British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Settling down in Quebec without a CSQ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/settling-down-quebec-without-csq-560800/)

spas Sep 10th 2008 9:57 pm

Settling down in Quebec without a CSQ

I have a friend who initiated his immigration process through the Federal Government 3 or 4 years ago and has just got the visa. In these 3 or 4 years he had the chance to travel to Canada in several occasions an visited Ontario and Quebec. He originally intended to settle down in Ontario but after those trips he decided that he would be happier if he can settle down in Quebec.

The question is:
Once they become PRs will they have any restrictions to move to Quebec without having the CSQ?

I know that the phrase "I have a friend.." usually sounds like it's me not willing to disclose my situation openly but this is not the case. I became a PR few years ago. I used this forum back then and it was very useful.

Thanks,

Silvia

bflava Sep 10th 2008 10:17 pm

Re: Settling down in Quebec without a CSQ

Originally Posted by spas (Post 6770530)
I have a friend who initiated his immigration process through the Federal Government 3 or 4 years ago and has just got the visa. In these 3 or 4 years he had the chance to travel to Canada in several occasions an visited Ontario and Quebec. He originally intended to settle down in Ontario but after those trips he decided that he would be happier if he can settle down in Quebec.

The question is:
Once they become PRs will they have any restrictions to move to Quebec without having the CSQ?

I know that the phrase "I have a friend.." usually sounds like it's me not willing to disclose my situation openly but this is not the case. I became a PR few years ago. I used this forum back then and it was very useful.

Thanks,

Silvia

PR is PR and that means U PR in any Province?? ie A Permenent Resident (PR) of Canada and Quebec is in Canada so yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

good luck to your friend and if it is you, again good luck

spas Sep 11th 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks for your reply. I know that PR is PR and that nobody can't stop you if you want to move but when you apply you're asked where you want to live. Wouldn't it be taken as a lie if he said Toronto and as soon as he arrived settle in Quebec? Wouldn't it be a problem if he wants to apply for citizenship later on?

And thanks for the good wishes. As I said it's not me. I've been living in BC for more than 7 years and I don't have any plans on moving. Even though I visited Montreal and I loved it.

raymasa Sep 11th 2008 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by spas (Post 6772905)
Thanks for your reply. I know that PR is PR and that nobody can't stop you if you want to move but when you apply you're asked where you want to live. Wouldn't it be taken as a lie if he said Toronto and as soon as he arrived settle in Quebec? Wouldn't it be a problem if he wants to apply for citizenship later on?

And thanks for the good wishes. As I said it's not me. I've been living in BC for more than 7 years and I don't have any plans on moving. Even though I visited Montreal and I loved it.

I think the problem could occur only if it was the other way around. That is he got a CSQ from Quebec and left to settle somewhere else (I hear they make you some sort of statement when they give you the CSQ, but not sure). I don't think Quebec would like that, but they wont object him coming over and settling in.

Ray

spas Sep 12th 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks Raymasa for your answer. I wonder if somebody that settled in a different place from what they intended to later applied for citizenship and have a problem. I know that a PR can live anywhere in the country but how much CIC cares about the commitment to settle in a particular place.

Thanks again.

MarkG Sep 12th 2008 6:41 pm

You can't land in Quebec if you don't have the CSQ, but you can land elsewhere and move with no problems, provided you're a generic 'skilled worker' and not a PNP or similar.

Certainly when I landed my form said I was planning to go to Edmonton and I was actually going to Saskatoon; that caused precisely zero problems with the immigration officers.

bflava Sep 12th 2008 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 6777380)
You can't land in Quebec if you don't have the CSQ, but you can land elsewhere and move with no problems, provided you're a generic 'skilled worker' and not a PNP or similar.

Certainly when I landed my form said I was planning to go to Edmonton and I was actually going to Saskatoon; that caused precisely zero problems with the immigration officers.

sorry spas, no harm to you ok.

well you can say you want to live in Ontario, TO and later on change your mind and move, in this world is all about moving so good luck....

sorry Spas for my PR is PR situation.......

spas Sep 12th 2008 9:25 pm

Thanks MarkG for your reply.
I think that Raymasa hit the nail on the head. Look at the old posting that was answered by Andrew Miller.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117740
So the difference is that "declaration of intent to live in Quebec" as he said.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...imm0008_5e.pdf. The other applicants don't sign any similar document and that's the trick. At least not that I know of.
Because, of course, Quebec is a special case and Provincial Nominations too.
Thanks again.