Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Simplified process - Second Language!?

Simplified process - Second Language!?

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat029 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Simplified process - Second Language!?

Hello All, first time poster - I have read lots of the forum, but nothing that addresses my (silly simple) question.

I am going to try the simplified process for PR - rightly or wrongly as I know it looks like this way is now subject to some new rules so it may backfire, but if I dont try I wont know!! I have previously worked under the BUNAC scheme in AB for nearly a year, and saw a lot of Canada - such an awesome place, and the more I think about it, the more I want to head back there...

Anyway... My question relates to the simplified question sheet and it may be the most stupid query in the world, but where it says Second Language - English or French - what should I put!? I have basic Reading/Writing/Spoken French language skills, which I will be topping up with night courses, but I certainly wouldnt say it was my 'Second official language'! I dont want to complete it wrongly and have it sent back to me!

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat029; Jun 23rd 2008 at 7:56 pm. Reason: title change
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:20 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Simplified process - Second Language!?

Hi & welcome.

If you want to claim points for proficiency in a 2nd language you will have to sit an offically recognised language exam. For French, this is called the TEF & is usually run by Alliance Francaise groups. I have looked into the possibility of sitting this test myself - most people's feedback has been that it is rather difficult.
The speaking exam put me off as I understand you have to put forward a 'discussion' of a given topic. My point is, you would have to be fairly confident in your abilities.

Seeing as it is just the simplified application though, you would have plenty of time to swot up.

Best of luck

Edited to add: Do you need the points that the 2nd language gives you? Just a thought.

Last edited by ireland2canada; Jun 23rd 2008 at 8:22 pm. Reason: to add a bit
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat029 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your helpful response!! I am scraping through on points without the second language part - so I may just mention the fact that I intend on taking evening classes in the covering letter (hopefully they will read it!)

I may just not tick the box on the question regarding second language then?! I could scrawl n/a next to it?!

Just dont want it sent back to me!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

jhorsfield30 is on a distinguished road

Anyone know if they accept GCSE'S and A-levels as proof of french language capability?
Thanks
jon
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jhorsfield30
Anyone know if they accept GCSE'S and A-levels as proof of french language capability?
Thanks
jon
No, if you want to claim the points for ability in French you need to sit the TEF to gain conclusive proof.

I didn't find it as hard as I expected, the key was to get the book and cassettes/CDS to learn the FORMAT of the exam so you know what to expect.

I got enough marks to earn me 6 of the 8 available points. I took the TEF in April 2006 after taking A/S French evening classes to get me back into learning and using the language, but then sat the TEF instead of the A/S exam. Prior to that I had GCSE French from 9 years previously, and hadn't used the language in between.

Last edited by adele; Oct 3rd 2008 at 9:06 pm.