Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Self-Employed Programmer / Contract In USA / Work In Canada

Self-Employed Programmer / Contract In USA / Work In Canada

Old Jun 16th 2011, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

frednaughty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self-Employed Programmer / Contract In USA / Work In Canada

Hi All,

This forum is an excellent resource - thank you all very much.

I am self-employed in the UK as a software developer. I have a contract with a company in the USA developing specialized tax software. They transfer my pay to my UK account and I pay taxes here in the UK.

Could I go to Canada and continue working in this capacity on a visitor permit? My pay would continue to deposit into my account in the UK and I would continue to pay taxes in the UK.

My partner and I are applying for PR as a common-law couple and I would like to go to Canada with her while the application is processing.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self-Employed Programmer / Contract In USA / Work In Canada

My guess is that it's fine, as you're not taking a job from a Canadian, but I would suggest you check with an immigration lawyer - you don't want to screw up your PR application by doing something you shouldn't be.

Or could you not just wait in the UK until you get PR as it doesn't take long? Not sure if that's an option though.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

frednaughty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self-Employed Programmer / Contract In USA / Work In Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
My guess is that it's fine, as you're not taking a job from a Canadian, but I would suggest you check with an immigration lawyer - you don't want to screw up your PR application by doing something you shouldn't be.

Or could you not just wait in the UK until you get PR as it doesn't take long? Not sure if that's an option though.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome, christmasoompa. I will take your advice and give an immigration lawyer a call and post back with my findings .