Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Shift Change Resulting in almost 20K paycut

Shift Change Resulting in almost 20K paycut

Old Jan 25th 2016, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

muners is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shift Change Resulting in almost 20K paycut

Hello all, I am still locked into my TWP until sept, my company has just changed our shifts and this results in a loss of almost 20K over the year.

I take it as I am on TWP I am just along for the ride until either my PR comes through or my TWP comes to an end?

It is a unionized environment and there was no contest to the change from them.

On a side note, if my PR comes through before my TWP ends does that mean that I will be able to leave the company and work elsewhere straight away??

I look forward to the replies.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shift Change Resulting in almost 20K paycut

Originally Posted by muners
Hello all, I am still locked into my TWP until sept, my company has just changed our shifts and this results in a loss of almost 20K over the year.

I take it as I am on TWP I am just along for the ride until either my PR comes through or my TWP comes to an end?

It is a unionized environment and there was no contest to the change from them.

On a side note, if my PR comes through before my TWP ends does that mean that I will be able to leave the company and work elsewhere straight away??

I look forward to the replies.
Once you get PR status and have formally landed you are free to work for whoever and wherever you want. Failing that you will probably need a new LMIA if you wish to change employers.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

That's what I thought, fingers crossed it comes through before the summer. I'm done with this company, four guys put their notices in last week when the shifts were changed. They gave us three days notice. Good eh. Thanks.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that even as a TWP you are entitled to the same employment rights as a PR or citizen. So if the company has done something illegal under your provincial employment laws you do have redress.

However, I understand that it isn't always the best idea to go rocking the boat when your a TWP tied to the employer.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 7:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Don't forget that even as a TWP you are entitled to the same employment rights as a PR or citizen. So if the company has done something illegal under your provincial employment laws you do have redress.
In a unionised environment this would be very unlikely though.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Nothing we can do. The union signed off on the shift change without even seeing it. It's a production union so we get stiffed. It's crap but as the saying goes it is what it is. As per the collective agreement they only really need to give us 48hrs notice of a shift change. Proper gong show here.
Thanks for the replies. 👍