Skilled Worker 2014

Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

mist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skilled Worker 2014

Hi guys

I have a friend in the US (non citizen/resident) who has been legally admitted there since 2012.

He is considering migrating to Canada as a skilled worker (Federal Skilled Worker). He is currently winding up his Masters degree in the US and has some work experience in his field.

What he wanted to know was whether he can apply for immigration while his master's degree is pending (he will graduate in December) and claim the points for that level of education?

Also, the funds that need to be provided as a proof of financial status -are they required at the time of application or after his residency application is approved?

Thank you for clarifying.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 5:13 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Worker 2014

Hi

Originally Posted by mist3rh
Hi guys

I have a friend in the US (non citizen/resident) who has been legally admitted there since 2012.

He is considering migrating to Canada as a skilled worker (Federal Skilled Worker). He is currently winding up his Masters degree in the US and has some work experience in his field.

What he wanted to know was whether he can apply for immigration while his master's degree is pending (he will graduate in December) and claim the points for that level of education?

Also, the funds that need to be provided as a proof of financial status -are they required at the time of application or after his residency application is approved?

Thank you for clarifying.

1. No, as his Masters is not complete.
2. Required at the time of application.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

mist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond reputemist3rh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. He went onto the website and there is a tool that requires you to answer a few questions and at the end it tells you if you are eligible to apply for immigration.

He completed that and the answer was he wasn't eligible.

However, if you read the actual eligibility criteria he meets all the requirements including the points test.

Could someone point in the right direction please?

Thanks
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:10 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

There was a thread a few days ago saying that the online tool was borked.
Probably still is.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

fair enough...maybe that is what it is then. there is one thing that we'd wanted to clarify though. There is a per occupation cap of 1000 and an overall cap of 25000. Based on the website, it doesn't appear that cap has been met for any occupation and even the total is only merely 500 or so applications. Is that accurate? I would have imagined alot of people would have applied for immigration.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:34 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

fair enough...maybe that is what it is then. there is one thing that we'd wanted to clarify though. There is a per occupation cap of 1000 and an overall cap of 25000. Based on the website, it doesn't appear that cap has been met for any occupation and even the total is only merely 500 or so applications. Is that accurate? I would have imagined alot of people would have applied for immigration.
No, they are still opening applications received in May.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

bernadette_li is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, interesting. At what point is a cut off genuine though? Should people bother? It costs money for folks to apply..
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

No, they are still opening applications received in May.

So what does that mean ? that there isn't any point to apply ? What if you apply and the cap has reached? would they return the application ? and the money ?
Old Aug 14th 2014, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

well, i just checked on the website and it says the numbers are updated once a week. For PHD stream, the last updated numbers were posted on 8th August so I'm sensing the other numbers are probably just as accurate.

about 887 applications so far against a cap of 25000.

Last edited by mist3rh; Aug 14th 2014 at 2:52 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

well, i just checked on the website and it says the numbers are updated once a week. For PHD stream, the last updated numbers were posted on 8th August so I'm sensing the other numbers are probably just as accurate.

about 887 applications so far against a cap of 25000.
Well if you believe those numbers, I have some property for sale, that can be visited a low tide.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

i would have better reason to believe a government site than someone randomly claiming otherwise
Old Aug 14th 2014, 4:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

i would have better reason to believe a government site than someone randomly claiming otherwise
The CIC website Applications we will accept – Federal skilled workers states:
The number of complete federal skilled worker applications received since May 4, 2014 is an estimate.

Note: Due to the large number of applications we get, we cannot check that each one is complete on the same day it gets to the office. The numbers on this page are updated at least once a week, but are only a guide.
If you look at this spreadsheet (courtesy of another forum) you will see that over 2,000 applications have been submitted just from people who are members of that forum. If you consider that the majority of people are not members of said forum, the numbers are likely to be considerably higher. The estimate on the CIC website is only of applications that they have opened and are considered 'complete' and able to be processed. It doesn't include the thousands they have yet to open.

PMM is a valued and highly respected member, not 'some random person' and his knowledge of immigration matters is extensive. You would do well to heed him.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 14th 2014 at 4:42 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 4:40 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you don't believe PMM and believe the updates on the CIC website then can you nip out and get me a couple of unicorns and some rocking horse shit while your at it and say hi to the tooth fairy as well

Old Aug 14th 2014, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just FYI, PMM isn't some 'random person', he does actually have knowledge that's worth listening to.

And there's simply no way that the numbers on the CIC website are accurate - they've always been inaccurate (for example, a cap has been met and that hasn't been updated properly for 2 months afterwards) and I don't see why this year would be any different.

As Siouxie said, the numbers just from another forum show that the CIC count is very wrong, so I'd ignore it completely if I were you.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

alright. I'll accept 3 endorsements for PMM and his point of view. And if that being true, I can imagine what a mess the whole application processing system/team would be right now with an influx of these many and more applications. There is also a possibility of many being disqualified/incomplete for whatever reason too.

Nonetheless, the questions remains - what would happen if one was to apply and by the time the application is reviewed or even before it is reviewed the cap (either occupational or overall) is reached? Would they return the application along with the fee or would it be processed under new rules? I read somewhere that once the new system begins, you'd have to re-apply if your application was not accepted under previous schemes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.