Sending passports for visa

Old Jul 31st 2002, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bighead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending passports for visa

Hey guys, does anyone who have received the letter asking for the passports to be sent for visa stamping tell us:

- Are they asking just for the passports? Any other documents that were not normally required at this stage before June 28th?

- Any requests for more photographs? And if yes, then of all people in the application or only the ones over 18?

- Any additional forms to fill out?

- Any additional fee to be paid (for the PR card for example)

Thanks!!
Old Aug 1st 2002, 1:20 pm
The Wizzard

Default Re: Sending passports for visa

just do what it tells yout o do in the letter. if they want ed moer photographs and
money and forms theyd ask for them. if it jsut asks for passports then jsut send your
passports along with your details like cleintID etc so they know who you are.

"bighead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hey guys, does anyone who have received the letter asking for the passports to be
    > sent for visa stamping tell us:
    >
    > - Are they asking just for the passports? Any other documents that were not
    > normally required at this stage before June 28th?
    >
    > - Any requests for more photographs? And if yes, then of all people in the
    > application or only the ones over 18?
    >
    > - Any additional forms to fill out?
    >
    > - Any additional fee to be paid (for the PR card for example)
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 2:20 am
Hebrew

there is no immigration visa stamping fee.

return envelope with Express mail/Priority mail postage necessary (no courier
accepted).

no photographs necessary for immigration stamp, I am assuming you have already sent
your filled identification for along with two photographs (with full shoulders in the
picture etc)

After sending it wait for more than two weeks and they would send you the passport
back (mine has already take 11 days and have not heard anything so far).

H.

"bighead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hey guys, does anyone who have received the letter asking for the passports to be
    > sent for visa stamping tell us:
    >
    > - Are they asking just for the passports? Any other documents that were not
    > normally required at this stage before June 28th?
    >
    > - Any requests for more photographs? And if yes, then of all people in the
    > application or only the ones over 18?
    >
    > - Any additional forms to fill out?
    >
    > - Any additional fee to be paid (for the PR card for example)
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

doubter is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Big Head and Hebrew,

Iam also approaching this stage and my file is in Detroit, USA. For attaching the 'visa sticker', is Detroit office also asking applicants to send their passports, or are they still adopting the old system (sending the landing papers - IMM 1000) to approved applicants? Do you know anything about this? Where did you guys file and where did you send your passports to? Is sending passports safe?

Please advise.

Doubter.
Old Aug 2nd 2002, 8:20 am
The Wizzard

all visa posts should now be using this method as there shouldnt be any more
IMM1000's to mail. how safe sending it is depends how you send it. jsut make sure
you use a registered/priority post service. it is no different than when you apply
for a new passport and send your ol dpassport and birth certificate etc in the mail
and they return yoru new passport by mail. if you are that concerned take out
insurance against the mail but its probably not worth the extra cost. if the
passport did get lost you would i guess have the problem of needing a new passport
(new passport number) and the visa corresponding with the old one, but that shouldnt
be an issue now that the stamp is on the actual passport rather than on a seperate
piece of paper.

"doubter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Dear Big Head and Hebrew,
    >
    > Iam also approaching this stage and my file is in Detroit, USA. For attaching the
    > 'visa sticker', is Detroit office also asking applicants to send their passports,
    > or are they still adopting the old system (sending the landing papers - IMM 1000)
    > to approved applicants? Do you know anything about this? Where did you guys file
    > and where did you send your passports to? Is sending passports safe?
    >
    > Please advise.
    >
    > Doubter.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guys, thanks a lot for your responses.

My question was related more to what I should expect them to ask me, so I can have everything ready before I am asked to send the passports (may mean shaving off a week's worth of time from the process).

Again, Hebrew's responses were very helpful, I have a few more questions.

- When you say "no photographs necessary for immigration stamp, I am assuming you have already sent your filled identification for along with two photographs (with full shoulders in the picture etc)" what exactly do you mean?

- I applied before the new PR card requirement was in place, and am expecting my application to be in its final stages. I am expecting them to ask for my passports any time now. But the only thing that I had sent them were the required number of photo's as per the old application forms, and no "filled identification with two photographs". Am I correct in inferring that this is some new form that needs to be filled out?

- It has been mentioned many times that the fee for the PR Card is $50, and currently the application fee has been increased from $500 to $550 to reflect this. So the $50, does it need to be paid when they ask for the passports (and sent along with this "identification with two photographs" you speak of?). Or is the $50 to be paid at the actual time of landing?

- Do I need additional photo's taken apart from the ones I sent with my original application (applied in May 01, sent the photo's required in the application kit at the time.)

- What I would really appreciate is if someone who has gotten the letter asking for the passports for visa stamping, give an outline as to what they are being asked for in this letter the CHC sends out.

Thanks guys, for your responses!!
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

doubter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you 'Wizzard', but my concern and worry is about sending the passports of all the family members outside the country. As I said earlier, my file is currently in Detroit, USA and Iam currently stationed outside USA. To be frank, sending the passports overseas by post is illegal and prohibited in my native country. Yes, I agree, sending by registered mail, or a well reputed courier service may be safe, but just in case the customs open the packet, it would cause trouble. Can you give your views and opinion on this matter? 'Hebrew' and 'Bighead', please give your contributions too. Bighead, where (I mean, at which Consulate) is your file now?

- Doubter.

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 1:20 pm
The Wizzard

have you tried calling a CIC call centre or sending a fax to the visa post in detroit
asking for advice, stating that you are outside the USA and it is illegal for you to
send your passports over seas by mail?

"doubter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Thank you 'Wizzard', but my concern and worry is about sending the passports of all
    > the family members outside the country. As I said earlier, my file is currently in
    > Detroit, USA and Iam currently stationed outside USA. To be frank, sending the
    > passports overseas by post is illegal and prohibited in my native country. Yes, I
    > agree, sending by registered mail, or a well reputed courier service may be safe,
    > but just in case the customs open the packet, it would cause trouble. Can you give
    > your views and opinion on this matter? 'Hebrew' and 'Bighead', please give your
    > contributions too. Bighead, where (I mean, at which Consulate) is your file now?
    >
    > - Doubter.
    >
    > ______________________________________
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 5:20 pm
Anrkist

ssssssshhhhhhhhh ... he's probably leading the consulate to believe that he is still
living in the U.S..

The problem can be solved by transferring his file to his country of residence.

"The Wizzard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > have you tried calling a CIC call centre or sending a fax to the visa post in
    > detroit asking for advice, stating that you are outside the USA and it
is
    > illegal for you to send your passports over seas by mail?
    >
    >
    > "doubter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Thank you 'Wizzard', but my concern and worry is about sending the passports of
    > > all the family members outside the country. As I said earlier, my file is
    > > currently in Detroit, USA and Iam currently stationed outside USA. To be frank,
    > > sending the passports overseas by post is illegal and prohibited in my native
    > > country. Yes, I agree, sending by registered mail, or a well reputed courier
    > > service may be safe, but just in case the customs open the packet, it would cause
    > > trouble. Can you give your views and opinion on this matter? 'Hebrew' and
    > > 'Bighead', please give your contributions too. Bighead, where (I mean, at which
    > > Consulate) is your file now?
    > >
    > > - Doubter.
    > >
    > > ______________________________________
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    >

Old Aug 3rd 2002, 9:20 pm
Pmm

Hi Doubter

"anrkist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > ssssssshhhhhhhhh ... he's probably leading the consulate to believe that
he
    > is still living in the U.S..
    >
    > The problem can be solved by transferring his file to his country of residence.
    >
    >
    >
    > "The Wizzard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > have you tried calling a CIC call centre or sending a fax to the visa
    > > in detroit asking for advice, stating that you are outside the USA and
it
    > is
    > > illegal for you to send your passports over seas by mail?
    > >
    > >
    > > "doubter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Thank you 'Wizzard', but my concern and worry is about sending the passports of
    > > > all the family members outside the country. As I said earlier, my file is
    > > > currently in Detroit, USA and Iam currently stationed outside USA. To be frank,
    > > > sending the passports overseas by post is illegal and prohibited in my native
    > > > country. Yes, I agree, sending by registered mail, or a well reputed courier
    > > > service may be safe, but just in case the customs open the packet, it would
    > > > cause trouble. Can you give your views and opinion on this matter? 'Hebrew' and
    > > > 'Bighead', please give your contributions too. Bighead, where (I mean, at which
    > > > Consulate) is your file now?
    > > >
    > > > - Doubter.

I think you have a choice, either send the passports and get the visa's or not. I
doubt if CIC is going to change it's policies for you.

PMM

Old Aug 4th 2002, 12:20 am
The Wizzard

"anrkist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > ssssssshhhhhhhhh ... he's probably leading the consulate to believe that
he
    > is still living in the U.S..
    >
    > The problem can be solved by transferring his file to his country of residence.
    >
It seems a bit excessive to transfer the whole file if he has already been approved
and is just waiting the visa, and before IRPA when he applied you didnt have to live
in the USA to file in buffalo, its just you never had to send the passport in before
so there is a temporary clash there until all the old cases are done and everyone is
applying to their own visa post under the new law. I admit though that it seems he
must not have informed CIC that he no longer resides in the USA because surley they
wouldnt ask him to break the law by maioling passports over seas. I do not know why
he shouldnt inform them because he is allowed to move out of the USA, the main issue
for people is returning to the USA for an interview but he is well past that stage.
Im sure they could arrange for the visa to be issued at a local visa post maybe with
a delay though, or maybe he should fly to the USA and go get it done in person.

Old Aug 7th 2002, 5:49 am
Hebrew

Answers givben below:

----- Original Message ----- From: "bighead" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
misc.immigration.canada Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 2:28 PM Subject: Re: Sending
passports for visa

> Guys, thanks a lot for your responses.
    > My question was related more to what I should expect them to ask me, so I can have
    > everything ready before I am asked to send the passports (may mean shaving off a
    > week's worth of time from the process).
    > Again, Hebrew's responses were very helpful, I have a few more questions.
    > - When you say "no photographs necessary for immigration stamp, I am assuming you
    > have already sent your filled identification for along with two photographs (with
    > full shoulders in the picture etc)" what exactly do you mean?

Identification form is a seperate form that is sent to you. There are hardly four to
six lines of information required from you. I think that is for background check.
Alongwith the idenfication form they ask for two photographs showing full face and
full shoulders.

> - I applied before the new PR card requirement was in place, and am expecting my
    > application to be in its final stages. I am expecting them to ask for my
    > passports any time now. But the only thing that I had sent them were the required
    > number of photo's as per the old application forms, and no "filled identification
    > with two photographs". Am I correct in inferring that this is some new form that
    > needs to be filled out?

They would send it to you before they ask for passport.

> - It has been mentioned many times that the fee for the PR Card is $50, and
    > currently the application fee has been increased from $500 to $550 to reflect
    > this. So the $50, does it need to be paid when they ask for the passports (and
    > sent along with this "identification with two photographs" you speak of?). Or is
    > the $50 to be paid at the actual time of landing?

As the rule of issue of PR card is new so as far as I know they would ask for this
fee when ever you would apply for PR card after landing.

> - Do I need additional photo's taken apart from the ones I sent with my original
    > application (applied in May 01, sent the photo's required in the application kit
    > at the time.)

Yes. Two with identification form.
    > - What I would really appreciate is if someone who has gotten the letter asking for
    > the passports for visa stamping, give an outline as to what they are being asked
    > for in this letter the CHC sends out.

I have already written whatever I was asked for.
    > Thanks guys, for your responses!!
"bighead" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Guys, thanks a lot for your responses.
    > My question was related more to what I should expect them to ask me, so I can have
    > everything ready before I am asked to send the passports (may mean shaving off a
    > week's worth of time from the process).
    > Again, Hebrew's responses were very helpful, I have a few more questions.
    > - When you say "no photographs necessary for immigration stamp, I am assuming you
    > have already sent your filled identification for along with two photographs (with
    > full shoulders in the picture etc)" what exactly do you mean?
    > - I applied before the new PR card requirement was in place, and am expecting my
    > application to be in its final stages. I am expecting them to ask for my
    > passports any time now. But the only thing that I had sent them were the required
    > number of photo's as per the old application forms, and no "filled identification
    > with two photographs". Am I correct in inferring that this is some new form that
    > needs to be filled out?
    > - It has been mentioned many times that the fee for the PR Card is $50, and
    > currently the application fee has been increased from $500 to $550 to reflect
    > this. So the $50, does it need to be paid when they ask for the passports (and
    > sent along with this "identification with two photographs" you speak of?). Or is
    > the $50 to be paid at the actual time of landing?
    > - Do I need additional photo's taken apart from the ones I sent with my original
    > application (applied in May 01, sent the photo's required in the application kit
    > at the time.)
    > - What I would really appreciate is if someone who has gotten the letter asking for
    > the passports for visa stamping, give an outline as to what they are being asked
    > for in this letter the CHC sends out.
    > Thanks guys, for your responses!!
    > --

Old Aug 7th 2002, 5:02 pm
Ingrid

Hebrew,

Even though your input is highly appreciated as you are one of the first ones to have
been requested passports, I think everyone has a different case and requirements. Let
me tell you why I think this: I was never asked for any "Identification form" nor any
more pictures besides what I sent with my original application. This is definately
not something everyone is required to do. I wasn't!! I did my medicals in March 2002
and delivered Police Certificates in May 2002. I didn't hear anything from Buffalo
until July 26th 2002 when I received a letter saying that my application process was
almost completed and in order to issue the visa I had to send my passport ONLY. It
was very clear in their letter that nothing else should be included with my passport
and that they would return it via regular mail (so no chance to send a prepaid
registered envelope for them to use, even if I wanted) I suppose the finalization of
each case is handled differently depending on the particular circumstances of each
applicant.

I am now waiting to get my passport back with the visa attached and a "Confirmation
of Residency" document that they mentioned they would sent along with passport and
visa. I am assuming that I should take the $50 fee for PR card when I land and I am
also going to take extra pictures just in case they ask for them at landing. Other
than that, the process for finalizing the application seems quite straight forward,
at least, until now.

I hope this info helps other people that are also at the final stages.... Ingrid

"Hebrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>.. .
    > Answers givben below:
    > ----- Original Message ----- From: "bighead" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
    > misc.immigration.canada Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 2:28 PM Subject: Re: Sending
    > passports for visa
    > > Guys, thanks a lot for your responses.
    > >
    > > My question was related more to what I should expect them to ask me, so I can
    > > have everything ready before I am asked to send the passports (may mean shaving
    > > off a week's worth of time from the process).
    > >
    > > Again, Hebrew's responses were very helpful, I have a few more questions.
    > >
    > > - When you say "no photographs necessary for immigration stamp, I am assuming you
    > > have already sent your filled identification for along with two photographs
    > > (with full shoulders in the picture etc)" what exactly do you mean?
    > Identification form is a seperate form that is sent to you. There are hardly four
    > to six lines of information required from you. I think that is for background
    > check. Alongwith the idenfication form they ask for two photographs showing full
    > face and full shoulders.
    > >
    > > - I applied before the new PR card requirement was in place, and am expecting my
    > > application to be in its final stages. I am expecting them to ask for my
    > > passports any time now. But the only thing that I had sent them were the
    > > required number of photo's as per the old application forms, and no "filled
    > > identification with two photographs". Am I correct in inferring that this is
    > > some new form that needs to be filled out?
    > They would send it to you before they ask for passport.
    > >
    > > - It has been mentioned many times that the fee for the PR Card is $50, and
    > > currently the application fee has been increased from $500 to $550 to reflect
    > > this. So the $50, does it need to be paid when they ask for the passports (and
    > > sent along with this "identification with two photographs" you speak of?). Or
    > > is the $50 to be paid at the actual time of landing?
    > As the rule of issue of PR card is new so as far as I know they would ask for this
    > fee when ever you would apply for PR card after landing.
    > >
    > > - Do I need additional photo's taken apart from the ones I sent with my original
    > > application (applied in May 01, sent the photo's required in the application
    > > kit at the time.)
    > Yes. Two with identification form.
    > >
    > > - What I would really appreciate is if someone who has gotten the letter asking
    > > for the passports for visa stamping, give an outline as to what they are being
    > > asked for in this letter the CHC sends out.
    > I have already written whatever I was asked for.
    > >
    > > Thanks guys, for your responses!!
    > >
    > "bighead" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Guys, thanks a lot for your responses.
    > >
    > > My question was related more to what I should expect them to ask me, so I can
    > > have everything ready before I am asked to send the passports (may mean shaving
    > > off a week's worth of time from the process).
    > >
    > > Again, Hebrew's responses were very helpful, I have a few more questions.
    > >
    > > - When you say "no photographs necessary for immigration stamp, I am assuming you
    > > have already sent your filled identification for along with two photographs
    > > (with full shoulders in the picture etc)" what exactly do you mean?
    > >
    > > - I applied before the new PR card requirement was in place, and am expecting my
    > > application to be in its final stages. I am expecting them to ask for my
    > > passports any time now. But the only thing that I had sent them were the
    > > required number of photo's as per the old application forms, and no "filled
    > > identification with two photographs". Am I correct in inferring that this is
    > > some new form that needs to be filled out?
    > >
    > > - It has been mentioned many times that the fee for the PR Card is $50, and
    > > currently the application fee has been increased from $500 to $550 to reflect
    > > this. So the $50, does it need to be paid when they ask for the passports (and
    > > sent along with this "identification with two photographs" you speak of?). Or
    > > is the $50 to be paid at the actual time of landing?
    > >
    > > - Do I need additional photo's taken apart from the ones I sent with my original
    > > application (applied in May 01, sent the photo's required in the application
    > > kit at the time.)
    > >
    > > - What I would really appreciate is if someone who has gotten the letter asking
    > > for the passports for visa stamping, give an outline as to what they are being
    > > asked for in this letter the CHC sends out.
    > >
    > > Thanks guys, for your responses!!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > >

Old Aug 7th 2002, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ingrid, thats great! Congratulations.

Hebrew thanks a lot for your response as well.

Ingrid, I dont suppose you could post your timeline, as well as your profile? Would help people at their "assessment letter" stage.

Fron what little I have seen of recent timelines, it appears that Buffalo is taking a little over 18~22 weeks from the medical exams being done to the actual request for passport to be sent, provided there are no additional documents or tests required.

From Hebrew's other posts, it seems they are taking more then 2 weeks for returning the passport, but it should probably be within 4 weeks.

Thats working out to about 6 months end to end by the time you have your visa in hand, from the medical exams.
Old Aug 7th 2002, 9:04 pm
Anonymous

"The Wizzard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > "anrkist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > ssssssshhhhhhhhh ... he's probably leading the consulate to believe that
    > he
    > > is still living in the U.S..
    > >
    > > The problem can be solved by transferring his file to his country of residence.
    > >
    > It seems a bit excessive to transfer the whole file if he has already been approved
    > and is just waiting the visa, and before IRPA when he applied you didnt have to
    > live in the USA to file in buffalo, its just you never had to send the passport in
    > before so there is a temporary clash there until all the old cases are done and
    > everyone is applying to their own visa post under the new law. I admit though that
    > it seems he must not have informed CIC that he no longer resides in the USA because
    > surley they wouldnt ask him to break the law by maioling passports over seas. I do
    > not know why he shouldnt inform them because he is allowed to move out of the USA,
    > the main issue for people is returning to the USA for an interview but he is well
    > past that stage. Im sure they could arrange for the visa to be issued at a local
    > visa post maybe with a delay though, or maybe he should fly to the USA and go get
    > it done in person.

The choice is yours deliver the passports or risk having your application wither on
the vine. Of course you could get on an airplane and take the passports by hand and
deliver them yourself if you have a US visa Alternatively you may have a freind who
is travleing to the USA do it for you. I do not think Detroit is going to go out of
the way and make an exception for you.

Jim Metcalfe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.