Self Employed Plumber

Old May 10th 2011, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

borgman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self Employed Plumber

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
How are you going to work as a fully qualified plumber without actually having any plumbing qualification?!? As PMM said, CIC won't believe you have been working as a full-time qualified plumber if you don't actually have the requisite qualification, so you'd need to do the apprenticeship first - you're looking at around 5 years before you can apply as a plumber and by then the rules for FSW will probably have changed beyond all recognition!
Hello christmasoompa,

To work as a plumber here you need to be qualified as you point out. Which means at the minimum first getting your City & Guilds Level 2, this is done at college either full time (2.5 days per week which takes one year) or part time day release or nights which takes 2 years. You can do this along side any existing job or whilst being employed as an apprentice. From there you get your NVQ which can take a few weeks depending on the jobs you get stuck into, at that point you are fully qualified.
To do an apprenticeship is not a root open to many apart from 16 year olds judging by the lads on my course because the employers pay a pittance £2.50 per hour (I kid you not!)
Therefore it seems reasonable that older people go to college get the qualification, get a job for a year and apply, whats wrong with that?
R
Old May 11th 2011, 5:42 am
Just Joined

r00Perth Murderck is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree to borgman, the major reason is to get 1 year of experience to pass FSW 29 list, forget about what gonna be after that!
Old May 11th 2011, 9:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r00Perth Murderck
Agree to borgman, the major reason is to get 1 year of experience to pass FSW 29 list, forget about what gonna be after that!
But are you actually qualified as a plumber? If not, you've got to do so first before you can even start the one year work experience requirement. That's the point people are trying to make!
Old May 11th 2011, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

borgman is an unknown quantity at this point

But are you actually qualified as a plumber? If not, you've got to do so first before you can even start the one year work experience requirement. That's the point people are trying to make!
Thats right, you have to do the course as described 1 year full time or 2 years part time then get a job as a plumber for a year first, then if (and I hope it is ) that Plumber is still on the LIST apply for immigration as planned. So in reality its at least 2 years possibly 3 before you can apply.
R
Old May 11th 2011, 10:24 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Good job you are already in a darkened room, christmasoompa.
Have you got some Aspirin in there? I think this will bring on a migraine.......
Old May 12th 2011, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

I really don't know how you can be classed as a qualified plumber after one year?

I looked into the City and Guilds training and it is not very comprehensive and neither is the NVQ, which is why I chose not to train in the UK and here in Canada as I'm going down the apprentice route...
Old May 12th 2011, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Nop, there is a lot of training courses 1-2 months as background requires only basic education.
Old May 12th 2011, 5:19 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

just in case my learned friends have caved their heads in banging them against brick walls - allow me to put it even more simply.

You have to be a qualified plumber with 1 years experience.

CIC will not accept you as a qualified plumber by doing a couple of night classes.

Canadians are not stupid, CIC are even more not stupid than that.

No-one cares what you want to do when (if) you get here, you could be a lapdancing pig impersonator for all we care. (It would probably be easier than trying to convince CIC you are a qualified plumber)
Old May 12th 2011, 5:53 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Nop, there is a lot of training courses 1-2 months as background requires only basic education.
But you have a University degree, don't you? Why not aim higher?
There are other 'in demand' list job categories.
How about dentist?
I believe you can do a fortnight at night school and Bob's your uncle
Old May 12th 2011, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helcat12
But you have a University degree, don't you? Why not aim higher?
There are other 'in demand' list job categories.
How about dentist?
I believe you can do a fortnight at night school and Bob's your uncle
hmm, good idea, but I like humans and can't hurt'em
Old May 12th 2011, 9:17 am
Island life at last

hmm, good idea, but I like humans and can't hurt'em
I like you. You are funny
Old May 12th 2011, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helcat12
I like you. You are funny
sense of humor is an essential to survive if u living in russia.
Old May 18th 2011, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

riccosuabe is an unknown quantity at this point

to clarify what everyone seems to be getting confused about.

you only need one year of plumbing work full time to pass the fsw.

to actually work in canada as a plumber is a different story as you need roughly seven years experience to get the red seal thats not including any form of being an apprentice (absurd if you ask me as most modern Apprenticeships are 4 years and most start at 17 so all in all to be a qualified plumber in canada you need to be at the minimum 28 years old and have 11 years experience???? crazy!!).
this is yet another flaw in the system.

i have been a plumber for 2 years and it took me a year to gain my qualification through night school.so all in all 3 years.i checked with numerous immigration consultants at the seminars at glasgow last year and i would pass the fsw criteria but actually getting work once ive landed would be a totally different thing all together.and whoever mentioned you couldnt become a decent tradesman after a year is absurd.ive done this job for over 2 years on my own and never come across a problem i couldnt solve on the job even on advanced heating systems and i know plenty of "time served" tradesman that dont know a spanner from a hammer who drink more cups of tea than do a decent job so dont believe the hype.so yes if you have a proven year of full time experience as a plumber you can apply for fsw,but dont expect to get work in that field once your out there

Last edited by riccosuabe; May 18th 2011 at 3:30 pm.
Old May 18th 2011, 3:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riccosuabe
to clarify what everyone seems to be getting confused about.

you only need one year of plumbing work full time to pass the fsw.

to actually work in canada as a plumber is a different story as you need roughly seven years experience to get the red seal thats not including any form of being an apprentice (absurd if you ask me as most modern Apprenticeships are 4 years and most start at 17 so all in all to be a qualified plumber in canada you need to be at the minimum 28 years old and have 11 years experience???? crazy!!).
this is yet another flaw in the system.

i have been a plumber for 2 years and it took me a year to gain my qualification through night school.so all in all 3 years.i checked with numerous immigration consultants at the seminars at glasgow last year and i would pass the fsw criteria but actually getting work once ive landed would be a totally different thing all together.and whoever mentioned you couldnt become a decent tradesman after a year is absurd.ive done this job for over 2 years on my own and never come across a problem i couldnt solve on the job even on advanced heating systems and i know plenty of "time served" tradesman that dont know a spanner from a hammer who drink more cups of tea than do a decent job so dont believe the hype.so yes if you have a proven year of full time experience as a plumber you can apply for fsw,but dont expect to get work in that field once your out there
I don't think anybody was confused about any of that - the question was whether or not CIC would accept somebody under the FSW program as a plumber if they had the year's work experience, but no plumbing qualification.
Old May 18th 2011, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

riccosuabe is an unknown quantity at this point

they wouldnt with no qualification but they can be qualified in a year here (less if they do a fast track course)then if you do one year of work on top of that then yes they would qualify.i hope people dont think they can beat the system by just doing a plumbing course then applying after a year as they will have to prove they have been working full time.at the very least they will have to prove they are a registered company and if they are registered then there gonna pay have to pay tax.ive always been self employed and im starting to scrape together every document ive ever had regarding my plumbing business for the fsw form,so to the original poster i would get as much work as you can and keep everything from your business (even receipts etc) a your gonna have to prove yourself to pass for a plumber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.