Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Skilled Worked Application, Category 2 - HRSDC Confirmation

Skilled Worked Application, Category 2 - HRSDC Confirmation

Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:55 am
Just Joined

Beakster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled Worked Application, Category 2 - HRSDC Confirmation

Hi,

I am currently working in Toronto on an Open Temp Work Permit I got through Bunac. It expired end of August 2010 and I would like to stay past that time so I am applying for Permanent Residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Class.

I have some questions and I have found the people in the call centre to be useless for answering them, so hoping you guys can help

So my situation is that I am a Computer Programmer, I came here in August and spent some time finding work. I am now in a good job with a big international company here in Toronto. I have a job offer for the job I am in so I would like to apply for the Skilled Worker visa under Category 2.

From IMM EG7000 PDF page 4
"you have an offer of arranged employment in Canada. The employment offer should be:
-in writing,
- indeterminate in duration, and
- meet the arranged employment factor described in this guide."
So my offer is in writing and indeterminate in duration. When I follow the link to the guide it takes me to page 14, where they have 3 categories, each worth 10 points. But you can only get a maximum of 10 points for the section, so only one needs apply.

The first says "If: You are currently working in Canada on a work permit" And:
Your work permit is valid when you apply for a permanent resident visa and
 Your employer has made an offer to give you a permanent job if your application is successful.
Note: Your work permit must be valid at the time your permanent resident visa is issued.
Now I believe I match this exactly so I wasn't worrying. I got a copy of my job offer ready to send off with my forms. However, I got worried when I saw the document checklist IMM 5612. As under the category 2 section it asks for:

- A photocopy of your work permit if you are working in Canada currently. (No problem its the one I got through Bunac and is in my Passport).. and
-a photocopy of the HRSDC/Service Canada confirmation letter (Arranged Employment Opinion) which was sent you your employer. (Problem)

I don't have such a letter. I did some investigation and discovered that to get this my employer must apply for it and it takes 10 weeks. So this makes me wonder if I need it or not as I would like to start this application process as soon as possible.

So the question is.... do I need to get this HRSDC letter before I can submit my visa application?

Thanks
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice
Default Re: Skilled Worked Application, Category 2 - HRSDC Confirmation

As you've got an Open Work Permit, your employer didn't need to get HRSDC confirmation (LMO) before employing you, but if they're offering you a permanent position, your employer will need to apply for AEO (check to make sure your job isn't exempt first) to go with your job offer and application.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Beakster is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure I need an AEO?

Factor 5
Arranged employment
(maximum of 10 points)Determine your points based on the chart below:

If: And: Points
1. You are currently working in Canada on a work permit. Your work permit is valid when you apply for a permanent resident visa and;
2. Your employer has made an offer to give you a permanent job if your application is successful.
Note: Your work permit must be valid at the time your permanent resident visa is issued.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...72.asp#factor5
When I looked up my job (Computer Programmer/Developer/Software Engineer) it comes out as NOC 2174. However, it also matches NOC 9990.6 at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/itw-jobs.asp#jobs6. Does this mean its exempt? Or is that site only for Temp Work Permits?

Thanks
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beakster
Are you sure I need an AEO?

When I looked up my job (Computer Programmer/Developer/Software Engineer) it comes out as NOC 2174. However, it also matches NOC 9990.6 at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/itw-jobs.asp#jobs6. Does this mean its exempt? Or is that site only for Temp Work Permits?

Thanks
I'm not 100% - but I think this is for the Temporary Foreign Worker program. I could be wrong! Because you're applying for PR, and have an OWP without a position LMO, I think you need the AEO to accompany your application and offer.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob120.asp

For SW2 (arranged employment offer) proof of the arranged employment offer (AEO) must be included in the application. The AEO should be sufficiently detailed to support the claim that an offer of employment has been made to the applicant on an indeterminate basis.

If you had a positive LMO and TWP, then you'd attach those to your application ....

If the applicant has a permanent job offer confirmed by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC)/Service Canada, a photocopy of the confirmation which was sent to the employer should also be included.