Wikiposts

Settlement funds in Euro bills

Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Subj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Settlement funds in Euro bills

Hi everybody,

Would very much appreciate somebody clarifying the following:

I am planning to take the required "proof of funds" landing amount in cash , and have the rest wired to me after arrival.

However, in the light of the fact that CAD$15000 is a big pile of notes to carry around - would it be accepted by the immigration if I brought the money in EUR 500 bills instead (approx. EUR 10000 all togerther) and exchanged them in a Canadian bank ?

Thanks a lot in advance
Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:53 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: Settlement funds in Euro bills

Originally Posted by Subj
Hi everybody,

Would very much appreciate somebody clarifying the following:

I am planning to take the required "proof of funds" landing amount in cash , and have the rest wired to me after arrival.

However, in the light of the fact that CAD$15000 is a big pile of notes to carry around - would it be accepted by the immigration if I brought the money in EUR 500 bills instead (approx. EUR 10000 all togerther) and exchanged them in a Canadian bank ?

Thanks a lot in advance
Just tell me where and wen you will land, (got some Columbian friends that will be happy to welcome you )
Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:55 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mhhp
Just tell me where and wen you will land, (got some Columbian friends that will be happy to welcome you )
Seriously, you will be fine with Euro currency and may even get a better rate in Canada for the exchange. but why would you want to do that. There are less risky ways. Proof of accessable and transferrable funds at a major europeean Bank should be fine as well, If you have a credit card and something for your immediate needs.

Good to hear from you subj, you are the first Berliner Skilled worker for some time here to actually X the line. Good luck.

Last edited by mhhp; Mar 14th 2005 at 3:01 am.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Just give me their details - I will deliver in person

The original question still stands through....
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:02 am
keep checking....

Just give me their details - I will deliver in person

The original question still stands through....
Sorry I edited my last post to answer your question.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Seriously, you will be fine, but why would you want to do that. There are less risky ways.
Could you elaborate more on the less risky ways please ? Cause, having heard the horror stories about how some immigration officers refuse to accept bank statements from Western Banks (and mine, although reasonably popular in Germany, is not as widely known as say the Deutsche Bank) I figured cash would be the most fool-proof option.

So the last thing I would want to encounter is being refused entry because of some jerk not willing to believe a German bank statement....

P.S. I think we need to synchronize our questions/answers - we seem to be typing at the same time
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:08 am
keep checking....

Could you elaborate more on the less risky ways please ? Cause, having heard the horror stories about how some immigration officers refuse to accept bank statements from Western Banks (and mine, although reasonably popular in Germany, is not as widely known as say the Deutsche Bank) I figured cash would be the most fool-proof option.

So the last thing I would want to encounter is being refused entry because of some jerk not willing to believe a German bank statement....

P.S. I think we need to synchronize our questions/answers - we seem to be typing at the same time
I was told, that worst case, if you can show them access to your bank account with the correct ballance on the internet, that will be definite proof.

Also I you can have a secured/guaranteed check issued to yourself, which you can deposit as soon as you open a bank account in canada. Call your bank, I am sure they have other safer ways of transferring money.

perhaps someone else has another Idea.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:13 am
keep checking....

I was told, that worst case, if you can show them access to your bank account with the correct ballance on the internet, that will be definite proof.

Also I you can have a secured/guaranteed check issued to yourself, which you can deposit as soon as you open a bank account in canada. Call your bank, I am sure they have other safer ways of transferring money.

Allthough I think I read something about an overseas check taking upto 30 days to clear in canada.

Also I am quite certain you can open a canadian Bank account from Germany. Though not all banks do it I remember reading a thread where someone named a Bank that opened accounts remotely.

Perhaps someone else here remembers what bank that was, and can provide the contact details.
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Settlement funds in Euro bills

Thanks a lot, for the answers, mhhp .

Internet banking definitely starts to sound good, should be a credible proof , if crap decides to hit the fan. I'll probably follow your advise, and take a proof of funds letter from the bank alongside my recent statement printouts + the credit card and some cash to get by until I get the dough via transfer.

P.S. 4 and half months from now - can't wait
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:25 am
keep checking....

Thanks a lot, for the answers, mhhp .

Internet banking definitely starts to sound good, should be a credible proof , if crap decides to hit the fan. I'll probably follow your advise, and take a proof of funds letter from the bank alongside my recent statement printouts + the credit card and some cash to get by until I get the dough via transfer.

P.S. 4 and half months from now - can't wait
Wow, I am counting the days for you.

4.5 months should be enough to get something safe set up though.

Someone out there please name a bank in Canada, that will allow opening an account for my friend Subj from overseas. I will offer Karma to the first good post on that subject.