Self Employed Plumber

Old May 9th 2011, 4:37 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Employed Plumber

On other threads and forums I have seen, there is evidence of a great deal of querying done by CIC when they receive applications from those who are claiming they have been in an 'in demand' job category as a self employed person. You can understand why, really, as it could just be playing the system and that is not what they are looking for. If they say they want plumbers, then they want plumbers who are going to go to Canada and when they get there plumb for a living! (If that is the right way to phrase it!)
I know that the self-employed applicant gets high level scrutiny and if you are only doing a few jobs, then they will not accept that as 1 years experience in the job category.
I would advise anyone to be prepared for a lot of questions and have a lot of paperwork to support your case if you wish to apply by the FSW Cat 1 route as self employed, either as a plumber or anything else.
Old May 9th 2011, 4:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r00Perth Murderck
if one year of exp is enough, that's all I need.
Well yes, you need one year of full-time experience as a fully qualified plumber (along with proof of that experience, qualifications etc of course!), but I was referring to the Red Seal that you need 7000 hrs (I think - off the top of my head) for. If you do a quick search of the forum you'll find more info on this.
Old May 10th 2011, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

To do the red seal you need 9600 hours but if you look in northern BC where it's super cold you might find a employer
Old May 10th 2011, 3:35 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

if one year of exp is enough, that's all I need.

Not quite, to be consider as a plumber NOC 7251 you must meet the following:

Completion of secondary school is usually required.

Completion of a four- to five-year apprenticeship program
or
A combination of over five years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in plumbing is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.

After 1 year, CHC won't see you as a plumber.
Old May 10th 2011, 11:49 am
Just Joined

r00Perth Murderck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

or
A combination of over five years of work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry courses in plumbing is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.

Actually I am graduated from university, have bachelor degree, last 6 years unix developer. Is it enough to be a plumber in .ca?
Old May 10th 2011, 12:42 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I am graduated from university, have bachelor degree, last 6 years unix developer. Is it enough to be a plumber in .ca?
I hope the indicates that you are joking, but just in case it doesn't the answer is no, your degree will not help you to be accepted via FSW Cat 1 as a plumber.
Your University degree will give you more points for the Education part of the application. Your six years in IT will contribute points to your application as Work Experience (for which they do not care which business you have been in), but you will not be able to apply as a plumber unless you have the plumbing experience and training other posters have described.
Old May 10th 2011, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

borgman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

or

Hi PMM,

I think thats just for 'trade certification'?
The previous replies to yours do say that it seems thats all thats required to apply as a plumber is one years experience.
R
Old May 10th 2011, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by borgman
Hi PMM,

I think thats just for 'trade certification'?
The previous replies to yours do say that it seems thats all thats required to apply as a plumber is one years experience.
R
But to be a plumber in canada you need the red seal which you have to have done 9600 hours to be able to challegne in the exam
Old May 10th 2011, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hutchy100
But to be a plumber in canada you need the red seal which you have to have done 9600 hours to be able to challegne in the exam
Red Seal need to work in Canada if you already have PR. We are talking about application to get PR.
Old May 10th 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

borgman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I agree with you, it seems to become a fully qualified plumber (journeyman) you would need to pass the Red Seal but just to apply I think all you need is a years full time experience. When you get there you can do whatever job you want as has been pointed out before.

R
Old May 10th 2011, 3:53 pm
Island life at last

I think that maybe the posters do not realise that some trades are regulated in Canada and that their requirements are in addition to the basic requirements for the Immigration process.
The Immigration process for Cat 1 stipulates that you need to have 1 years experience in one of the jobs on the in demand list.
In addition, some of the professions require particular training and certification in Canada.
So for specific occupations, there are requirements that must be met to even be recognised as the job category from the list in the first place, then you will have to fulfil the other immigration requirements.
From the other angle, it is not enough just to be a plumber - you must also get 67 points or over to be eligible to apply. So, the occupational requirements and the immigration requirements must both be met to apply via FSW Cat 1. One part without the other is no good.The CIC website has all the details about the NOC categories and the FSW eligibility criteria for you to check.
Once you have arrived as PR, there is no necessity for you to actually work in the job category which you applied under. Anything required to work in a regulated profession, such as Red Seal, will need to be fulfilled before you are allowed to work in that job. If you suddenly decide to be something else or go back to a previous line of work, there is nothing to stop you.
Hope that helps to clear up any confusion
Old May 10th 2011, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helcat12
Once you have arrived as PR, there is no necessity for you to actually work in the job category which you applied under. Anything required to work in a regulated profession, such as Red Seal, will need to be fulfilled before you are allowed to work in that job. If you suddenly decide to be something else or go back to a previous line of work, there is nothing to stop you.
Hope that helps to clear up any confusion
Bingo! One year of plumbering is the key for the door named FSW. What do u think, is it real way?
Old May 10th 2011, 4:13 pm
Island life at last

Bingo! One year of plumbering is the key for the door named FSW. What do u think, is it real way?
What if it isn't on the list by the time you are ready to apply?
My husband's past career used to be on the list until two years ago and then they removed it, so as his current career wasn't on the list, he had to get a job in Canada, get LMO and apply as Cat 2.
Last June several other job categories were removed from the list.
This happens without any notice and there are even rumours that CIC are going to phase out FSW Cat 1 list altogether at some point.
If you don't actually want to be a plumber, why not just get over to Canada and get a job? It isn't easy, but at least it is faster and more secure than taking a chance on training for a career that might get wiped off the list before you even get a chance to apply.
My husband did it when his job category was removed and so have other applicants, so why not you?
Old May 10th 2011, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by helcat12
What if it isn't on the list by the time you are ready to apply?
Well, plumber is a fundamental and essential job since homo became sapiens. Humans may tolerate without electricity, starve a little bit, but! They never, never will tolerate a ****!

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 10th 2011 at 7:06 pm. Reason: Pls don't swear - rule 2
Old May 10th 2011, 7:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How are you going to work as a fully qualified plumber without actually having any plumbing qualification?!? As PMM said, CIC won't believe you have been working as a full-time qualified plumber if you don't actually have the requisite qualification, so you'd need to do the apprenticeship first - you're looking at around 5 years before you can apply as a plumber and by then the rules for FSW will probably have changed beyond all recognition!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.