British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Signing mistake on application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/signing-mistake-application-758948/)

sliam37 May 21st 2012 5:19 am

Signing mistake on application

Hi,

We submitted our FSW application on November 25th. Found out by chance in February that it had been returned the previous month. OVER THREE MONTHS LATER it finally turned up - (why, oh why, can't they courier it??). A very vague description: problem with background declaration. We assume the problem was that we were applying under FSW in my husband's name and I was the one that signed the spouse's background declaration. Please can someone just confirm that my husband should have signed it before we reapply!

sdo1982 May 21st 2012 6:39 am

Re: Signing mistake on application

Originally Posted by sliam37 (Post 10073174)
Hi,

We submitted our FSW application on November 25th. Found out by chance in February that it had been returned the previous month. OVER THREE MONTHS LATER it finally turned up - (why, oh why, can't they courier it??). A very vague description: problem with background declaration. We assume the problem was that we were applying under FSW in my husband's name and I was the one that signed the spouse's background declaration. Please can someone just confirm that my husband should have signed it before we reapply!

It depends, if it is a FSW1 application, then i am afraid you need to wait as the cap of 10,000 applications has been reached. So then its a wait and see if the occupation remains on the "List" and if so, check for any changes in forms or requirements before you re-submit.
If it is FSW2 then yes, just correct the mistake and send it back in.

scribe123 May 21st 2012 6:56 am

Originally Posted by sliam37 (Post 10073174)
Hi,

Yes, my wife and I are filling those forms out at the moment. The spouse form has to be signed by the spouse.

That form is causing me stress. All addresses since the age of 18! Do their realise how much I moved around as a student!?!?!? I can't even remember street names of some of them (Google street view is fantastic for solving this problem BTW) :)

EDIT: I'm at work at the moment and will double check when I get home.

sliam37 Jun 9th 2012 12:18 am

Please will someone please clarify. We have just gone back over all the forms (again). The package came back (after 3.5 months) with a standard letter. The only box on the letter that is ticked is 'please see highlighted items on the enclosed checklist or enclosed appendix.'

Underneath the other part of the letter that has been highlighted is
'New REquirements: please visit the website of the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada for complete information about the new requirements.'

There is no appendix, and the only highlighted item in the Document Checklist is:
Schedule A: Background Declaration (IMM 5669) Completed dated and signed by: (and the part that is highlighted again is:) spouse or common-law partner (Whether they are accompanying or not).

The background declaration we enclosed is fully completed for both the principal applicant and spouse (me). I was the one that signed the spouse background declaration form - was it my husband, the principal applicant, that was meant to sign it?

Nothing else is amiss in the entire package. Someone at CIO has put random tick-type things on some pages with a red pen.

We cannot find anything on the website that suggests there is a problem. My husband is applying as a physio, FSW1 (that occupation never met its cap, and the application was returned on January 18th long before the 10 000 cap was reached).

Any suggestions much appreciated. We really want to leave our earthquake destroyed city and get to Canada!

Mary

manitobain Jun 9th 2012 1:12 am

Hi there,
spouse application needs to be signed by spouse, so the way you describe it, you should have done it right.
I can't remember when the new checklist came in place, could that have been the issue? IMM5612
did you follow that list?

other options might for you be to look at PNP..depending on which province you want to go (NS and MB have programs w/o needing to have a job offer necessarly). You will still have to fill out PR forms and send them to Sydney though, but you don't have to wait on lists/caps and such funny things. ;)

Ilse

AmyDavid Jun 9th 2012 1:22 am

Originally Posted by sliam37 (Post 10108727)
Please will someone please clarify. We have just gone back over all the forms (again). The package came back (after 3.5 months) with a standard letter. The only box on the letter that is ticked is 'please see highlighted items on the enclosed checklist or enclosed appendix.'

Underneath the other part of the letter that has been highlighted is
'New REquirements: please visit the website of the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada for complete information about the new requirements.'

There is no appendix, and the only highlighted item in the Document Checklist is:
Schedule A: Background Declaration (IMM 5669) Completed dated and signed by: (and the part that is highlighted again is:) spouse or common-law partner (Whether they are accompanying or not).

The background declaration we enclosed is fully completed for both the principal applicant and spouse (me). I was the one that signed the spouse background declaration form - was it my husband, the principal applicant, that was meant to sign it?

Nothing else is amiss in the entire package. Someone at CIO has put random tick-type things on some pages with a red pen.

We cannot find anything on the website that suggests there is a problem. My husband is applying as a physio, FSW1 (that occupation never met its cap, and the application was returned on January 18th long before the 10 000 cap was reached).

Any suggestions much appreciated. We really want to leave our earthquake destroyed city and get to Canada!

Mary

Did you submit a schedule 1 ( as it used to be) or a schedule a as it is now?

sliam37 Jun 9th 2012 5:42 am

Hi, thanks for replies.

Yes, Schedule A is where - apparently - the problem lies. We each completed one (no kids over 18), they are all filled in correctly, only difference is that we've each signed our own, and they are dated on two separate dates (ie: my husband's was signed on one date, mine was on the previous day).

Used the new and correct checklist, and nothing is missing out of that.

We really want to find a mistake so we can have some confidence when re-submitting. But at the moment it seems to be their mistake, which will be very annoying!

Mary

lydiaparr Jun 9th 2012 7:18 am

There's a 2011 few timeline thread in the immigration section somewhere.

People in that thread have had PERs, so ask people there that may have photocopied their application if they can the take a look at how they signed that form.

lydiaparr Jun 9th 2012 7:21 am

PS

If they give you an answer, please post back here so we know. We're filling that form out at the moment, so it will be good to know.

AmyDavid Jun 9th 2012 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by sliam37 (Post 10108949)
Hi, thanks for replies.

Yes, Schedule A is where - apparently - the problem lies. We each completed one (no kids over 18), they are all filled in correctly, only difference is that we've each signed our own, and they are dated on two separate dates (ie: my husband's was signed on one date, mine was on the previous day).

Used the new and correct checklist, and nothing is missing out of that.

We really want to find a mistake so we can have some confidence when re-submitting. But at the moment it seems to be their mistake, which will be very annoying!

Mary

Tht sounds really odd then as you have done it correctly and you both dating it on different days would make no difference. Though Without seeing your actual forms though and the letter it's hard to say why they have been returned.

sliam37 Jun 29th 2012 9:18 pm

Update!

have been busy over last week updating our application from November - needed new financial documents, police consent forms, photos (as other ones SEVEN months old, not six), updated forms as wanted recent date on.

Got it all together last night, having read and re-read instructions several times. And then my husband showed a stroke of genius when he read out - and this time it set off a spark - that we BOTH needed to have filled out IMO5406 - additional family information. We'd initially realised that about a year ago, according to the notes I'd made at the time, but then had never re-realised, and the way the form is worded added to the misperception.

So now we finally have a reason the application was returned. NOT, as they'd intimated with a highlighter pen, the spouse's background declaration form, but actually the additional family info form. And the random red ticks throughout our original package stop at the additional fam. info form my husband (PA) filled out - and then (now it's ovbvious) stop because that was where the missing document was.

I think as I have absolutely no other family it was even less obvious that I ever needed to fill that form out, so just didn't even occur to us. Duh!

So pleased we realise our mistake now, and thank goodness we did in time as it goes in the mail this morning, and we'd have gone through it all over again.

So very happy today - very upset we're 7 months behind where we would have been, but at least we realise it was our mistake now, and are more hopeful. Off for a day's skiing tomorrow to celebrate!

AmyDavid Jun 29th 2012 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by sliam37 (Post 10146716)
Update!

have been busy over last week updating our application from November - needed new financial documents, police consent forms, photos (as other ones SEVEN months old, not six), updated forms as wanted recent date on.

Got it all together last night, having read and re-read instructions several times. And then my husband showed a stroke of genius when he read out - and this time it set off a spark - that we BOTH needed to have filled out IMO5406 - additional family information. We'd initially realised that about a year ago, according to the notes I'd made at the time, but then had never re-realised, and the way the form is worded added to the misperception.

So now we finally have a reason the application was returned. NOT, as they'd intimated with a highlighter pen, the spouse's background declaration form, but actually the additional family info form. And the random red ticks throughout our original package stop at the additional fam. info form my husband (PA) filled out - and then (now it's ovbvious) stop because that was where the missing document was.

I think as I have absolutely no other family it was even less obvious that I ever needed to fill that form out, so just didn't even occur to us. Duh!

So pleased we realise our mistake now, and thank goodness we did in time as it goes in the mail this morning, and we'd have gone through it all over again.

So very happy today - very upset we're 7 months behind where we would have been, but at least we realise it was our mistake now, and are more hopeful. Off for a day's skiing tomorrow to celebrate!

hate to mention this but have you seen the news that CIC have but a hold on new FSW applications until January 2013 - unless you have a job offer?

sliam37 Jun 29th 2012 10:48 pm

Oh no, have been back and forth to the website and didn't see that anywhere. What a bloody nightmare, and just spent $60 posting the thing. Everything seems to be against us, and we're desperate to just put Christchurch behind us and move on. Bugger.

sliam37 Jun 29th 2012 10:54 pm

We did do a previous application so had a UCI number. I assume luck is against us and it won't count as a previous application? Does anyone know?

Hanging on to any slight thread of hope.

Mary

AmyDavid Jul 2nd 2012 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by sliam37 (Post 10146798)
We did do a previous application so had a UCI number. I assume luck is against us and it won't count as a previous application? Does anyone know?

Hanging on to any slight thread of hope.

Mary

If they returned your whole pack, then it will not count as a "current" application - so sadly luck is against you.