Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:00 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 186
Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future
Default Re: Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It is possible only for native English or French speakers. Currently all visa posts ask for IELTS from all applicants who's mother's tongue is not English and who are not native English speakers, born, raised, educated and experienced in predominantly English speaking country. Similarly with French TEF test.

Only native speakers of English or French can submit substitute evidence - their own submission letter supported by evidence showing that they were born, raised, educated and gained experience in predominantly English or French language country.
ok, I will add that my information is April08 and refers to the Paris CIC -- might be different for all other CICs.

edited to add: although, as I pointed out, I would highly recommend the standardized tests even if, as in Paris, they are not required.

(so, agree with the forum's expert).
Ikatita is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:05 pm
  #17  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 8
redbaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It is possible only for native English or French speakers. Currently all visa posts ask for IELTS from all applicants who's mother's tongue is not English and who are not native English speakers, born, raised, educated and experienced in predominantly English speaking country. Similarly with French TEF test.

Only native speakers of English or French can submit substitute evidence - their own submission letter supported by evidence showing that they were born, raised, educated and gained experience in predominantly English or French language country.
Andrew, thanks for your reply. I've got a certificate from UETESOL with 4 A's and 1 B back in 1999. This is an University entrance assessment of English for speakers of other languages, i.e., a test to find out whether you have a level of English to attend British Universities. I was hoping that this would suffice, futhermore we have attended post-grad and now Master's course at British Universities. If we are not fluent in English how can we write essays, do presentations, etc. DO you think we should still take IELTS?

I may go to the Sao Paulo route (80% @ 14 months); however I now do understand the importance of a job offer. We need to get our heads together and draw a plan of what/when we want to achieve. Because my wife will not agree in finishing her Master's in Canada; I believe this 2-year gap will be wasted. Hence my desire to apply without a job offer.
redbaron is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:14 pm
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 186
Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future
Default Re: Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

redbaron: if you use testing as a way to prove your fluency, only the IELTS and the TEF will be accepted.

the importance of a job offer:
CIC will change immigration rules.
Under the new rules, only PR applications with a pre-arranged job will be considered.
These new rules will apply retroactively to all Skilled Workers PR applications received from February 2008 onwards.
Some, yet to be defined, professions will get an exception.

Therefore, instead of gambling (i.e. hoping that your job will be on the exception list), the recommendation is to arrange for jobs for both of you.
Ikatita is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:25 pm
  #19  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 8
redbaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Originally Posted by Ikatita
redbaron: if you use testing as a way to prove your fluency, only the IELTS and the TEF will be accepted.

the importance of a job offer:
CIC will change immigration rules.
Under the new rules, only PR applications with a pre-arranged job will be considered.
These new rules will apply retroactively to all Skilled Workers PR applications received from February 2008 onwards.
Some, yet to be defined, professions will get an exception.

Therefore, instead of gambling (i.e. hoping that your job will be on the exception list), the recommendation is to arrange for jobs for both of you.
Ikatita, thanks for your reply. I must find a job, however being so far away, it seems a kind of "impossible" task. I am still digesting the wiki

the importance of a job offer:
CIC will change immigration rules.
Under the new rules, only PR applications with a pre-arranged job will be considered.
These new rules will apply retroactively to all Skilled Workers PR applications received from February 2008 onwards.
Some, yet to be defined, professions will get an exception.
Is it a public domain info or an inside tip???

Last edited by redbaron; Aug 27th 2008 at 11:30 pm.
redbaron is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:35 pm
  #20  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 186
Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future
Default Re: Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Originally Posted by redbaron
Ikatita, thanks for your reply. I must find a job, however being so far away, it seems a kind of "impossible" task. I am still digesting the wiki
yes, hard, that's for sure.

I myself have applied for skilled worker/PR in Aug06, and am waiting on the next step in the process. I understand, it would much help my file, if I found employment. I also understand that the new rules might also (even though they probably won't) apply to my file. Therefore, it would be best for me to find employment first.

And I am in the same case as you: here in Europe.

Anyway, apart from using the phone at nighttime to do networking, one good way of hunting for that job seems to be to actually fly to Canada and meet potential employers and others that might be helpful for your networking process.
Ikatita is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:39 pm
  #21  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 186
Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future
Default Re: Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Originally Posted by redbaron

Is it a public domain info or an inside tip???
absolutely public.

I restated in more explicit terms what Andrew wrote to you earlier in this thread.

Do read the Wiki...
Ikatita is offline  
Old Oct 15th 2008, 3:38 am
  #22  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 120
jhorsfield30 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Is that the only change the harper government has instigated so far?
jhorsfield30 is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2009, 3:36 am
  #23  
Edo
BE Forum Addict
 
Edo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Near the Northern Lights
Posts: 1,469
Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Hi all

Found this post from last year while turning pages from the forum. Would anyone like to comment if IELTS is still a requirement under the new rules for non-native English speakers who can prove that they have degrees from British universities and working on professional positions. I'm sure CIC can understand that there are certain jobs which are meant to be only for qualified individuals and getting into those jobs and progressing through the career ladder could only be possible if one has the guts for it. And I suppose English speaking and understanding ability is just one of them if you are living in an English speaking country. Least to mention the use of Language in social settings.
Edo is offline  
Old Jan 21st 2009, 5:17 am
  #24  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Immigration - Few Q's

Hi

Originally Posted by adnan_hsn
Hi all

Found this post from last year while turning pages from the forum. Would anyone like to comment if IELTS is still a requirement under the new rules for non-native English speakers who can prove that they have degrees from British universities and working on professional positions. I'm sure CIC can understand that there are certain jobs which are meant to be only for qualified individuals and getting into those jobs and progressing through the career ladder could only be possible if one has the guts for it. And I suppose English speaking and understanding ability is just one of them if you are living in an English speaking country. Least to mention the use of Language in social settings.
If you were not born and raised and had ALL your education in English as well as it was the language at home, you will have to take the IELTS.
PMM is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.