Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Should you apply for TWP and then apply for PR from inside Canada?

Should you apply for TWP and then apply for PR from inside Canada?

Old Mar 19th 2018, 4:54 am
Just Joined

World citizen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should you apply for TWP and then apply for PR from inside Canada?

Hi,
My wife and four kids are living on a work visa in Australia but keen to move to Canada. Our visa here will come to an end soon and we would like to have an arrangement in place before that happens.
Processing times for PR would be a bit too long so I wonder if we should find employment and get a TWP and apply for PR after one year from within Canada.
I am 51, my wife 48 and we have four kids 17,15,7 and 5
I am a tennis coach with 30 years experience and a high performance coach qualification, my wife is a retired ballet dancer and my oldest child about to finish school this year ready to enrol into university.
Should I seek consultation for a migration agent/lawyer for TWP or is this a straight forward application I could do from home?
Many many thanks in advance. Your insight and help is highly appreciated.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 7:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should you apply for TWP and then apply for PR from inside Canada?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by World citizen
Hi,
Processing times for PR would be a bit too long so I wonder if we should find employment and get a TWP and apply for PR after one year from within Canada.
If you've not found employment yet, then a TWP is likely to take longer than a PR app. By the time you've found a job from an employer prepared to sponsor you, then got the LMIA (usually takes around 3-4 months), then a PR app may be quicker or take the same amount of time. Tbh, with a family if PR is an option then I'd go for that rather than a TWP.

Hi,
I am 51, my wife 48 and we have four kids 17,15,7 and 5
I am a tennis coach with 30 years experience and a high performance coach qualification, my wife is a retired ballet dancer and my oldest child about to finish school this year ready to enrol into university.
Have you checked to see if you're eligible for PR? Do check to make sure you'd be scoring enough on the CRS to be eligible to apply under EE, as your ages will unfortunately impact your points.

Hi,
Should I seek consultation for a migration agent/lawyer for TWP or is this a straight forward application I could do from home?
There really would be no need for a consultant for a TWP, most normally just get theirs at the airport when they arrive in Canada, you don't even need to apply for it beforehand if you're a UK citizen.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 2:30 am
Just Joined

HI christmasoompa,
Many thanks for your response. I think what I am going to do is to collect my paperwork and apply for PR.
I think that my wife and I are are sufficiently qualified and experienced in our jobs and the language test shouldn’t be an obstacle either to achieve a decent score.
What is the minimum score?
What is your experience with the red tape? Can one handle the necessary paperwork oneself or is it necessary to have a migration agent?
I need to budget well and if I can get the desired outcome myself I won’t hire an agent.
What do you think?
Many thanks again.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

HI christmasoompa,
Many thanks for your response. I think what I am going to do is to collect my paperwork and apply for PR.
I think that my wife and I are are sufficiently qualified and experienced in our jobs and the language test shouldn’t be an obstacle either to achieve a decent score.
What is your experience with the red tape? Can one handle the necessary paperwork oneself or is it necessary to have a migration agent?
I need to budget well and if I can get the desired outcome myself I won’t hire an agent.
What do you think?
Many thanks again.
There is no minimum score per se but the higher the score the better. The last round was 456 for the lowest score.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...vitations.html

Previous rounds can be found in this link
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-previous.html
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned though, your age will have a huge impact unfortunately. There is a potential of up to 110 points for age, and unfortunately once you're over 45 you won't score anything at all, so that's a big hit. Also be aware that only academic qualifications count for points purposes, any vocational or professional ones don't.

I'm assuming that you've looked in to it enough to make sure you definitely qualify as a Federal Skilled Worker i.e. you're scoring at least 67 in that test? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

If so, and if you therefore qualify to enter the Express Entry pool of applicants, then to get selected from that pool you'll need approx 450 or more to be in with a good chances of being selected and invited to apply for PR. 430-440 may do it, but you could be waiting a while at that level, and less than that and you are very unlikely to get invited at all IMO. Check your scores here - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Absolutely no need to use a consultant unless you have complicated circumstances i.e. a criminal record or medical issues.

HTH.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Farmhand is an unknown quantity at this point

As a tennis coach are you self employed? The Federal Self Employed PR processing time has drastically reduced recently to 26 months so may be worth looking at and you avoid having to worry about points!
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much farmhand. I believe this is our best chance. Do you know more details about the ins and outs!
Many thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

I am sure some on here know more and I stand to be corrected but as a self employed person you would be exempt (obviously) from a LMIA when applying for a work permit. I have a feeling you may have to put in the PR application and then apply for the work permit and enter Canada with dual intent. According to the CIC web site work permits can take as little as 6 weeks for UK nationals.

check out : Immigration category for athletes, coaches, and artists | Coastal Immigration Ltd.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

This is great news. I will get stuck into my paperwork.
Thank you so much
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Farmhand
The Federal Self Employed PR processing time has drastically reduced recently to 26 months so may be worth looking at and you avoid having to worry about points!
There is still a point score to be met for Self Employed apps - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...n-factors.html

I am sure some on here know more and I stand to be corrected but as a self employed person you would be exempt (obviously) from a LMIA when applying for a work permit. I have a feeling you may have to put in the PR application and then apply for the work permit and enter Canada with dual intent. According to the CIC web site work permits can take as little as 6 weeks for UK nationals.
A Self Employed application only results in PR, no work permit in the interim. So doesn't sound to me as though it would work for the OP if the processing times for EE were off putting to them! Would take another 2 years or so, so if they're eligible for EE and want to get to Canada sooner rather than later that's the route I'd go down personally.

If EE isn't an option (OP hasn't said what his score is yet), then it's a back up, but I wouldn't consider it given their timescales unless it's their only option.

Edit: here is the CIC link to info about the self-employed program, better to use that rather than a third party immigration consultant's website - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-employed.html

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 23rd 2018 at 1:22 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Christmas, I know it's possible to apply for a self-employed TWP as the details are on the CIC website about the LMIA not being applicable, just wondering then under what circumstances are such TWP issued?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi Christmas, I know it's possible to apply for a self-employed TWP as the details are on the CIC website about the LMIA not being applicable, just wondering then under what circumstances are such TWP issued?
Have a look at posts by RICH, he's done it, not sure anybody else on here has as it's a reasonably rare visa route. It's essentially a 'self sponsoring' TWP (no automatic route to PR). To get one you need a business plan, hiring Canadians, getting premises and setting up a business etc.

It's not suitable for one man bands or those without lots of cash to invest, but does lead to a TWP without a LMIA/sponsoring employer. Another route for anybody interested in setting up their own business is the Start Up Visa, which may be an option for the OP. But before they explore other more complicated/expensive/longer routes like all of the above, I'd suggest they look at EE first, particularly if they want to have something lined up before their Oz visa expires as none of the other routes will be as quick or straightforward.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 23rd 2018 at 4:36 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2018, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much Farmhand and christmasoompa,
I guess we would like to move sooner rather than later.
As a self employed applicant I could get a work permit and PR at a later stage if I understand correctly? Our score for EE is rather low because of our age. (275pts).
I haven’t gone through all possibilities but think applying as a self employed is our only option. Please advice.
Kind regards
Old Mar 25th 2018, 3:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I guess we would like to move sooner rather than later.
As a self employed applicant I could get a work permit and PR at a later stage if I understand correctly? Our score for EE is rather low because of our age. (275pts).
I haven’t gone through all possibilities but think applying as a self employed is our only option. Please advice.
Kind regards
OK, so as EE isn't an option, your only way to move relatively quickly, would probably be to get a job offer and sponsoring employer.

I would also strongly suggest you check to see if you would be eligible for PR once there, as you may decide it's not worth moving if you can't stay permanently, and being on a Temp Work Permit isn't ideal with a family.

As a self employed applicant I could get a work permit and PR at a later stage if I understand correctly?
No, as I've said above, a Self Employed program application only results in PR, no work permit in the interim. So if you started gathering paperwork now and applied in a couple of months time, you would get PR and move to Canada at the end of 2020/beginning of 2021 going on current processing times just to give you an idea. For a 'normal' work permit, you'd need a job offer and LMIA.

But there may be other options re: being self employed or setting up a business, which province are you hoping to move to, how much would you invest in a business and roughly how many Canadians would you look to hire?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 25th 2018 at 5:28 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:02 am
Just Joined

We are thinking about settling in Victoria BC and yes I could set up a business and hire 2 or 3 Canadians as Assistant coaches, receptionist and/or Pro Shop Staff.
The initial investment would be around $50,000
I don't think that might be enough?!