Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Should I bother hiring a lawyer to facilitate a PR application?

Should I bother hiring a lawyer to facilitate a PR application?

Old Jan 23rd 2001, 4:11 pm
Ki-Soo Lee

Hi, I am a US citizen currently in Toronto on a Employee Authorization visa. I have
decided to apply for Permanent Residency. My employer was able to push through my EA visa
very fast (less than 3 weeks) with the help of an immigration lawyer. I was thinking of
hiring a lawyer myself for the PR visa application (since it was so effective and quick
for the EA visa) but was wondering if I really need one. I scored a 94/100 on the
Self-Assessment Worksheet and my job with my employer seems pretty secure (knock on wood)
so I don't really see anything that would require legal assistance to help my cause other
than possibly speeding things up. I still have 10+ more months on my EA visa which gives
me lots of time so should I just do the whole application myself?

Thanx

btw: I do realize that the (very helpful and knowledgeable ) immigrations lawyers that
post to this group might be a tad biased here

Old Jan 24th 2001, 3:54 pm
Andrew Miller

There are various reasons for hiring an immigration expert. Some cases are weak and need a
strong presentation, some are complex and need someone who knows how to make them clear
for processing officer and other involve issues of admissibility which must be resolved.
In all of those and many others assistance of experienced professional can make a
difference between approval and rejection or between smooth processing and long,
unnecessary delays.

But also in cases which are strong and straightforward person may wish to hire expert for
others, also important reasons - peace of mind and/or leaving the time consuming
preparation to someone who will do it professionally if person has no time or just wants
everything done by someone. About 75% of our clients are in this group - they don't really
need assistance from the case perspective, they just want peace of mind and/or have
everything done professionally. They can afford it and there is nothing wrong with it.

I don't think that anyone can give you an objective answer to your question. You have to
decide what are you looking for, what you want and what reasons you have for it.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

> Hi, I am a US citizen currently in Toronto on a Employee Authorization visa. I have
> decided to apply for Permanent Residency. My employer was able to push through my EA
> visa very fast (less than 3 weeks) with the help of an immigration lawyer. I was
> thinking of hiring a lawyer myself for the PR visa application (since it was so
> effective and quick for the EA visa) but was wondering if I really need one. I scored a
> 94/100 on the Self-Assessment Worksheet and my job with my employer seems pretty secure
> (knock on wood) so I don't really see anything that would require legal assistance to
> help my cause other than possibly speeding things up. I still have 10+ more months on my
> EA visa which gives me lots of time so should I just do the whole application myself?
>
> Thanx
>
> btw: I do realize that the (very helpful and knowledgeable ) immigrations lawyers
> that post to this group might be a tad biased here

Old Jan 25th 2001, 1:43 pm
Mmoose1234

I had hired a highly reputed canadian lawyer (none from this NG) for my PR application --
just for "peace of mind" and not to have to deal with the hassles. It was a pretty
disappointing experience. I dealt not with the lawyer but with a paralegal who was most
unhelpful if not outright hostile. They just sent me an application package with all the
draft forms which I was supposed to fill out and a list of supporting documents which I
was supposed to gather. When I called up the paralegal to ask for clarification on
fingerprinting procedure, I was asked to read the background clearance forms I'd been
sent. When I asked for time frame regarding the process, I got prettty lawyerish answer
"depends...". I felt that they were adding zero value, and just having to deal with them
could cause me a lot of headache. So I fired the lawyer.

I couldn't have made a better decision. The application I downloaded had detailed
instructions on how to fill out the forms; the ones my lawyer had sent me had none.
I could puttogether a package pretty quickly -- a lot of thanks to Andrew and David
who answered numerous last minute questions -- and send it out faster than the
lawyer had promised.

If you find a COMPETENT lawyer, he can probably save you work worth 12 hours in
preparing your application. If you end up with an incompetent lawyer, you could end up
spending $3500+, a lot of extra time, and a lot of headache on your application. The
canadian immigration process is extremely user friendly so you should have no problems
in doing it yourself.

Old Jan 28th 2001, 8:55 am
Ki-Soo Lee

HI Andrew, Thanks for the response. Around how much do you estimate a ballpark fee would
be for my case?

Thanks in advance, k

Andrew Miller wrote in message ...
>There are various reasons for hiring an immigration expert. Some cases are
weak
>and need a strong presentation, some are complex and need someone who knows
how
>to make them clear for processing officer and other involve issues of admissibility which
>must be resolved. In all of those and many others assistance of experienced professional
>can make a difference between
approval
>and rejection or between smooth processing and long, unnecessary delays.
>
>But also in cases which are strong and straightforward person may wish to
hire
>expert for others, also important reasons - peace of mind and/or leaving
the
>time consuming preparation to someone who will do it professionally if
person
>has no time or just wants everything done by someone. About 75% of our
clients
>are in this group - they don't really need assistance from the case perspective, they
>just want peace of mind and/or have everything done professionally. They can afford it
>and there is nothing wrong with it.
>
>I don't think that anyone can give you an objective answer to your
question.
>You have to decide what are you looking for, what you want and what reasons
you
>have for it.
>
>--
>
>../..
>
>Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
>[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before sending
>an email)
>________________________________
>
>
>

>> Hi, I am a US citizen currently in Toronto on a Employee Authorization visa.
I
>> have decided to apply for Permanent Residency. My employer was able to
push
>> through my EA visa very fast (less than 3 weeks) with the help of an immigration
>> lawyer. I was thinking of hiring a lawyer myself for the PR
visa
>> application (since it was so effective and quick for the EA visa) but was wondering if
>> I really need one. I scored a 94/100 on the Self-Assessment Worksheet and my job with
>> my employer seems pretty secure (knock on wood)
so
>> I don't really see anything that would require legal assistance to help
my
>> cause other than possibly speeding things up. I still have 10+ more
months
>> on my EA visa which gives me lots of time so should I just do the whole application
>> myself?
>>
>> Thanx
>>
>> btw: I do realize that the (very helpful and knowledgeable )
immigrations
>> lawyers that post to this group might be a tad biased here
>>
>>

Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I bother hiring a lawyer to facilitate a PR application?

Originally Posted by Ki-Soo Lee
Hi, I am a US citizen currently in Toronto on a Employee Authorization visa. I have
decided to apply for Permanent Residency. My employer was able to push through my EA visa
very fast (less than 3 weeks) with the help of an immigration lawyer. I was thinking of
hiring a lawyer myself for the PR visa application (since it was so effective and quick
for the EA visa) but was wondering if I really need one. I scored a 94/100 on the
Self-Assessment Worksheet and my job with my employer seems pretty secure (knock on wood)
so I don't really see anything that would require legal assistance to help my cause other
than possibly speeding things up. I still have 10+ more months on my EA visa which gives
me lots of time so should I just do the whole application myself?

Thanx

btw: I do realize that the (very helpful and knowledgeable ) immigrations lawyers that
post to this group might be a tad biased here
Don't do it, they're after your money and it won't get you there any faster. Simple...
Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:54 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be a wise to check the dates on posts you are commenting "so wisely" on before doing so......

Originally Posted by steve666
Don't do it, they're after your money and it won't get you there any faster. Simple...
Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
It would be a wise to check the dates on posts you are commenting "so wisely" on before doing so......
hehehee..sorry couldn't help but giggle at this...where heck was this found..in the Vault...????..wonder if the guy made it..???/
Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:21 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
hehehee..sorry couldn't help but giggle at this...where heck was this found..in the Vault...????..wonder if the guy made it..???/
HAHA have to join into your laughter, especially as I myself have also fallen prey to revived stoneage posts as well.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 2:08 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhhp
HAHA have to join into your laughter, especially as I myself have also fallen prey to revived stoneage posts as well.
hahahahaha!!!! really guys.. i was initially wonderstuck as to wat the heck this is??
hope this guys got his answer!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:19 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe apparently there's some bloke called Noah who says we should be expecting rain!!!