skilled visa how long?

Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

bluefishman is an unknown quantity at this point
Question skilled visa how long?

hi, i am hoping to get a job offer from a company and sponsored so they pay most costs do paperwork etc, i would have to take journeymans exam after 6months in plumbing/heating question is how long does the visa last for do you have to reapply? would look to get pr as soon as possible, how long does this take if in country and woking?, thanks for your replys in advance andy.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 7:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: skilled visa how long?

Originally Posted by bluefishman
hi, i am hoping to get a job offer from a company and sponsored so they pay most costs do paperwork etc, i would have to take journeymans exam after 6months in plumbing/heating question is how long does the visa last for do you have to reapply? would look to get pr as soon as possible, how long does this take if in country and woking?, thanks for your replys in advance andy.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

For a company to get a LMO can take between 6 weeks and 6 months, depending on how strong the application is (i.e. how much it's been advertised and their proof that no Canadian has applied who could do the job), and depending on the province. You could then apply for your Temp Work Permit at the airport you fly into, or via London CHC (which takes around 6-8 weeks). It will usually be for between 1 and 3 years, it will depend as to how long they give you.

And PR would take approx 6-12 months. But, if you're a plumber, why don't you just apply as a Skilled Worker now? Now is not a great time to be going via a TWP as there are so many people being made redundant and people on TWP's are usually the first to go (lots on this forum that it's happened to). At least if you go with PR you've got the right to find another job and stay in the country if the worst happens. If I were you, I'd definitely consider doing that instead.

Hope that helps, good luck.