Default Sheffield to Okotoks, ALBERTA !

Hello everyone newby here !

husband = building surveyor / quantity surveyor / building manager
me = uk registered nurse for 13 years
3 little kids

WES ✅ IELTS ✅ (awaiting my results)

will be doing express entry with my husband as main applicant

chosen place to live is (hopefully) Okotoks, Alberta

If I move over I want a change of career , into education.
is it possible to work in schools as say an assistant or learning support with my background ? Or what will I require to help me get a job?

Hoping my husband will not have a problem and he will get a job before arriving, putting application in once I get my IELTS score next Friday , my husband already has a fantastic score of 8.5
Old Jul 29th 2021, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sheffield to Okotoks, ALBERTA !

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Hope that all goes smoothly for you, no FSW draws are being done under EE at the moment, but hopefully it won't be long before they start again. What's your husband's CRS score?

Might be worth having a search of the forums to find out what you'd need to do to be able to start working in your chosen new career in Canada, I'm sure there is relevant info out there somewhere. I have a vague recollection you'd need to jump through some hoops, but a forum search should give you more info. Be prepared for your husband not to find a job before arriving, it's very unusual to do so without skills really in demand. But you never know, he may get lucky. The Job Hunting section of the Wiki has some great tips.

I'll leave your thread here for now, but if your questions are mainly about jobs, the Canada forum may be a better place for it (the immigration section is really just for visa questions etc). So I can move it if you prefer.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 29th 2021, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Jade5093 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Hope that all goes smoothly for you, no FSW draws are being done under EE at the moment, but hopefully it won't be long before they start again. What's your husband's CRS score?

Might be worth having a search of the forums to find out what you'd need to do to be able to start working in your chosen new career in Canada, I'm sure there is relevant info out there somewhere. I have a vague recollection you'd need to jump through some hoops, but a forum search should give you more info. Be prepared for your husband not to find a job before arriving, it's very unusual to do so without skills really in demand. But you never know, he may get lucky. The Job Hunting section of the Wiki has some great tips.

I'll leave your thread here for now, but if your questions are mainly about jobs, the Canada forum may be a better place for it (the immigration section is really just for visa questions etc). So I can move it if you prefer.

Best of luck.

yes we are expecting them to start maybe in September when we can visit I think I saw a date of September 7th? (fingers crossed) sorry I have submitted to the wrong section newby error !
Old Aug 1st 2021, 6:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jade5093
yes we are expecting them to start maybe in September when we can visit I think I saw a date of September 7th? (fingers crossed) sorry I have submitted to the wrong section newby error !
Sept 7th is just opening up borders a bit, nothing to do with PR apps. Hopefully they’ll start processing PR apps normally again as time goes on though.

I’d expect the points threshold to go up to start with when they do start FSW draws again, but if your husband isn’t quite scoring enough for that hopefully it will settle back down in time to the normal points level.

Best of luck.