Skilled worker B.C?

Old Apr 17th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

jonnycross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled worker B.C?

Hey all,

Looking for a bit of advice, Im currently in B.C with visitors status living with my GF. We've been together since may 2011 but we don't qualify for common-law which is now 2 years i believe? I am currently on a waiting list for an IEC visa but am not so sure the outcomes going to be positive.

Ive read the 2013 skilled program is starting in may? I cant find the list of occupations that qualify for this as i dont think its been released yet?? Any chance that IT support would fall into that category? I have 8 years experience in the industry.

I read someone on here got rejected twice for an LMO for a job he already had. I dont know the reasons why, do you think if i can find an employer willing this is something i could be eligible for?? Im not ready to start thinking about going home

Also when i arrived in Canada i told immigration i was going to be here for 61 days, is this when my visa runs out? How can i extend it?

thanks
Old Apr 17th 2013, 6:37 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled worker B.C?

Hi

Originally Posted by jonnycross
Hey all,

Looking for a bit of advice, Im currently in B.C with visitors status living with my GF. We've been together since may 2011 but we don't qualify for common-law which is now 2 years i believe? I am currently on a waiting list for an IEC visa but am not so sure the outcomes going to be positive.

Ive read the 2013 skilled program is starting in may? I cant find the list of occupations that qualify for this as i dont think its been released yet?? Any chance that IT support would fall into that category? I have 8 years experience in the industry.

I read someone on here got rejected twice for an LMO for a job he already had. I dont know the reasons why, do you think if i can find an employer willing this is something i could be eligible for?? Im not ready to start thinking about going home

Also when i arrived in Canada i told immigration i was going to be here for 61 days, is this when my visa runs out? How can i extend it?

thanks
1. Common-law for Immigration purposes is 1 year.'
2. NOC list for May (or when ever) will probably not be released until the program start.
3. I doubt that IT support will be on the list.
4. Look at the stamp in your passport, if there is a date, then that is when your status expires, if no date or no document issued, then you got 6 months.
5. LMO was refused (usual case) is lack of advertising or Canadians/PRs available for the job.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. Common-law for Immigration purposes is 1 year.'
2. NOC list for May (or when ever) will probably not be released until the program start.
3. I doubt that IT support will be on the list.
4. Look at the stamp in your passport, if there is a date, then that is when your status expires, if no date or no document issued, then you got 6 months.
5. LMO was refused (usual case) is lack of advertising or Canadians/PRs available for the job.
Thanks for the quick response, basically my only option is LMO then and its not worth me looking at the skilled worker forms?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:22 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Only option is LMO?

It still looks like common law would work for you. Why not go down that route?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by james.mc
Only option is LMO?

It still looks like common law would work for you. Why not go down that route?
We haven't been living together for a full year yet
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnycross
I noticed that the Skilled occupation list has been released for the 2013 skilled worker program. I have 7 years experience in the IT support sector as a computer engineer. Where do i go from here how do i get one of the 300 places available? I have a lot of time on my hands and good friends around me that will help me anyway they can? Can someone head me in the right direction please?
You need to do what the CIC website states, although applications are not being accepted until May 4th.

I would suggest, if you are anticipating going this route, that you start to gather the necessary documentation and book IELTS testing and arrange to have your credentials recognised, get your ACPO certificate etc. With only a few places, you need to have everything in place ready to submit.

Old Apr 18th 2013, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

DingDandDoo is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone have the link for the points test they mention? They mention the current pass mark is 67, should i be able to see a link for this?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 8:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DingDandDoo
does anyone have the link for the points test they mention? They mention the current pass mark is 67, should i be able to see a link for this?
It's all on the CIC website - perhaps have an explore?

Here is the link for FSW - with a link on the page to ascertaining if you met the requirements - take the self assessment test.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point

The list has been released and IT support is not on it. Unless you have 1 year of full-time work experience as a programmer within the last 10 years, or an LMO and WP you will unfortunately not qualify under this year's FSW program.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firstchoice
The list has been released and IT support is not on it. Unless you have 1 year of full-time work experience as a programmer within the last 10 years, or an LMO and WP you will unfortunately not qualify under this year's FSW program.
The OP says he has 7 years experience as a computer engineer, which is on the list.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

ya, i.t support/computer engineer, same thing. Titles mean nothing in i.t im sure you will be ok. Im a network administrator, that is effectively a computer engineer.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest check the NOC lead statement and main duties very carefully against what you do/have done in the last 10 years. To me, the NOC appears to be oriented towards hardware engineers. Most IT support people IMHO will not qualify.

Lead statement:
"Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers) research, plan, design, develop, modify, evaluate and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware and related equipment, and information and communication system networks including mainframe systems, local and wide area networks, fibre-optic networks, wireless communication networks, intranets, the Internet and other data communications systems. They are employed by computer and telecommunication hardware manufacturers, by engineering, manufacturing and telecommunications firms, in information technology consulting firms, by governmental, educational and research institutions and in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors."

<snipped. Rule 7 - here is a link for the rest of the information instead> http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...spx?val65=2147

A network administrator might qualify, but check that your job's duties do not fall under NOC 2281 instead.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 19th 2013 at 3:00 pm. Reason: Rule 7
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

ya, i.t support/computer engineer, same thing. Titles mean nothing in i.t im sure you will be ok. Im a network administrator, that is effectively a computer engineer.
'Effectively a computer engineer' won't count I'm afraid. You need to actually be one, and to prove that you do the duties listed under that NOC code. If you don't, you won't qualify.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

ya i cover those duties in my job, i will just be a computer engineer so :-)
I can be what they want me to be haha
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

ya i cover those duties in my job, i will just be a computer engineer so :-)
OK, so as long as all your employment proof (references, employment contract, job description etc) clearly say that you do those duties, then you should qualify under that NOC code.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.