Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

SHITTY ROADS!!!! WHY IN Canada????

SHITTY ROADS!!!! WHY IN Canada????

Old May 4th 2005, 5:54 am
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of
Wink Re: SHITTY ROADS!!!! WHY IN Canada????

Originally Posted by amancharan
U know wat guys? I might be wrong or something, but the roads in Canada are really bumpy and shitty!
It has been a real concern for me; primarlity when u compare it to the UK....
any comments??

Oh come now Amancharan!...all that waiting, since 2004, two days in and all you can say is the roads are shitty!!!! it could be worse....you could still be driving over here...waiting for that PR !!!,
Old May 4th 2005, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

mman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SHITTY ROADS!!!! WHY IN Canada????

BC where I-5 becomes the mighty dual carriageway Hwy99.
Old May 4th 2005, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

tsananez is an unknown quantity at this point

I will say this, shitty roads and inclement weather...

But CANADA I still love you for many other things that I won't begin to enumerate because I should go back to work...Ok I will say at least one...much better political/economic situation than back in my country...
Old May 4th 2005, 8:46 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

U know wat guys? I might be wrong or something, but the roads in Canada are really bumpy and shitty!
any comments??
Er, come back to the UK and join the queues on the M25??

What you need is a nice big American - type set of wheels, with really soft suspension.....just made for 'lumpy' roads!!

How are things treating you otherwise?
Old May 4th 2005, 10:02 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happydayz
Oh come now Amancharan!...all that waiting, since 2004, two days in and all you can say is the roads are shitty!!!! it could be worse....you could still be driving over here...waiting for that PR !!!,
Here Here Happydayz, WELL SAID !!!!!!!

Amancharan get a grip with yourself, you have only arrived and you are slagging the place off, wheres your sense of achievement in actually getting to a place after such a long wait.

You surely cannot be so critical of the roads after 2 days.
You want to get yourself over to Glasgow and see some of the shitty roads here.
I had suspension bushes replaced in my car after it had covered about 30k miles, now that was due to the shitty roads.
Last year I replaced one of the cars rear wheel hubs, and anti-roll bar bushes, again due to shitty, potholed roads.
Ohh and my car is not a cheapo car.
How often or how soon have Canadian drivers replaced suspension bushes in a relatively new car.

So my friend give the roads a break.

Eddie
Old May 4th 2005, 11:24 am
Finally it happened

pattu has a spectacular aura aboutpattu has a spectacular aura aboutpattu has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iaink
Same with 4 ways, its basically a roundabout anyway, hardly anyone stops completely. The only confusion is if everyone arrives at the same time, and at that point the biggest vehicle goes first
While biking today, I stopped at the 4-way stop earlier than a car. Assuming I had the right of way, I started to move. But I was wrong, as my bike was not the biggest. Luckily, I survived :scared: .
Old May 4th 2005, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

blacky is an unknown quantity at this point

hello
we live on a rural dirtroad in the middle of nova scotia.

Every year the cycle of freezing and thawing attacks the base and top of the road. The clay in the roadbed swells up, creating ice lenses which become deep sinkholes when spring finally arrives .

Also every winter the culverts plug up and with spring runoff wash out making our lines of supply vitually impassable.
(Plus beavers-maybe you peoples should fancy beaverhats again;that would help)
In a way the feeling off being cutoff for awhile is not bad ; but eventually someone got to get out to create income and go face these obstacles.

What boggles my mind is that the conditions of our backroad seem to be the blue print for other more important type of roads(paved).
Same problem,same disaster if you hit a washout or pondsize pothole.
But things get fixed before the tourists arrive in late june.

The professionals like our road department heads and designers of everything from highways to dirtroads and all there staff just stand by, resigned in dim knowledge and lack of understanding.

There are certain design ,construction and maintenance principals on what can be done to prevent undue damage and improve hardiness of roads.
It is to bad that ignorance rules instead.

Even untrained observer can see plainly the inability to design more lasting infrastructure. They must have missed imporant lessons in whatever training received.
In other words "professionals" are not much good around here; every year the same cycle ;no sign of a learning curve etc.

Problem remains: drivers keep paying to fix their vehicles and the budgets for these government services and have no recourse.

Enough said. greetings blacky

PS: dont trust a canadian "professional"
Old May 4th 2005, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Menino is an unknown quantity at this point

Being from the States, I have to say that we have a pretty extensive interstate system. Not only is it extensive, but it is also, in most cases, toll-free. (I guess since this is a car dependent country you need to have good roads!) The condition of the roads is generally very good to excellent (I'm talking about the major roads). I've also driven through Europe many times. The Italian road network is good - but darn expensive! The Germans also have a good system, in my opinion and it's toll-free. Other countries like Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic do the vignette thing, which I think is a better option than stopping at toll booths.
I also have driven through Canada quite a few times. I must say, however, that one of the biggest "deceptions" was the TRANS-CANADA HIGHWAY OR THE AUTOROUTE TRANSCANADIENNE. I was expecting a majestic freeway linking Canada from the Atlantic to the Pacific. When I got there I was lucky to find a two lane road that resembles a state or county road in the States. So for someone who likes long road trips as I do...it makes for even longer ones! Oh well, no place is perfect. I have also driven once from New York to Costa Rica and once I crossed the Rio Grande...I would have taken the 2-lane Trans-Canada Highway any day!
Old May 4th 2005, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

maybe i am out of line to say this..but this seems like a thread that should be in the lifestyle and cultural section...also..seems like it has turned into a HUGE whinge session.
Old May 4th 2005, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

any comments??
Quit moaning - least there's no road tax
Old May 5th 2005, 1:08 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
Quit moaning - least there's no road tax
There is too, $75 per vehicle per year in Ontario!!! My boss has two truck, turbo subaru, mazda miata and a couple of sportbikes....it all adds up!!!
Old May 5th 2005, 3:31 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

There is too, $75 per vehicle per year in Ontario!!! My boss has two truck, turbo subaru, mazda miata and a couple of sportbikes....it all adds up!!!
I might be wrong guys; but even though I landed like 3 days back, I just found a striking difference in roads's condition.. So, I decided to bring this up..
overall condition is nice, but I just found them bumpier than those in the UK.
Old May 5th 2005, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Not here, there aint
Old May 5th 2005, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

I am really shocked, about roads in Canada being worse than in the UK as I see roads in the UK far away from being excellent, I wonder if anybody has seen roads in Dubai or Doha?
Old May 5th 2005, 6:09 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Name one place where everything is perfect? The answer is that you can't!

I drove in the Vancouver BC area, and I didn't notice a difference between the roads quality in the Seattle area and the Vancouver area. The roads layout is different, which I actually like! It is all relative. I grew up in the UAE where the roads are 100 times better than the roads in the US. So let's all move to the UAE because the roads are better there

Come on guys let's stop this and quit the whining!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.