Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Should I switch from outland to inland?

Should I switch from outland to inland?

Old Jan 4th 2015, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

AdamR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I switch from outland to inland?

Hey everyone,

I hope you all had a great Christmas and a happy new year!

My question is around the new "Issuance of open work permits to applicants for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class" and the consequence this has on my own application.

I am in the process of applying for permanent residency by being sponsored by my partner and am doing this from England. I have already had my medical exam and we will have all the letters from family and friends in support of our application within the next couple of weeks. With the new ruling mentioned above would I be better to forego my outland application and first move to Canada with my partner and then start an inland application? I'm aware this is purely subjective so don't worry, I'm not taking any suggestions as binding

Hope all that makes sense.

Thanks,
Adam
Old Jan 4th 2015, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

cberry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I switch from outland to inland?

Interesting question and I'm keen to see some answers. I'm dealing with a very similar situation - nearly completed application and was planning outland. After thinking this through I think I'm personally going to stick with outland because I heard (a) for inland you can't leave Canada during the application waiting period and (b) inland application waiting times, currently ~2 years, may extend even further if this rule change increases the number of inland applications. For work and personal reasons I couldn't avoid leaving Canada for 2 years+, so that was the dealbreaker for me.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 3:01 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

cberry is correct. While it's not a hard-and-fast rule that you can't leave Canada while your inland application is in process, it is highly inadvisable that you leave Canada. The reason is that in order for your application to remain valid, you have to maintain residency in Canada. If you leave the country and then are refused entry on the way back in for whatever reason, your inland application is then considered abandoned, since you are no longer resident in Canada. So you can take the risk, but it's a risk. Generally the line is "just don't leave the country".

Inland applications, while you do get a work permit after 4ish months, take about 2 or so years to grant full PR. Have a look at the posted processing times here - Processing Times: Family Sponsorship For inland, it's a total of 24 months right now, and honestly it's gone UP about 8 months or so over the course of 2014. With the new work permit program, this is probably going to get even longer. As has also been pointed out, you can only apply inland if you are already in Canada.

If you are applying outland, while you don't get the work permit immediately, processing times for applications via London are averaging about 7 months, and about half that if your application is processed in Mississauga or Ottawa instead of London. So while you don't get a work permit after 4 months, you will have full PR in about 7 months, about 1/3 of the time of inland applications. You can wait in Canada as a visitor without any problems (see the section of the spousal sponsorship wiki article) and you can come and go with no issues while you are waiting.

So really it's up to you which option works better... there are pros and cons to both. Up to you to decide which pros and cons are most important to you and your individual circumstances.

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 5th 2015, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

AdamR is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi SchnookoLoly,

Thank you so much for you help. I think as I've already paid for my medical upfront I'd rather continue this application.

Can I please just confirm one thing - if I submit my application whilst in England and the time comes for my partner to have to return to Canada can I go with her and await the decision there whilst remaining as a visitor? If I'm denied I'm then assuming I could begin an outland application? My biggest concern is that my girlfriend has to return to Canada on the 17th July and we want to have the best possible chance of not having to be apart.

Thanks again,
Adam
Old Jan 5th 2015, 4:56 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamR
Hi SchnookoLoly,

Thank you so much for you help. I think as I've already paid for my medical upfront I'd rather continue this application.

Can I please just confirm one thing - if I submit my application whilst in England and the time comes for my partner to have to return to Canada can I go with her and await the decision there whilst remaining as a visitor? If I'm denied I'm then assuming I could begin an outland application? My biggest concern is that my girlfriend has to return to Canada on the 17th July and we want to have the best possible chance of not having to be apart.

Thanks again,
Adam
1) Read this - Spousal Sponsorship-Canada : British Expat Wiki

2) You might as well continue with the application now anyway. If you apply now (or in the next few weeks) you should have your PR through by probably September ish. That means only 2-3 months of being in Canada as a visitor and not working. If you wait until you are IN Canada to apply inland, the work permit takes 4 months or so to come through anyway, so if you applied at the beginning of August, you'd not have your work permit through until December ish... so in terms of being able to work as quickly as possible, outland gives you the better odds of that happening. (Don't forget, though, 7 months is *average*... YMMV!!)