Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sending Medical and Police certificate later..

Sending Medical and Police certificate later..

Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

leg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant future
Default Sending Medical and Police certificate later..

Hello all,
I had a quick look but couldn't find the answer.

I am currently on a really tight schedule in regards to getting my PR. I wondered if it was possible to send all forms and documents then send out a separate package with my medical and police certificate information in?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending Medical and Police certificate later..

Originally Posted by leg89
Hello all,
I had a quick look but couldn't find the answer.

I am currently on a really tight schedule in regards to getting my PR. I wondered if it was possible to send all forms and documents then send out a separate package with my medical and police certificate information in?

Many thanks!
What stream are you applying under?

If you look at the document checklist of the application, if it states to include your police certificate and medical receipt then that is what you need to do, otherwise the application will be deemed incomplete and returned to you.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

leg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant futureleg89 has a brilliant future

many thanks! I'm applying outland.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:45 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leg89
many thanks! I'm applying outland.
Need to be sent as a complete package.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point

Outland spousal? Well actually, no. The proof of the medical is required, but you can write on the Checlkist that police certificates will be supplied once a file number is available from the visa post. I have done it many times. If you have all the police certificates send them with the application, but I would not hold up the application waiting for them.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Oh really?. I am applying Outland common law. So when I receive a file number (I assume i get this when they receive it). I send my police cert via post, with the file number listed to Mississauga?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

No, I don't recommend that you send the police clearance(s) to Mississauga if they are not sent with the original application. Send them to the visa post e.g. CHC London after the sponsor is approved , quoting the full names, date of birth ad file number of the applicant for permanent residence (seems as though that is you).

These days, when CPC-Mississauga approves the sponsor a letter is issued (or an e-mail is sent) giving the file number and the mailing address to which further information can be sent. That is the address you should use.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:13 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firstchoice
Outland spousal? Well actually, no. The proof of the medical is required, but you can write on the Checlkist that police certificates will be supplied once a file number is available from the visa post. I have done it many times. If you have all the police certificates send them with the application, but I would not hold up the application waiting for them.

Additional information should only be given when requested, not 'tacked onto' an application after submission. If you could send in police certificates willy nilly then everyone would do so instead of them having their police certificates expiring!

The only documentary evidence added after submission should be the official marriage certificate - provided a copy of the certificate given at time of marriage is included - but this doesn't apply in this case.

OP, you can apply for an expedited ACPO which should be returned to you in 7 days and I would suggest doing so. A delay of a week is nothing.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Well it is up to the OP what they want to do . Submission of police certificates at a later date is allowed. I suppose the real point is the OP asked if police and medical certificates can be sent after the application, and the answer to that is no, but it is OK to send the police clearance later.

If you think about it carefully, CIC actually have to allow the submission of police certificates later. In some instances police certificates take many months to obtain, So if CIC insisted on submission with the application, it is entirely possible that an applicant would have police certificates expire while waiting for police certificates to arrive from a different country.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 12:32 am
Banned

Well it is up to the OP what they want to do . Submission of police certificates at a later date is allowed. I suppose the real point is the OP asked if police and medical certificates can be sent after the application, and the answer to that is no, but it is OK to send the police clearance later.

If you think about it carefully, CIC actually have to allow the submission of police certificates later. In some instances police certificates take many months to obtain, So if CIC insisted on submission with the application, it is entirely possible that an applicant would have police certificates expire while waiting for police certificates to arrive from a different country.
Ah, but what you are referring to are applications under a totally different stream to the OP. You are referring to applications where CIC state that Police Certificates 'should' be sent with the application, where possible - such as FSW application (see attachment) whereas Family stream REQUIRE you to submit the Police Certificate with the application, it is not given as an option to submit later.

"..POLICE CERTIFICATES AND CLEARANCES
Police certificates or clearances from each country in which you and every one in your family aged 18 years or over have resided six months or more since reaching 18 years of age. You must attach the original police document(s) ..."

Attached Thumbnails Sending Medical and Police certificate later..-capture.jpg  
Old Apr 21st 2013, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

I was in fact referring to the OP's outland common-law application

If you want to bring in other visa categories, the checklist for Provincial nominees (for instance) appears to insist on sending police clearances with the application. Provincial nomination certificates expire, and in certain cases will not be reissued. So sometimes Provincial nominees are actually forced to send their police clearances later.

I want to be clear that I would not suggest this in every case. If for instance someone might have forgotten they had a conviction I would not recommend sending the application without police clearances, because the signed Schedule A would be incorrect. Don't laugh, sometimes people actually forget, or do not realise, they actually have something that will show up on a police certificate. However I take it that is not the case here and we are just dealing with an honest ordinary couple in a hurry. Seeing the OP is in a rush, I explained that it is OK to send police certificates later. That is based, again, on my personal experience of outland spousal/common-law cases. I have never had an outland application returned because police clearances were not included.

Again, the OP and her partner can make up their own minds. The OP asked if the proof of medical and police clearance can be sent later. If it will take them some time for a medical and they want to pay for an expedited police clearance then they can go that route and send everything together. However there is always the possibility that the medical can be done quickly and they do not want to spend more money, in which case they may not want to wait.

Enough from me now. Have a good weekend.

Last edited by firstchoice; Apr 21st 2013 at 2:30 am.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:40 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't recommend that you send the police clearance(s) to Mississauga if they are not sent with the original application. Send them to the visa post e.g. CHC London after the sponsor is approved , quoting the full names, date of birth ad file number of the applicant for permanent residence (seems as though that is you).

These days, when CPC-Mississauga approves the sponsor a letter is issued (or an e-mail is sent) giving the file number and the mailing address to which further information can be sent. That is the address you should use.
This seems incredibly sloppy advice to me.

CIC strongly recommend you send a complete application from the get go.

Also the address they give on the email is the address of the Mississauga office...which isn't where you'd want to be sending a police check if you were doing it late.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:55 am
Banned

I was in fact referring to the OP's outland common-law application

If you want to bring in other visa categories, the checklist for Provincial nominees (for instance) appears to insist on sending police clearances with the application. Provincial nomination certificates expire, and in certain cases will not be reissued. So sometimes Provincial nominees are actually forced to send their police clearances later.

I want to be clear that I would not suggest this in every case. If for instance someone might have forgotten they had a conviction I would not recommend sending the application without police clearances, because the signed Schedule A would be incorrect. Don't laugh, sometimes people actually forget, or do not realise, they actually have something that will show up on a police certificate. However I take it that is not the case here and we are just dealing with an honest ordinary couple in a hurry. Seeing the OP is in a rush, I explained that it is OK to send police certificates later. That is based, again, on my personal experience of outland spousal/common-law cases. I have never had an outland application returned because police clearances were not included.

Again, the OP and her partner can make up their own minds. The OP asked if the proof of medical and police clearance can be sent later. If it will take them some time for a medical and they want to pay for an expedited police clearance then they can go that route and send everything together. However there is always the possibility that the medical can be done quickly and they do not want to spend more money, in which case they may not want to wait.

Enough from me now. Have a good weekend.
Why anyone would suggest that somebody should not heed the directions and requirements that CIC have in place, is beyond me. Unless the OP has to get Police clearance from a country that is incredibly difficult to get then there really is no excuse not to obtain them prior to sending the application off. Whilst CIC, no doubt, allow the practice - in mitigating circumstances - I hardly think "because I wanted to get my application sent off quickly" is going to cut it.

Better to wait a week or two to get the police certificate than have an application delayed due to not submitting them with the application - or worse case scenario, the application is returned as incomplete.

Considering the 'standard' processing for UK Police Certificates is 10 days plus mailing, there shouldn't be too much of a delay if the OP chooses not to ask for an expedited one (2 days).

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 21st 2013 at 5:59 am.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by orly
This seems incredibly sloppy advice to me.

CIC strongly recommend you send a complete application from the get go.

Also the address they give on the email is the address of the Mississauga office...which isn't where you'd want to be sending a police check if you were doing it late.
Thanks for that.

Actually I did recommend that police clearance(s) should be sent with the application if they are available. I have simply taken some time and trouble to answer the OP's question accurately - at this point it amounts to considerable effort.

If only a short tine will elapse before police clearances arrive, then it will make sense to wait for them - however it is simply inaccurate to state that police clesarances must always be sent with an outland common-law application.

I find in practice CIC apply their discretion reasonably and fairly where police certificates are submitted later.

I have also pointed out that if you were to follow the CIC checklist slavishly, situations will arise where police certificates cannot be obtained in time to submit a valid application, and people would lose any chance of PR. I definitely do not agree with the idea that people should give up their chance of PR in this situation.

If on the other hand you are one of those people who believe that CIC is some type of benevolent dictatorship whose instructions must be followed at all times, it would appear that renders most of this discussion forum moot and some people should simply accept the expiry of police certicates and the resulting termination of their plans to immigrate because that is what the CIC checklists dictate.

I am not sure which e-mails you received from CPC Mississauga, perhaps you only received their initial acknowledgment and not the e-mail approval of the sponsor. All the e-mails I have ever seen approving the sponsor give the name and address of the visa post to which the application for permanent residence is being sent.

Last edited by firstchoice; Apr 21st 2013 at 6:11 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 7:19 pm
Banned

Thanks for that.

Actually I did recommend that police clearance(s) should be sent with the application if they are available. I have simply taken some time and trouble to answer the OP's question accurately - at this point it amounts to considerable effort.

If only a short tine will elapse before police clearances arrive, then it will make sense to wait for them - however it is simply inaccurate to state that police clesarances must always be sent with an outland common-law application.

I find in practice CIC apply their discretion reasonably and fairly where police certificates are submitted later.

I have also pointed out that if you were to follow the CIC checklist slavishly, situations will arise where police certificates cannot be obtained in time to submit a valid application, and people would lose any chance of PR. I definitely do not agree with the idea that people should give up their chance of PR in this situation.

If on the other hand you are one of those people who believe that CIC is some type of benevolent dictatorship whose instructions must be followed at all times, it would appear that renders most of this discussion forum moot and some people should simply accept the expiry of police certicates and the resulting termination of their plans to immigrate because that is what the CIC checklists dictate.

I am not sure which e-mails you received from CPC Mississauga, perhaps you only received their initial acknowledgment and not the e-mail approval of the sponsor. All the e-mails I have ever seen approving the sponsor give the name and address of the visa post to which the application for permanent residence is being sent.
I do not dispute that there are occasions whereby it is perfectly reasonable and understandable to have to submit police certificates at a later point - for instance, if you had to obtain one from, say, Afghanistan or similar where they are very difficult (if not impossible) to obtain, or indeed when waiting for Federal clearance when State clearance has already been obtained. However, when one only needs to obtain clearance from one country - for instance the UK - then I cannot see how CIC would accept an excuse that 'we were in a hurry' to excuse non compliance.

I realise that you are an Immigration Consultant, (and perhaps as such can 'get things through' that the general public perhaps can't - not stating that is so, just that it is possible) but I don't think your sarcasm and the belittling comment was necessary or called for.

At the end of the day, we are all trying to assist people in the best way we know how. In your case, it is as an Immigration Consultant - in the rest of us, it is as 'lay people' who have experienced at first hand the vagaries that occur when you come up against a 'jobs worth' officer at CIC who, if everything is not in place, would have no hesitation in casting an application aside as incomplete.

Have a good weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.