Wikiposts

self employed work experience

Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

coal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura aboutcoal has a spectacular aura about
Default self employed work experience

hello all. good to come across this excellent website and to browse through the discussions. Good to know there are many of us sharing this long process.

I am currently gathering documents for a skilled worker application through London. I am a self employed television editor and have been freelance for seven years. This job is on the NOC list. I have contacted about 90% of my previous employers (production companies) who have provided letters of reference and personal references on letter head paper. I also have 18 contracts from some productions which I have had notarised (I do not always get contracts so I am providing what I have). Together with tax returns, invoices, bank statements showing wages payments and publicity material, I feel I am providing a good picture of my freelance work. I also have a reference letter for a company I was employed by as an assistant editor for 18 months before I went freelance (not on the NOC list).

My questions are:
Do I have enough evidence of work experience to submit my application with the above or do I need to contact the remaining 10% of the companies I have worked for, some of which early on would only have been for a few days work?

The period I will have covered is 9 years. Is this enough? How far back do you go for "previous employers"? I have heard anything beyond 10 years doesn't count.

Any thoughts or similar experiences would be appreciated, especially anyone who has got a PR visa with self employed work experince.

Cheers, coal