Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

semi-skilled work stream (C classification) and live in carer programme

Wikiposts

semi-skilled work stream (C classification) and live in carer programme

Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:00 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default semi-skilled work stream (C classification) and live in carer programme

Been looking and my NOC code is 4412 under C classification.

I had a look at the BC PNP information and I can apply providing I work for an employer in the North Eastern area of the province (will need to research this geographical area more).

The other option is the 'live in carer programme' in which I need a LMO and I believe one of the criteria is I need to live within the private home where I am employed. Still an option.

i am going to be on IEC for 12 months and then hopefully another 12 next year. I suppose my job could change within that time and new doors may open.

Just wanted to see if anyone has applied through the live in carer programme and what it is like. I have 2 years residential carer experience with children (not with disabilities)
Old Dec 31st 2013, 5:40 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: semi-skilled work stream (C classification) and live in carer programme

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Been looking and my NOC code is 4412 under C classification.

I had a look at the BC PNP information and I can apply providing I work for an employer in the North Eastern area of the province (will need to research this geographical area more).

The other option is the 'live in carer programme' in which I need a LMO and I believe one of the criteria is I need to live within the private home where I am employed. Still an option.

i am going to be on IEC for 12 months and then hopefully another 12 next year. I suppose my job could change within that time and new doors may open.

Just wanted to see if anyone has applied through the live in carer programme and what it is like. I have 2 years residential carer experience with children (not with disabilities)
With regards to the live-in carer program, you would need to leave Canada in order to participate in it. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ca.../apply-who.asp

There are other Provinces that have semi-skilled streams:

Nova Scotia semi-skilled with 6 months' work: http://novascotiaimmigration.com/imm...killed-worker/

New Brunswick (1 year): http://www.welcomenb.ca/content/dam/...yerSupport.pdf

Newfoundland: http://www.nlpnp.ca/skilledworker.html

Edited to say, this is a link so you can see where the NE region is: https://tools.britishcolumbia.ca/Inv...onID=445&map=1

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 31st 2013 at 5:42 am.
Old Dec 31st 2013, 8:58 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: semi-skilled work stream (C classification) and live in carer programme

Thank you for all the links and information.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 11:22 am
Bex in the city

Ok so I've had a bit of nose and the live in carer programme is a no no (looking at the average hourly wage at $10 an hour - although you get your accommodation and meals) but it's not for me!

In regards to the semi-skilled streams: New Brunswick does not offer PNP for skill category 4 under C classification (my category). So it just leaves the other two provinces and north eastern BC.

Then again I have my heart set on BC and the area around Vancouver so I think I'll just have to see what happens in the 12 months I am there and if it's meant to be then it's meant to be.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 4:53 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Ok so I've had a bit of nose and the live in carer programme is a no no (looking at the average hourly wage at $10 an hour - although you get your accommodation and meals) but it's not for me!

In regards to the semi-skilled streams: New Brunswick does not offer PNP for skill category 4 under C classification (my category). So it just leaves the other two provinces and north eastern BC.

Then again I have my heart set on BC and the area around Vancouver so I think I'll just have to see what happens in the 12 months I am there and if it's meant to be then it's meant to be.

LCPs pay for their room and board, believe it is $350 a month.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:50 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

LCPs pay for their room and board, believe it is $350 a month.
Although cheaper then renting somewhere the wages are still very low for the amount of work involved.

Last edited by beckiwoo; Jan 1st 2014 at 6:57 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 5:35 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Well, not really. $10 per hour is about what an early childhood worker is paid, and that's what most live-in caregivers are - nannies. It's how the government avoids having to provide more childcare services.

Having said that, we used Nannies On Line a lot and their nannies are paid much more - $16 -$20. Maybe worth looking into?
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:22 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Well, not really. $10 per hour is about what an early childhood worker is paid, and that's what most live-in caregivers are - nannies. It's how the government avoids having to provide more childcare services.

Having said that, we used Nannies On Line a lot and their nannies are paid much more - $16 -$20. Maybe worth looking into?
$10 = £5.60 an hour - well under the minimum wage for the UK and considering parts of Canada have a higher cost of living. I realise that Canada probably has separate minimum wages for different jobs

It's not the kind of work I want to do, I just wasn't sure what the LCP was about but now I understand. I'd rather work with children that have been taken into care which is my background. Thanks anyway
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

$10 = £5.60 an hour - well under the minimum wage for the UK and considering parts of Canada have a higher cost of living. I realise that Canada probably has separate minimum wages for different jobs

It's not the kind of work I want to do, I just wasn't sure what the LCP was about but now I understand. I'd rather work with children that have been taken into care which is my background. Thanks anyway
Unfortunately, what the UK minimum wage is, is irrelevant. The minimum wage for BC is $10.25 an hour, pretty much on par with most of the other Provinces (though Alberta is $9.95). The only real difference in minimum wage rate is when it comes to 'servers' and some specific types of work.

http://srv116.services.gc.ca/dimt-wi....aspx?lang=eng

you are able to get a better paid job that could lead to PR in the future.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 2nd 2014 at 7:04 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:33 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Unfortunately, what the UK minimum wage is, is irrelevant. The minimum wage for BC is $10.25 an hour, pretty much on par with most of the other Provinces (though Alberta is $9.95). The only real difference in minimum wage rate is when it comes to 'servers' and some specific types of work.

you are able to get a better paid job that could lead to PR in the future.

Happy to take a pay cut with what I am earning equivalent in UK but I am looking around $15 an hour which is what child care workers/ residential care workers pay according to jobs advertised in craigslist.

It's not so much about the money I just don't know if I could be a nanny/au pair.

How easily can people generally get by on $10.25 an hour?
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:41 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

One of our nannies was educated to Masters level in child development and education. He had an impressive background. He was working as a nanny while he tried to find that elusive real job (laid off from old job - due to loss of funding, which you should realise happens here often). He finally did find one but it took him a year. Many of the on-call nannies have degrees, multiple languages, etc. The ones who come on LCP tend to be from third-world countries who are desperate for a better life.

What I'm trying to say is - be open minded. This is not the UK, and $10 an hour is what a lot of people have to live on. There are no separate minimum wages for jobs - i don't know why you'd assume that? I suspect this is a much more cut-throat society than you're used to.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jan 2nd 2014 at 8:53 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:50 am
Banned

Happy to take a pay cut with what I am earning equivalent in UK but I am looking around $15 an hour which is what child care workers/ residential care workers pay according to jobs advertised in craigslist.

It's not so much about the money I just don't know if I could be a nanny/au pair.

How easily can people generally get by on $10.25 an hour?
It would be very difficult to get by on the minimum wage, particularly in Vancouver.

Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:57 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
One of our nannies was educated to Masters level in child development and education. He had an impressive background. He was working as a nanny while he tried to find that elusive real job (laid off from old job - due to loss of funding, which you should realise happens here often). He finally did find one but it took him a year. Many of the on-call nannies have degrees, multiple languages, etc. The ones who come on LCP tend to be from third-world countries who are desperate for a better life.

What I'm trying to say is - be open minded. This is not the UK, and $10 an hour is what a lot of people have to live on. There are no separate minimum wages for jobs - i don't know why you'd assume that? I suspect this is a much more cut-throat society than you're used to.
I assumed there were different minimum wages for jobs and I didn't say there was. ( which there is in the links above for servers in alcohol). That is why I come on here to get information and sometimes I will 'assume' - no harm in that until I get a concrete answer.

I have a degree but it is unrelated but I have experience in my field and a lot of professional training. Happy to to on call/part time work and work upwards.

And yes this does sounds like a more cut throat industry than the UK, care jobs are easy to find here providing you have a good CV/ resume and references and no criminal record.

So yes I am worried and I've got to look at all my options because if I can't find a job after 3 months I will have to leave and return to the UK. I am trying to be open-minded but there a certain professions I would rather do first.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:59 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It would be very difficult to get by on the minimum wage, particularly in Vancouver.

What I thought
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:59 am

well, good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.