Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Should my partner and I get return tickets? Different situatons

Should my partner and I get return tickets? Different situatons

Old Jan 3rd 2017, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

jirish82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should my partner and I get return tickets? Different situatons

Hi guys,

My partner and I are both entering Canada in a couple of months, I have an IEC WH visa, but when we enter initially we'll both be going in on the tourist visa. Which I understand is allowed to give me time to get set up.

He's not working at the moment, coming with me to help, and I understand if I find work in my field he might qualify for a common-law work visa, otherwise he'll head home before his tourist visa runs out. Both have $10k+ savings in our separate accounts.

I assume given that I have an IEC they won't care so much about me having a return ticket, but I've seen countries that consider no return ticket on a tourist visa a red flag. Would it be a good idea for him or both of us to get the return ticket just to be on the safe side? Don't think it's much more and we can always move the date later

Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2017, 2:01 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should my partner and I get return tickets? Different situatons

The issue isn't with customs, the issue is with the airline. A lot of airlines won't allow you boarding on a one-way ticket without guaranteed right of entry at the destination country. So my suggestion would be to get a ticket that you can change or refund.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
The issue isn't with customs, the issue is with the airline. A lot of airlines won't allow you boarding on a one-way ticket without guaranteed right of entry at the destination country. So my suggestion would be to get a ticket that you can change or refund.
That's interesting, obviously I'll be taking my IEC documents with me, so could technically just enter with them instead of a tourist visa. But I suppose even they don't "guarantee" my right to enter. So you reckon I should get a return also?
Old Jan 4th 2017, 3:07 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jirish82
That's interesting, obviously I'll be taking my IEC documents with me, so could technically just enter with them instead of a tourist visa. But I suppose even they don't "guarantee" my right to enter. So you reckon I should get a return also?
Yep. Unless you are travelling with a current validated issued work permit (which the IEC letter is not until you get to Canada and activate it) or a PR card, you should have a return ticket. Just get the flexible or refundable fare.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Yep. Unless you are travelling with a current validated issued work permit (which the IEC letter is not until you get to Canada and activate it) or a PR card, you should have a return ticket. Just get the flexible or refundable fare.
Also have you compared the price of one way tickets against return fares - return fares are often cheaper!!
Old Jan 4th 2017, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Also have you compared the price of one way tickets against return fares - return fares are often cheaper!!
Yeah good point!

So the plan is now looking like we'll both get returns for about 5 months and 2 weeks after arrival, so we have a couple of weeks extra before the 6 month limit in case there's a problem, that make the most sense?

Thanks for your help guys
Old Jan 4th 2017, 3:26 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by jirish82
Yeah good point!

So the plan is now looking like we'll both get returns for about 5 months and 2 weeks after arrival, so we have a couple of weeks extra before the 6 month limit in case there's a problem, that make the most sense?

Thanks for your help guys
Yep, totally sensible.

If you end up taking the return trip out of Canada, you can then fly BACK into Canada on a one-way, since you'll have your IEC which you can show the airline that you have a valid work permit so entry isn't an issue.

Most airlines charge a premium on one-way fares for exactly this reason, since if a passenger is denied entry at the destination country it's the airline that's on the hook for repatriating the passenger.

The exception is Air Transat, who actually charge for flights on a per-leg basis, so a one-way is half the price of a return flight. Charter no-frills airline, but a decent way to get the one-way flight done and dusted.