Should i go for Bunac

Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:43 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice
Default Should i go for Bunac

Hi,
Having a bit of a dilemna.

Boyfried has now decided he loves me too much and doesnt want me to go to Canada so now we're hoping to get him a Bunac non-student visa. (he's not got a job in demand so we figure thats pretty much the best bet then hopefully get a permanent job offer when we're there.

I am hoping to go down the temp work permit route. Waiting to sit an exam then hopefully get a job offer, lmo etc obviously while still in UK.
I was thinking though maybe i should apply for a bunac visa too, even though my occupation is under pressure i was thinking employers might be a bit more keen to take me on if i can officially work already. Then ill be able to apply for lmo, wp, pr from Canada?

Can bunac visa's be extended? I am wondering if this possible as me and mark dont live together here but would do in canada so i could sponser him at the end of that year. He could always come back to scotland i suppose while we apply.

Sorry for the long post, im excited Mark wants to come now but also slightly nervous in case h doesn't like it as much as me. Also never occurred to me until two days ago bunac would be an option.

Karen
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:00 pm
Calgary Sept 2008

Silverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really nice
Default Re: Should i go for Bunac

I'm sure someone will come along shortly and put me right if I'm wrong - but I'm pretty sure that Bunac Visa's cannot be extended. I am hoping to go on a BUNAC visa next year, but as for your other questions, I'm unsure and would rather not speculate!! Good Luck anyway
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littletwinkle46
Hi,
Having a bit of a dilemna.

Boyfried has now decided he loves me too much and doesnt want me to go to Canada so now we're hoping to get him a Bunac non-student visa. (he's not got a job in demand so we figure thats pretty much the best bet then hopefully get a permanent job offer when we're there.

I am hoping to go down the temp work permit route. Waiting to sit an exam then hopefully get a job offer, lmo etc obviously while still in UK.
I was thinking though maybe i should apply for a bunac visa too, even though my occupation is under pressure i was thinking employers might be a bit more keen to take me on if i can officially work already. Then ill be able to apply for lmo, wp, pr from Canada?

Can bunac visa's be extended? I am wondering if this possible as me and mark dont live together here but would do in canada so i could sponser him at the end of that year. He could always come back to scotland i suppose while we apply.

Sorry for the long post, im excited Mark wants to come now but also slightly nervous in case h doesn't like it as much as me. Also never occurred to me until two days ago bunac would be an option.

Karen
Bunac sounds good to me! I didnt realise that you werent going for the PR route before and from my experience hospitals and clinics dont want to bother applying for LMOs etc to emplpy someone. They are probably more up for this in Toronto though, one would hope so.

Once you have a job you could then apply for PR as you say. - Do you have enough work experience for that? If Bunac cant be extended then at least you will have had a go at leving here, and an employer may be more willing to do extra paperwork if you are already an employee?

But what do I know??? just guessing!
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:10 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice

that was my thoughts too batty.

Yeah i have more than enough points for PR, inc experience ones. How long does PR take from within canada? Would i need to apply for wp to give more time. Sorry i cant remember your timeline.

Once i was working for somewhere i would be hoping to impress them to keep me, i could take them through the process by the hand!

I haven t approached hospitals yet was waiting for exam before that, do you think i should start now?
Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

that was my thoughts too batty.

Yeah i have more than enough points for PR, inc experience ones. How long does PR take from within canada? Would i need to apply for wp to give more time. Sorry i cant remember your timeline.
we applied from England so cant help there

Once i was working for somewhere i would be hoping to impress them to keep me, i could take them through the process by the hand!

From what i have seen this would work!

I haven t approached hospitals yet was waiting for exam before that, do you think i should start now?
Why not, get them familiar with you and your name. They appoint the newly qualifieds before they take/get their exam results. They even have them working on training before they are registered.

Remember plenty of places dont advertise as they have given up of ever getting staff so just send a resume and cover letter in anyway. If you would like me to proof read them for you I am happy too. Also look at the websites for each hospital. Also, Ontario hospitals do not have outpatient departments as we know them. The Docs are self employed and so have their own offices away from the hospitals. (The set up is like private practice except the patients show their healthcard for the free bit of their treatment. The doctors then bill OHIP for their fees) Quite often these are in huge medical centres, and these buildings have x-ray depts. The advantage of working there is that there is no out of hours work, the disadvantage is that the pay is less than in a hospital. Where do you want to work? Toronto or the sticks?
Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:38 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

Hi

Thanks for the offer of proof reading, i have a cover letter that i have sent to a couple of places round about guelph, but i shall need to revise it to include my bunac option. My aunt works in ct in Cambridge hospital so that may come in handy.
My real goal is a Toronto hospital though, i quite like busy trauma, theatre etc (still young and over enthuastic when exciting fractures occur I shall redo my cover letter and send you a copy if thats ok, most appreciated.

Im at work now, so on my way i was thinking i really was making it difficult for myself not thinking of bunac, silly me. Even if i have to come home after the year i will have canadian experience and registration so fingers crossed!
Old Nov 10th 2007, 4:24 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi

Thanks for the offer of proof reading, i have a cover letter that i have sent to a couple of places round about guelph, but i shall need to revise it to include my bunac option. My aunt works in ct in Cambridge hospital so that may come in handy.
My real goal is a Toronto hospital though, i quite like busy trauma, theatre etc (still young and over enthuastic when exciting fractures occur I shall redo my cover letter and send you a copy if thats ok, most appreciated.

Im at work now, so on my way i was thinking i really was making it difficult for myself not thinking of bunac, silly me. Even if i have to come home after the year i will have canadian experience and registration so fingers crossed!
1. As you were told the BUNAC is not extendable and the employer would have to obtain an LMO to continue your employer.
2. Non Student BUNACS will probably be for 18-30 years next year.
3. A BUNAC work permit will not allow you to work in a hospital unless you have an Immigration Medical exam.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:05 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. As you were told the BUNAC is not extendable and the employer would have to obtain an LMO to continue your employer. That was my original plan anyway so im aware of that side.
2. Non Student BUNACS will probably be for 18-30 years next year. No problem only 24
3. A BUNAC work permit will not allow you to work in a hospital unless you have an Immigration Medical exam.
I have asked them the procedure for obtaining my medical, as again im well aware from the wp route.

thanks for the advice

Karen
Old Nov 10th 2007, 5:28 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

can't really help with bunac - and you being in health care might make it trickier...

what jumped at me was "pr from within canada"... please be aware, that only a very small amount of people under very special circumstances is allowed to apply for inland-processing.
the normal route to go is an application to an out-of-canada visa post - which doesn't mean that you need to leave canada as long as your temporary visa - wp or sp - is still valid. afaik physical presence in canada alone doesn't speed up your application - you need a permanent job offer or aeo or pnp nomination for that.
if you are permitted to stay in canada for at least one year you can send your application to buffalo, otherwise it's london.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 7:20 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

again sorry for any confusion, thats what i meant. Hopefully an employer will like me enough to offer me a permanent job offer and then then i start the process while still on a temp wp permit that i will also apply for before bunac runs out.

As i said before i previously was all set to try get a job offer from here and apply for t.w.p but am now merely exploring the route of bunac.

Due to the difficulty i believe of hospitals being willing to go through the lmo process i am just trying to make it easier for employers to want to employ me.

Karen
Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

AdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant future

My sister works at St Joes in Toronto, she went over there with a company that arranged it all for her, she recently applied for PR status (she has been there for years now, about 6/7 I think), it only took a matter of months for her to get medical/then passport request (applying via London), and she is getting back quite a lot of the fees for this now from the hospital as they see her as an asset.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 10:08 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

thanks thats encouraging!

Does she work as a nurse? Do you know by any chance who the company were? Would be interesting to look into that

Karen
Old Nov 10th 2007, 11:23 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know by any chance who the company were?
Originally Posted by AdamF
My sister works at St Joes in Toronto
My best guess is St. Joseph's Health Centre.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

AdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant futureAdamF has a brilliant future

That is where she works yeah, but it was a company that helped her with the exams etc years ago, and got her the job, a bunch of them did it from here, I don't think many are actually there anymore, most came back eventually. She is a nurse, and I will ask her later what the company was called, I have before, but cannot remember it at the moment!
Old Nov 12th 2007, 4:38 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

ok thanks that would be great.

Karen