Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Skilled worker......enough points ?

Wikiposts

Skilled worker......enough points ?

Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice
Default Skilled worker......enough points ?

Hi,

The time has come to go for it.

I'm a fully qualified GSR (CORGI) gas fitter, commercial and domestic. Been doing this since i was 20 and now 43.

My educational history is this, attended secondary school and passed a handful of GCSE/CSE's. Left at 16.

Went straight into a building services consultancy run by two partners. Attended college to do an ONC in HVAC (heating, ventilation and air con), all drawing board work with a fair bit of design. It was college one day a week, four days at the office.

Three quarters of the way through the second year the two partners spilt and had to let me go. They stopped the college fees and i dropped out so i didn't actually finish the second year.

Then joined a plumbing company at 18 years old and served as a two year apprentice but it was there own 'made up' one, no exams at the end, 100% on site work. It was not overseen or involved with any certification company/organization at all. It was set in place to move you up the payment ladder.

Around 32, i went self employed and went and did all the domestic ACS (CORGI) exams and passed them all. This was a 4-6 week course. Also, did other short courses such as unvented water systems (CITB) and Electrical appliance testing ( City and Guilds).

I'm assuming that because in didn't finish the initial ONC college course, that counts as nothing. Again, i assume the on site training i was given by my first plumbing company counts for nothing. That only leaves my shorter CORGI etc courses that certainly don't add up to 2 years addition education on top of my secondary school education.

In order to make the magical 67, i'm pretty sure in need the extra 2 years ?

Sorry, guys, very long winded.

D
Old Mar 14th 2010, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

bikeguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled worker......enough points ?

do the self assessment test on the cic website, if your short you can look at getting arranged employment which gives you 15 points in total.

You need get a red seal for the qualifications in canada all that is needed is proof of 9000 hours of work and a test believe. so you will be considered a journeyman in your trade.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

The Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really niceThe Marvins is just really nice

Originally Posted by powerwrap
Hi,

I'm a fully qualified GSR (CORGI) gas fitter, commercial and domestic. Been doing this since i was 20 and now 43.

My educational history is this, attended secondary school and passed a handful of GCSE/CSE's. Left at 16.

Went straight into a building services consultancy run by two partners. Attended college to do an ONC in HVAC (heating, ventilation and air con), all drawing board work with a fair bit of design. It was college one day a week, four days at the office.

Three quarters of the way through the second year the two partners spilt and had to let me go. They stopped the college fees and i dropped out so i didn't actually finish the second year.

Then joined a plumbing company at 18 years old and served as a two year apprentice but it was there own 'made up' one, no exams at the end, 100% on site work. It was not overseen or involved with any certification company/organization at all. It was set in place to move you up the payment ladder.

Around 32, i went self employed and went and did all the domestic ACS (CORGI) exams and passed them all. This was a 4-6 week course. Also, did other short courses such as unvented water systems (CITB) and Electrical appliance testing ( City and Guilds).

I'm assuming that because in didn't finish the initial ONC college course, that counts as nothing. Again, i assume the on site training i was given by my first plumbing company counts for nothing. That only leaves my shorter CORGI etc courses that certainly don't add up to 2 years addition education on top of my secondary school education.

D
Hi dont mean to put a downer on this, but are you sure that Gas fitter is still on the trades on demand list? I applied as a gas fitter in 2008 and it was definatly on the list then but i only think its plumbers now. As far as your experience goes in respect of apprenticeship i didnt do one either as long as you can show all your certificates you will be fine. I did the corgi home study course and then sat all my ACS exams. I have been self employed for the past 6 years and qualified for FSW.
Please PM back to me if you need any more info
Lee
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Are you able to get a letter from the company you did the Apprenticeship for? What you need to do is count up all your education...all the years in education and then you should also be able to claim the Apprenticeship/ trade Certificate as your level....to my mind...you have enough points.
Do the self assessment using that criteria and you should come out okay.

Have a look at the links below as to how the official websites define an Apprenticeship/trade Certificate. We used the Police 2 year Probation period as proof of Apprenticeship/trade Cert without a problem and that did not result in any formal documentation, but was tested throughout, with both in the classroom and 'on the job' training

The Gov of BC website
http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/careers/pl...te/apprent.htm

I did have 3 of them, but the links for two were no longer working
They do say broadly the same, definition wise....I have a hard copy....but as I said the lins did not work (I have had this info for 4 years)

Hope this helps
Stef

Hi,

D

Last edited by lins and Stef McLachlan; Mar 16th 2010 at 7:36 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

D
Hi Powerwrap
Looking at your educational history you could fall short on points in the education section as you didnt obtain any certification ( on paper )
You've no problem in the experience section of the points. I would seek clarification from an ' expert ' on your overall options.
I wish you all the best with any future application .
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Our Police Probation was not certified and we had no problem with it. You just have to prove that it was a 2-4 year training programme...in school and on the job.
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by joinerboy
Hi Powerwrap
Looking at your educational history you could fall short on points in the education section as you didnt obtain any certification ( on paper )
You've no problem in the experience section of the points. I would seek clarification from an ' expert ' on your overall options.
I wish you all the best with any future application .
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
Our Police Probation was not certified and we had no problem with it. You just have to prove that it was a 2-4 year training programme...in school and on the job.
lol
Stef

Hi stef
Powertrap mentioned his apprenticeship was '100% on site work'.
Would you have obtained enough points in the 'education' section without
your police probation ?

Last edited by joinerboy; Mar 16th 2010 at 9:24 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

D
Hi Powerwrap
checkout this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op06-eng.pdf

sections 6.3 & 10.2 may be of interest and help to you .
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

Lee,

Was your home study documented in any way....i.e logging onto a training site or something that CIC wanted proof of ?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Hi Lee,

Sent you a PM
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by joinerboy
Hi Powerwrap
checkout this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...p/op06-eng.pdf

sections 6.3 & 10.2 may be of interest and help to you .
My interpretation of those two sections is that i don't qualify.