Self employed visa?

Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self employed visa?

Never mind, I found what I was looking for.

I had a feeling it was two years experience.

I've just started looking at visa's again and I stumbled across the self employed visa and I think I qualify for it but I'm not 100% certain.

I think I fit into the Technical and Skilled Occupations in Art, Culture, Recreation and Sport specifically the 5227 Support Occupations in Motion Pictures, Broadcasting and the Performing Arts catergory.

And I meet the requirements on points:

education: 20 points, age 10 points and language 16 points.

I got my degree in film and television production and have done an internship with a film company (one in Canada) as a production assistant but I have no examples of paid work and the experience I do have lasted for 4 months.

Would that mean I dont actually fit into that catergory? is there a minimum requirement for time spent in employment?

Last edited by stubby42; Jan 27th 2010 at 12:09 am.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of
Default Re: Self employed visa?

Hi - I'm pretty sure that I read on the Canada immigration website that it was 2 years for self employment too.

I can't remember what points you get for length of time spent in employment but you can do a self assessment thing on the official site that shows you how many points you'd get. Having a job offer really seems to bump up your points total though.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:34 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

It might be worth noting that you can apply for a temporary work permit to be self employed too. Mine was issued for 3yrs, during which I applied for PR separately.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:39 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by R I C H
It might be worth noting that you can apply for a temporary work permit to be self employed too. Mine was issued for 3yrs, during which I applied for PR separately.
But you know R.I.C.H. you are the only one who that I know has ever got one for self employed. From the FW1 Manual

Where a person has applied for a work permit to operate a business or be self-employed simultaneously with submitting an application for permanent residence, they must also meet the requirements of R205(a). It is expected that it would be a rare applicant who could satisfy an officer that their entry into Canada would provide a significant benefit before their eligibility for
permanent residence has been assessed
."
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Wolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud ofWolfie and Will has much to be proud of

we are applying on this route and our understanding of it is that you have to have

a)been self-employed for a minimum of two years
b) worked at a world-class level for a min of two years
c) one year of a) and one year of b)

During those times you have to have been working (not training) and although it doesn't say anything about having to have worked full-time continuously for the two years (many self-employed artists don't anyway), I expect you need to satisfy an immigration officer that you are able to support yourself in your own country before they will let you attempt self-employment in another.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:34 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

But you know R.I.C.H. you are the only one who that I know has ever got one for self employed. From the FW1 Manual

Where a person has applied for a work permit to operate a business or be self-employed simultaneously with submitting an application for permanent residence, they must also meet the requirements of R205(a). It is expected that it would be a rare applicant who could satisfy an officer that their entry into Canada would provide a significant benefit before their eligibility for permanent residence has been assessed."
I agree that maybe it's not the usual way of doing things, but it's at least an option to consider.

TBH, the level of proof required to deliver 'significant benefit' wasn't that onerous, and I was starting a business in which I had no previous experience or track record. I'd not even been self employed previously.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:51 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I agree that maybe it's not the usual way of doing things, but it's at least an option to consider.

TBH, the level of proof required to deliver 'significant benefit' wasn't that onerous, and I was starting a business in which I had no previous experience or track record. I'd not even been self employed previously.
"significant benefit" can have a lot to do with where you are moving to. If you are moving to a small town without a huge economy and planning to start a business that will employ locals and have close support from the region's economic development agency that can easily meet the definition.

If you're moving to Vancouver it is going to be pretty hard to establish.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 9:17 am
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
"significant benefit" can have a lot to do with where you are moving to. If you are moving to a small town without a huge economy and planning to start a business that will employ locals and have close support from the region's economic development agency that can easily meet the definition.

If you're moving to Vancouver it is going to be pretty hard to establish.
Yes, I agree - I couldn't have afforded the cost of land in somewhere with a larger/pricier economy than Kamloops (pop. c100,000)

Noteworthy is the fact that I didn't create employment (other than contract/casual work), nor was there a local development agency that provided close support.