British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Shipping after landed as student, no “to follow” list (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/shipping-after-landed-student-no-%E2%80%9C-follow%E2%80%9D-list-937289/)

Rabbithole Feb 23rd 2021 7:04 pm

Shipping after landed as student, no “to follow” list

Here’s our current situation:

We are in Canada on a study visa which runs out in June this year. I will be applying for a PGWP once my study visa expires. My husband has an OWP (off the back of my visa), we are currently in the EE pool but with limited points, this is more a long shot rather than a guarantee for us (but hey, who knows after the last draw)!

Anyway, we didn’t ship all out items back in 2019 but now my husband wants to get everything sent, we didn’t do a to follow list so know we will have to pay tax. My question is, will there be any restrictions on when we can send out, as in can I organise to do it now or should I do it after my PGWP is issued? Does anyone know if I can tie the shipping in with my new visa so I don’t have to pay tax? Am I missing anything that is glaringly obvious(not including my failure to do it properly first time round)?

any help or advise us always appreciated.

Former Lancastrian Feb 23rd 2021 9:34 pm

re: Shipping after landed as student, no “to follow” list

What happens if you don't get a PGWP????
I would wait to see what happens with the PGWP application and then go from there. Pointless shipping goods to Canada only to have them shipped back if no PGWP granted or you don't get selected for EE and then have to return.

Siouxie Feb 24th 2021 4:12 pm

re: Shipping after landed as student, no “to follow” list

As a student I'm not sure if you would come under the 'Settler' provision, so may not qualify to bring your goods in free of taxes and duty anyway..

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html
Settler
1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00, "settler" means any person who enters Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a residence for a period of not less than 12 months, but does not include a person who enters Canada for the purpose of
  • (a) employment for a period not exceeding 36 months;
  • (b) studying at an educational institution; or
  • (c) performing preclearance activities on behalf of the Government of the United States under the terms of the Agreement on Air Transport Preclearance between the Government of Canada and the Government of the United States of America, signed January 18, 2001.

I echo FormerLancastrian - I would wait until you know you qualify for one of the Permanent Residence streams and are likely to be successful in your submission (Express Entry or other), before making any commitment or arrangements to ship your belongings over; it would be awful to have to pay the shipping costs twice.

Have you both checked your points / the MyCIC portal recently?
If your husband is in the Express Entry pool and qualfied for Canadian Experience Class, he may have received an invitation already (they issued 27,000 the other day), so worth checking!
:fingerscrossed:

Former Lancastrian Feb 24th 2021 4:43 pm

Re: Shipping after landed as student, no “to follow” list

No a student isn't classed as a Settler. OP stated they didn't provide a list of goods to follow when they initially arrived hence my reluctance in advising them to shipping them over now seeing as the study permit expires in June and they have no idea if they will be allowed to stay in Canada or have to return. If they do get accepted for PR status that is when they would do a landing and then could present a goods to follow list and now qualify as a Settler and a lot easier to have the goods shipped. Too many ifs and buts at the moment.