British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Settlement funds already working in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/settlement-funds-already-working-canada-787206/)

Arewemad Feb 13th 2013 3:09 am

Settlement funds already working in Canada

Hi all,

Would anyone be able to clarify whether or not, if my husband and I are already working in Canada when we apply for FSW1 do we have to provide proof of settlement funds. I am a little confused about what the press release in the gazette meant!!

'Settlement funds. Applicants already working in Canada or authorized to work in Canada have demonstrated their ability to enter the Canadian labour market and financially support themselves. Currently all applicants with qualifying offers of arranged employment in Canada are exempt from providing proof of settlement funds, whether they are working in Canada or not. The proposed regulations would amend the exemption so that it would no longer apply points to recipients of arranged employment who are not working or authorized to work in Canada. All other applicants would be required to provide proof of settlement funds.'

It's the bit at the start saying that applicants already working have proved they can support themselves....

Thank you :)

Siouxie Feb 13th 2013 3:52 am

Re: Settlement funds already working in Canada

If you are already working in Canada why would you wait until May? Why not apply under FSW2 (job offer) now?

Arewemad Feb 13th 2013 3:54 am

I wish i could!! I don't have a job offer, I am currently on a spousal open work permit and my husband is studying and will soon be changing to pgwp.

Siouxie Feb 13th 2013 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Arewemad (Post 10541498)
I wish i could!! I don't have a job offer, I am currently on a spousal open work permit and my husband is studying and will soon be changing to pgwp.

Ah, sorry!

Any chance he would be able to qualify under the PhD stream? No need to wait once he has graduated, if he does qualify.

"This temporary pause does not apply to those with a qualifying job offer or applying under the PhD stream."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...structions.asp

Regarding your original question, as I read it, if you are actually working in Canada with a valid work permit then there is no requirement to have proof of funds.

:)

Silverdragon102 Feb 13th 2013 8:24 am

In Canada working and just landed and didn't have to show any funds

christmasoompa Feb 13th 2013 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 (Post 10541822)
In Canada working and just landed and didn't have to show any funds

Did you apply under FSW 1 or 2 though Silverdragon?

My guess would be that if you're applying under FSW cat 1, proof of funds must be shown (as the job offer hasn't been approved by HRSDC and it's a requirement of the visa), but for FSW cat 2, it's not required.

OP, you are aware that you could apply under FSW cat 2 now even on a SOWP? You'd need a letter from your employer stating that they will employ you permanently once you get PR, but that's it.

Silverdragon102 Feb 13th 2013 4:07 pm

Was FSW cat 2

AmyDavid Feb 13th 2013 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10541932)
Did you apply under FSW 1 or 2 though Silverdragon?

My guess would be that if you're applying under FSW cat 1, proof of funds must be shown (as the job offer hasn't been approved by HRSDC and it's a requirement of the visa), but for FSW cat 2, it's not required.

OP, you are aware that you could apply under FSW cat 2 now even on a SOWP? You'd need a letter from your employer stating that they will employ you permanently once you get PR, but that's it.

That is right - FSW1, but now in Canada working - you still have to be able to prove those funds.

christmasoompa Feb 13th 2013 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 10542566)
That is right - FSW1, but now in Canada working - you still have to be able to prove those funds.

Thx for clarifying for us lovely lady. :)

Arewemad Feb 14th 2013 5:54 am

Christmasoompa, I didn't know I could apply with just a letter from my employer, that's great news!! I assume the job needs to be NOC level O, A or B?

Thank you for all the replies.... :)

christmasoompa Feb 14th 2013 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Arewemad (Post 10543914)
Christmasoompa, I didn't know I could apply with just a letter from my employer, that's great news!! I assume the job needs to be NOC level O, A or B?

Thank you for all the replies.... :)

Yep, and of course you must meet all the other criteria i.e. point score, passing the medical, etc.

Good luck.

wolstie Feb 14th 2013 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 10542566)

We had the same issue landing as Provincial Nominees. Even though I had a job (the job the provincial nomination was based on :confused:), the IO didn't care and wanted to see funds.

Somehow, maybe it being 10:30pm in a cold portacabin in Cornwall and 3 tired kids in tow, he backed down and stamped the COPRs.

buzzz Feb 14th 2013 8:26 pm

How much in settlement funds is required, say for a family with two kids?

christmasoompa Feb 14th 2013 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by buzzz (Post 10545836)
How much in settlement funds is required, say for a family with two kids?

About $21k. Be warned, it's not enough though, not sure why CIC put such a little amount! So have that as a minimum and take as much over it as you can.

HTH.

buzzz Feb 14th 2013 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10545846)
About $21k. Be warned, it's not enough though, not sure why CIC put such a little amount! So have that as a minimum and take as much over it as you can.

HTH.

Thank you for replying. At which point in the application process must you prove that you have these funds. My daughter and son in law are putting their application in in May and we may have to boost their bank account :ohmy: