Wikiposts

SIN Troubles (again)

Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:15 am
Just Joined

Aquas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SIN Troubles (again)

I recently posted my initial problem here at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336262 and I thank those who replied to my question.

I took the advice and went out looking for some work and not too long ago someone called me up saying they wanted to meet me. (Hurray I though all too soon.) till he asked if I had my SIN. I explained what my situation was and he said sadly without my SIN they can't hire me as it's a requirement these days.

Now after talking to a robot on the phone at the PR center it seems it can take 16 weeks to get my card and then on top of that it's gonna be another 4 weeks after I get my PR card before I get my SIN (What am I gonna do without work for 5 months?) However the guy who called me mentioned perhaps I could get a work visa as a temporary measure so I could work. But after looking on the net I've found two problems. 1) It seems to get a work visa I need to have a job offer and 2) I can't find any phone numbers anywhere so I can phone anyone (who's not a robot) for information.

What do I do? Do I resign myself to my fate and spend the next 5 months in front of the TV or is there a small ray of hope for me yet?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:49 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SIN Troubles (again)

First you must apply for PR Card and during that process it will be determined if you are still a PR (highly unlikely as you didn't meet residency obligations regardless what you said or omit to say at the Canadian port of entry to gain admission as PR). SIN is probably the least of your problems.

If by some strange luck and your misrepresentation (yes, misrepresentation as only if you lied on PR Card application such will be granted) you get PR Card then go to HRSDC office to apply for SIN and ask them for number so you can start working before actual SIN card arrives.

Originally Posted by Aquas
I recently posted my initial problem here at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336262 and I thank those who replied to my question.

I took the advice and went out looking for some work and not too long ago someone called me up saying they wanted to meet me. (Hurray I though all too soon.) till he asked if I had my SIN. I explained what my situation was and he said sadly without my SIN they can't hire me as it's a requirement these days.

Now after talking to a robot on the phone at the PR center it seems it can take 16 weeks to get my card and then on top of that it's gonna be another 4 weeks after I get my PR card before I get my SIN (What am I gonna do without work for 5 months?) However the guy who called me mentioned perhaps I could get a work visa as a temporary measure so I could work. But after looking on the net I've found two problems. 1) It seems to get a work visa I need to have a job offer and 2) I can't find any phone numbers anywhere so I can phone anyone (who's not a robot) for information.

What do I do? Do I resign myself to my fate and spend the next 5 months in front of the TV or is there a small ray of hope for me yet?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks for telling me the process which I already knew and not actually answering my question about the work visa.

And we're not misrepresenting ourselves as I sadly forgot to mention in any of my posts is that we have been allowed to return as residents as my sister is Canadian by birth and as she is still a dependant we were allowed into the country as I stated.

This was all done through the official channels. (I'd show you the visa which says I am a permanent resident that I was issued in my passport but I don't have anywhere to host a picture.)
Old Nov 10th 2005, 5:05 am

Your sister's status is irrelevant for your or your parent's status. An error was made by officer during admission. It is only a child who is a PR and is accompanying a Canadian citizen parent abroad who can claim days abroad as days in Canada for the purpose of meeting residency obligation - it is not the parent and definitely not siblings who can use this claim. Read the law here:

http://www.canlii.org/ca/sta/i-2.5/sec28.html

Section 28(2)(ii) says clearly:

----------------------------------
(ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent,
----------------------------------

Only if you would have been abroad as a dependent child (as defined in IRPA and Regs) accompanying your parent who is a Canadian citizen you would be able to use the above to keep your PR status.

So, once it is determined that you are not longer a PR then if you want to work in Canada you need to apply for work permit after employer who offers you job applies for and receives approval from HRSDC (Labour Market Opinion) after proving that despite extensive nationwide search no Canadian employee was found.

But if you got a Travel Document before returning now to Canada (I only guess that it is what you are refering to as "visa") stating that you are a PR it means that for some reason you got extremely lucky or you don't know all facts that led to approval of Travel Document application. When applying for TD abroad the determination if you still have PR status has to be made - and if it was determined for reason you didn't state here thay you are a PR then your status should be OK, unless it is later determined that officer issuing TD made error.

Thanks for telling me the process which I already knew and not actually answering my question about the work visa.

And we're not misrepresenting ourselves as I sadly forgot to mention in any of my posts is that we have been allowed to return as residents as my sister is Canadian by birth and as she is still a dependant we were allowed into the country as I stated.

This was all done through the official channels. (I'd show you the visa which says I am a permanent resident that I was issued in my passport but I don't have anywhere to host a picture.)

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Nov 10th 2005 at 6:08 am.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:06 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

he said sadly without my SIN they can't hire me as it's a requirement these days.
He is wrong, otherwise no one who comes here on a work permit could ever possibly start work as the SIN card comes after the landing process, which comes after the hiring process.

If I were you I would keep trying. You've nothing to lose, and maybe someone out there will either hire you without it, or remember you when/if it does come, although it sounds like your PR status is iffy at best.

Good Luck
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:12 am
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

For what it is worth:

I got a job and started work - then got the SIN card and 98 days later got the PR Card.

There is a process which can be used to speed up the processing of SIN cards. The issue is with how happy your employer is with you not having an SIN number when you start. My employers were happy to explain why they didnt want to wait for me to get the card when they could have me working whilst I waited. They knew my SIN number before me following a quick phone call.

Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:54 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The sister is canadian by birth. Her parents at least have a claim to PR based on that dont they? As a minor wouldnt they be allowed to accompany her, even if they had to reapply for PR through sponsorship or something?

reunification
12. (1) A foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Your sister's status is irrelevant for your or your parent's status.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 10th 2005 at 6:56 am.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:27 am

It has nothing to do with matter at hand. Of course that daughter may sponsor parents when and if she qualifies to do so.

Matter at hand is the original poster's claim that they were allowed to return to Canada as Canadian PR's regardless not meeting residency obligations by virtue of sister being Canadian by birth. It just doesn't work that way.

Originally Posted by iaink
The sister is canadian by birth. Her parents at least have a claim to PR based on that dont they? As a minor wouldnt they be allowed to accompany her, even if they had to reapply for PR through sponsorship or something?

reunification
12. (1) A foreign national may be selected as a member of the family class on the basis of their relationship as the spouse, common-law partner, child, parent or other prescribed family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Hi,

I don't want to get into the how you got in, what was said/not said etc as I am not qualified to comment, that is Mr Miller's forte.

But, we went to HRSDC after we received our PR cards and they then told us that we could have got them using the COPR that we were given back when we landed

Louise
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Hey I don't understand how we got in I just came along with my family because they said we could return to the country. Basically when my Dad went to apply for immigration into the country we were given a set of documents and told that because my sister was a Canadian citizen we could get into the country as we did. Now I do remember my Dad noticing the specific wording of the documents to what Mr. Miller here said. Now he thought they'd made a mistake and sent us the wrong papers but when he called to ask them about it they told him that the forms that had been sent were viable for us.

Anyway I guess I'll find out the situation when they either send us our PR cards or deny them straight out. Either way I will post on here to let anyone who cares what the outcome was.