Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Separate applications for common law couple?

Separate applications for common law couple?

Old Nov 16th 2016, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Lizzie990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Separate applications for common law couple?

Hi there, I'm new to the forum so apologies if this question has come up before.

My partner and I are just starting the process of applying for Express Entry (we have our IELTS test this weekend and have sent off for our ECA creditation for our degrees). A couple of different online calculators have said we would both get 479 points on common law applications (we have the same jobs, education and are both 30), so I imagine it probably won't make much difference which one of us is the primary applicant.

Just to increase our chances/hedge our bets we were planning on submitting separate applications for Express Entry so that both of us have live applications as the primary candidate with the other listed as the spouse. This would mean we could both apply for jobs through job bank while we wait to see if we are invited to apply for PR.

As an Immigration Officer will ultimately make a decision on applications on an individual basis (if we are lucky enough to be offered to apply for PR), I thought this might give us better odds of getting through, as on paper we are pretty much the same but two different IOs might have different views.

Has anyone tried this approach or is it against the rules? I have scoured the help pages on CIC but can't find anything and am desperate for advice on whether this is a terrible idea which might count against us!

Thanks
Old Nov 16th 2016, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Separate applications for common law couple?

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Lizzie990
Hi there, I'm new to the forum so apologies if this question has come up before.

My partner and I are just starting the process of applying for Express Entry (we have our IELTS test this weekend and have sent off for our ECA creditation for our degrees). A couple of different online calculators have said we would both get 479 points on common law applications (we have the same jobs, education and are both 30), so I imagine it probably won't make much difference which one of us is the primary applicant.

Just to increase our chances/hedge our bets we were planning on submitting separate applications for Express Entry so that both of us have live applications as the primary candidate with the other listed as the spouse. This would mean we could both apply for jobs through job bank while we wait to see if we are invited to apply for PR.

As an Immigration Officer will ultimately make a decision on applications on an individual basis (if we are lucky enough to be offered to apply for PR), I thought this might give us better odds of getting through, as on paper we are pretty much the same but two different IOs might have different views.

Has anyone tried this approach or is it against the rules? I have scoured the help pages on CIC but can't find anything and am desperate for advice on whether this is a terrible idea which might count against us!

Thanks
It's not against the rules, but tbh I can't see why you'd pay two lots of fees or go through the hassle twice - it is down the immigration officer, but they're following the same guidelines and criteria, and you're either eligible or you're not.

If you are scoring exactly the same, then you might want to go with whoever turns 31 last (as when the applicant turns 31 they'll lose points, so if you haven't received an ITA by then it might reduce your chances), or just whoever will find it easier to get all of the necessary paperwork i.e. employment references etc.

But it's up to you, you can both apply, but personally as soon as one gets an ITA, I would not bother pursuing the other application, as I just don't see the point in paying two lots of fees. It'll be expensive enough without adding another couple of thousand to it for a pointless application!

JMO though, your call obviously. Best of luck.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much - that is really helpful, think we will take that approach and go with whichever application gets the ITA first.

Fingers crossed one of us does at least!
Old Nov 17th 2016, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizzie990
A couple of different online calculators have said we would both get 479 points on common law applications
So you know this is the only calculator that matters,

Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) - tool

All changes on Saturday mind, but mostly for those with job offers or who have Canadian education. At 479 you should be selected reasonably quickly last 2 draws have both been in the 470s
Old Nov 17th 2016, 7:57 am
Just Joined

That's brilliant - thanks so much for your help.

Just tried that calculator and have come out with 479 still so that is definitely hopeful!

Thanks again!