Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Should I or should I not inform immigration at entry?

Should I or should I not inform immigration at entry?

Old Sep 24th 2015, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Shenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Should I or should I not inform immigration at entry?

Hey everyone

I found out this week some news related to my work which has thrown spanner in the works of my move to Toronto.
I am working on a project which I was hoping to complete by end of November before moving to a second phase of the project in the New Year. Between completing phase 1 of the project in November and starting phase 2 of the project in Jan 2016, I was hoping to move to Toronto in December 2015 and activate my IEC from 2014 (which will expire on 15 Dec 2015). I learned that my employer has added new scopes to the original project which has extended the time for competition of phase 1, this new addition means I have to be in UK until at least early Feb.

I have plenty of holiday left this year so have taken most of December off. My plan is to activate IEC 2014 around the 10 December, start the SIN and bank account stuff out of the way (if possible) before X-mas, spend X-mas and New Year in Toronto and return on 2nd week of Jan 2016 to UK to complete the remainder of my work. After completing the work I aim to return back to Canada in early March 2016 to establish residence.

I am sweating bricks at the minute as I have to reorganise a lot of things, I thought I had plenty of time which I don’t now.

So my questions are, when activating the IEC:
1. Should I inform the immigration officer my plans? Should i inform voluntarily or wait until prompted at PoE? Will this impact on the IEC being activated or not?
2. Can I leave the country (Canada) and return without impact on insurance I buy (I think I read somewhere some insurance providers invalidate your insurance if you return to your home country for certain period of time)?
3. On re-entry into Canada in March 2016, do I have to provide insurance, bank statement…etc again at PoE?

I thought I read a thread about activating visa but not establishing residence for short while by Former Lancastrian, I cannot for the life of me find the information now. I'll keep on looking but any info as always much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Sep 24th 2015, 6:16 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I or should I not inform immigration at entry?

You can activate the IEC work permit but will need to show insurance, proof of funds etc. initially; I believe you can leave Canada and re-enter with your work permit without needing to show confirmation of insurance/funds on your return (you will already have established that you have it) but it would probably be a good idea to have them to show, just in case you are asked.

There are a couple of insurance companies that allow returns to the UK without invalidating the insurance and I'm sure a quick search will bring them up.

There's no need to tell the CBSA officer of your plans unless directly asked.

The 'not establishing residence' that FL mentioned is mainly for those activating their Permanent Residency but not moving over permanently, by the way.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 24th 2015 at 6:20 am.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

There are a couple of insurance companies that allow returns to the UK without invalidating the insurance and I'm sure a quick search will bring them up.
Most insurance companies will only allow short trips (e.g. 7 or 14 days) back to the UK. Returning for three months will almost certainly invalidate the policy.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 10:26 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
Most insurance companies will only allow short trips (e.g. 7 or 14 days) back to the UK. Returning for three months will almost certainly invalidate the policy.
If that is the case and the OP can't find a company that would allow an extended return to the UK, I'd personally buy the cheapest possible insurance that covered for medical and repatriation (it would need to be a 12 month policy to get a full year on the IEC Work Permit) then cancel it when you return to the UK (if possible) - though it's doubtful you would get any kind of refund. I'd then buy another one that had all the bells and whistles, allowed for working, winter sport, extendable etc., for the return to Canada in March.

Decisions, decisions!

Old Sep 24th 2015, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure of the cost, but True Traveller allows trips back home for up to 70 days on some of the policies.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 3:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shenkor
...1. Should I inform the immigration officer my plans? Should i inform voluntarily or wait until prompted at PoE? Will this impact on the IEC being activated or not?
The general rule on dealing with anyone who has a judicial function is to answer any question asked frankly and honestly but do not answer any question that is not asked or volunteer any information that is not relevant to the question that was asked.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Shenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond reputeShenkor has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all very much. You all have been fantastic help and wealth of advice. Thank you!!

I have one last question if i may?
Yesterday evening i received my PoE for 2015 IEC and it must be activated by 24/09/2016.

I will be going to Canada on IEC 2014 which i will activate in December 2015 and i hope to activate the second IEC of 2015 by September 2016.

My plan is to use up as much time as possible from 2014 IEC before activating IEC 2015 in 2016. Since 2015 IEC must be activated by 24/9/2016, i was hoping to buy insurance from December 2015 - September 2016 (for IEC 2014) and 24 September 2016 - 23/September 2018 for IEC 2015. I will loose 3 months from IEC 2014 but it could have been worse.

How much overlap is allowed between 1st IEC and activating the 2nd IEC? I am a UK national.