Sin number and PR card help

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

kamshaft is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sin number and PR card help

Hi guys.

For the past year I was in canada on my IEC visa and from April 2014 I became a PR.

When I was on my IEC I applied for a Sin number which is due to expire in the next few weeks. But as I haven't received my pr card yet (sent off for a replacement) as it was lost in the post I cant renew my Sin number! Service canada wont let me

How would this effect me getting payed as im in full time employment? And is there anyway I can contact immigration canada to see tye status od my replacement pr card?

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 1:53 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sin number and PR card help

You don't need the PR card , just your COPR that shows you have landed as a PR.

we landed one day and got our SIN the next , we didn't get the PR cards until weeks after

google says this :

Permanent residents

You must provide one of the following primary documents:

Permanent Resident Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This is the only acceptable document if your claim was processed in Canada.

Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND visa counterfoil affixed to a foreign passport or a travel document

Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND foreign passport for visa exempt countries

Record of Landing issued before June 28, 2002.

Verification of landing. This document is provided when an original of the Record of Landing or the Confirmation of Permanent Residence is not available (i.e. lost, misplaced, etc.).

Status Verification, also known as "Verification of Status", is considered an acceptable document to support the client's status in Canada when applying for a confirmation of SIN or updating the SIN record.

Last edited by Zoe Bell; Jul 2nd 2014 at 1:55 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Yep I took in my copr and my passport but the lady at service canada said the copr was only valud for 90 days
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 2:36 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

try another office. or a supervisor at that office.
print out their own website and show them that it doesn't say that anywhere.

How can it when they'll accept a record of landing from pre 2002?

you do not need a pr card to get your SIN
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 3:02 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kamshaft
Hi guys.

For the past year I was in canada on my IEC visa and from April 2014 I became a PR.

When I was on my IEC I applied for a Sin number which is due to expire in the next few weeks. But as I haven't received my pr card yet (sent off for a replacement) as it was lost in the post I cant renew my Sin number! Service canada wont let me

How would this effect me getting payed as im in full time employment? And is there anyway I can contact immigration canada to see tye status od my replacement pr card?

Thanks for your help
In the short term not having a current SIN should not affect you getting paid. They should have a current SIN to issue a ROE and T4 when you leave or at the end of the year. Whatever CRA should be able to tie the two together if a ROE or T4 were issued in the old number.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help guys...

Feel so annoyed that I was told the wrong info by the lady at service canada. I took a half day off work to get this done and accomplished nothing.

Cheers
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 4:50 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Feel so annoyed that I was told the wrong info by the lady at service canada. I took a half day off work to get this done and accomplished nothing.

Cheers
Just a note, you will only get the SIN number, Service Canada no longer produces the SIN card.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
I got my new SIN in April after getting my PR. Did it the day after landing, took maybe 5 minutes.

Did you provide an address when you landed? If so you should be getting your PR card any time now. 2 months they say for first time PR cards. I am just over that 2 month mark (landed in April also) so I gave CIC Call Centre a ring and eventually they told me it was sent out end of last week!
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 7:27 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I landed in Saskatoon at the local office and (on the advice of CIC) immediately walked the three blocks to Service Canada and got my new SIN.

All I needed was the COPR cop. The fact I didn't have a PR card never came up.