Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Sending Commonlaw Application in a big ringbinder

Sending Commonlaw Application in a big ringbinder

Old Sep 4th 2016, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

yeastery is on a distinguished road
Default Sending Commonlaw Application in a big ringbinder

Hi all,

I'm trying to make my application as organized as possible to make things easier on the Immigration people and hopefully get a faster processing time.

Here's my question: right now I have my documents organized into see-through folders with stickers on them that are organized into sections of a ringbinder. Does anyone with the inside scoop know whether this would be helpful or irritating to the immigration people? I imagine they sort all the documents into their own system anyway, but wanted to at least send it as organized as possible. There's a lot of documents in there.

Would love advice!
Old Sep 4th 2016, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending Commonlaw Application in a big ringbinder

Originally Posted by yeastery
Hi all,

I'm trying to make my application as organized as possible to make things easier on the Immigration people and hopefully get a faster processing time.

Here's my question: right now I have my documents organized into see-through folders with stickers on them that are organized into sections of a ringbinder. Does anyone with the inside scoop know whether this would be helpful or irritating to the immigration people? I imagine they sort all the documents into their own system anyway, but wanted to at least send it as organized as possible. There's a lot of documents in there.

Would love advice!
They are very clear that there should be no staples, pins or paperclips with the barcode pages on top. This says to me (working in an office environment) that they will want to 'image and workflow' your pack on receipt.

A ring binder will be just another PITA where the poor guys scanning will have to take it all out and throw away the binder - fine for you to collate and organise, but I suggest not a great idea to actually then send on to Mississauga.

Best to send as all 'loose leaf' maybe in two 'slip in' plastic sleeve - one for the sponsor and one for the applicant. I put small items, like photos etc. in larger envelopes so they wouldn't fall out.
Old Sep 5th 2016, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

adfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond reputeadfletch83 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
They are very clear that there should be no staples, pins or paperclips with the barcode pages on top. This says to me (working in an office environment) that they will want to 'image and workflow' your pack on receipt.

A ring binder will be just another PITA where the poor guys scanning will have to take it all out and throw away the binder - fine for you to collate and organise, but I suggest not a great idea to actually then send on to Mississauga.

Best to send as all 'loose leaf' maybe in two 'slip in' plastic sleeve - one for the sponsor and one for the applicant. I put small items, like photos etc. in larger envelopes so they wouldn't fall out.
We did something similar to Hurlabrick. We had 3 plastic sleeves; Sponsor Application Forms (+ supporting documents), Applicant Application Forms (+ supporting documents) and Proof of Genuine Relationship (photos, cards, hotel bookings, flight tickets, letters etc). We made a contents page for each of the 3. But generally, as long as it's organised then they'll find their ways through it. They see these forms day in, day out. I'd really advise against a folder, ring binder and numerous plastic sheets.

Good luck!
Old Sep 5th 2016, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adfletch83
I'd really advise against a folder, ring binder and numerous plastic sheets.
+1

It looks nice to you, but they don't like it.

S
Old Sep 5th 2016, 4:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The fastest way is always going to be to follow the instructions, precisely.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hey all,

Thank you for this great feedback. I've ended up sectioning the application as suggested on the forum. It's ready to go!

I've seen references on this forum to specific instructions provided by the CIC e.g. loose leaf, etc. I can't find those anywhere in the application forms or the application guide - Guide 5289 - Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class Am I missing an important document?
Old Sep 10th 2016, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Eg is it ok to print forms double sided, small stuff like that
Old Sep 10th 2016, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Eg is it ok to print forms double sided, small stuff like that
What does the guide/instructions say?
Old Sep 10th 2016, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What does the guide/instructions say?
Another user wrote above:

"They are very clear that there should be no staples, pins or paperclips"

However I don't see any reference to such requirements in the application guide. So I'm just not sure where info like that above and other stuff I've seen around the forums comes from. Guide 5289 - Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class
Old Sep 10th 2016, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Another user wrote above:

"They are very clear that there should be no staples, pins or paperclips"

However I don't see any reference to such requirements in the application guide. So I'm just not sure where info like that above and other stuff I've seen around the forums comes from. Guide 5289 - Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class
So if it doesn't say you can't then it will be ok. If its not on the list not to do then safe to assume its OK otherwise they would tell you single page only no double sided.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So if it doesn't say you can't then it will be ok. If its not on the list not to do then safe to assume its OK otherwise they would tell you single page only no double sided.
Makes sense, I was just worried there was some information somewhere I was missing. If it wasn't for this forum, I'd be sending the application in a ringbinder with similar documents stapled together.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 9:25 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on mobile, I'll check Monday, but I distinctly remember reading no paperclips or staples when we applied, but that was 5 years ago.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I'm on mobile, I'll check Monday, but I distinctly remember reading no paperclips or staples when we applied, but that was 5 years ago.
I couldn't find anything in the Instruction Guide or Document checklist apart from notes on photocopies and sending originals or not to send them or if signatures missing or missing a form. Perhaps someone could confirm this and post the relevant info.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

In the region specific guides, it says:

"Do not send your documents in transparency pockets, binders or folders."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf

S
Old Sep 10th 2016, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Interesting, so it's covered in the Outland Canada application but not the inland? Can't be intentional.

Really appreciate the support!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.