British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Shipping lists - my packing inventory is super vague (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/shipping-lists-my-packing-inventory-super-vague-844176/)

Wolfie and Will Sep 30th 2014 12:34 pm

Shipping lists - my packing inventory is super vague

Hi all,

I know the Goods to Follow/Accompanying lists can be brief and vague but I am still having a bit of trouble. The packing inventory I got from Anglo Pacific is incredibly vague. For example, we have 8 boxes of books but as I packed those myself, I know there are also cd's and other misc items inside those boxes. Similarly they have recorded 3 boxes of kitchenware but it does not break it down into cooking utensils/ serve-wear etc. Things like my box of sewing equipment is not even recorded on their list (although my sewing machine is). Nor do they mention my tent which I did decided to ship, incase anyone is still following that thread!

Should I be bulking it out a bit. I do have detailed lists which I made which have most of our items on it or can I really be that vague.

Three weeks to go- wheeeeee!

SchnookoLoly Sep 30th 2014 1:43 pm

Re: Shipping lists - my packing inventory is super vague

It all sounds fine, IMO.

You can always just list the tent separately as a high-value item.

This is what ours looked like - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post11202796

As you can see in our Kitchenware section, we just listed two specific things that were electronic and higher value, everything else just went into "Assorted", which included dishes, pots, pans, cutlery, utensils, servery, etc.

:)

Wolfie and Will Oct 1st 2014 6:47 am

great. thanks so much for the links- really really helpful!

Kaye5 Oct 1st 2014 10:48 pm

Ours didn't tally with the packers' list at all - pretty much for the reasons you have stated. I made up our own lists and presented those and the packers' lists, and both were copied, but they didn't really show much interest in either. No problems when we picked up our shipment(s).

Wolfie and Will Oct 2nd 2014 7:04 am

Thanks for that. I think I will do something similar as there a few electronic items in those boxes which have not been list. Taking both lists is a good idea. I am planning on filling out the B4 forms in advance (hopefully to save time and move an overtired toddler quicker through customs) so I guess I'll just take the inventory as a backup.

After 5 long years, I can't believe this is all happening in three weeks!

Kaye5 Oct 2nd 2014 4:09 pm

Good luck!

SchnookoLoly Oct 2nd 2014 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by Wolfie and Will (Post 11425451)
Thanks for that. I think I will do something similar as there a few electronic items in those boxes which have not been list. Taking both lists is a good idea. I am planning on filling out the B4 forms in advance (hopefully to save time and move an overtired toddler quicker through customs) so I guess I'll just take the inventory as a backup.

After 5 long years, I can't believe this is all happening in three weeks!

We didn't bother with the B4 in advance, we just let them do it at the airport, the guy was happy enough with it. He asked if we had it, we said we read it could be done at the airport which we preferred, that way we would know there weren't mistakes on it, particularly when it came to clearing our shipment down the road!

Are you ending up in Toronto?

Wolfie and Will Oct 2nd 2014 6:52 pm

Landing in Toronto late in the eve and I figured anything to speed up the process and get my toddler into a bed quickly is worth it! Good point on mistake checking though. Our list is really quite little so hopefully it will all be fine.

SchnookoLoly Oct 2nd 2014 7:23 pm

It didn't take us long when we went through. One person in front in line, a pretty quick stamp and seal and filling out the form, and all pretty much sorted from that point. Really didn't take very long. We just didn't want to risk anything going wrong, so just let the guy do it. We also had enough other stuff to worry about leading up to that point!

So exciting for you guys, 5 years in the making! Looking forward to hopefully seeing you guys at one of the future Toronto meetups too! :P :thumbup:

Wolfie and Will Oct 2nd 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up! Maybe I'll leave it after all. Hopefully it will be pretty quick or they will take pity on us. Just out of interest, do you know if they let you pick up your luggage before you go through immigration/customs? Bit worried about leaving 5 suitcases and 2 pushchairs whirling around the baggage claim for too long!

SchnookoLoly Oct 2nd 2014 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Wolfie and Will (Post 11426116)
Thanks for the heads up! Maybe I'll leave it after all. Hopefully it will be pretty quick or they will take pity on us. Just out of interest, do you know if they let you pick up your luggage before you go through immigration/customs? Bit worried about leaving 5 suitcases and 2 pushchairs whirling around the baggage claim for too long!

You *have* to have your luggage with you when you go through customs. :)

I posted this thread last year after I landed - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...sident-817081/

I was a returning resident, but the landing process is still pretty much the same, I didn't have to go through the process of getting PR activated, but the part about customs and Goods to Follow etc is the same.

Wolfie and Will Oct 2nd 2014 8:39 pm

thanks! I think I once read somewhere that there can be a delay in being allowed to go collect it all which is why I was a bit concerned!

muners Oct 5th 2014 2:32 am

could be worse, for some reason my removals company has put me as the customer not my wife ( I am already in country ) so I now have to go to the local customs office when my container arrives on order to sort the paperwork out, I have a copy of the contents but no idea what else I'll need as I was not in the UK when it was packed. Best laid plans and all that. Can't wait.......

Aviator Oct 5th 2014 5:27 pm

What is 'super vague' as opposed to vague?