self-employed

Old Jun 19th 2004, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

jdam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default self-employed

I always thought that the "self-employed" class was exclusively for farmers. But looks like one can be self-employed in other specific areas too.
Just wondering, I'm a licenced jeweller/designer/craftsman and was self-employed in that line of work for the last 15 years.
Can I proceed in the "self-eployment" class ?
Old Jun 19th 2004, 4:21 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: self-employed

It is impossible to say without detailed evaluation of your case. Basic self-employed class criteria are described here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/self-1.html

Please pay attention to Regulatory Requirements first - meeting such is a pre-requisite.

If you are a jeweler and are self-employed as jeweler (making jewelry) then it will be quite hard (if not impossible) to meet regulatory requirements. But if you are self-employed as jewelry designer and sell your designs (not jewelry made by you) then there may be a chance.

Note that self-employed class is the hardest to qualify in and to conclusively prove.

But again - impossible to say based on info you provided. Please contact me directly for free evaluation.

Originally posted by jdam
I always thought that the "self-employed" class was exclusively for farmers. But looks like one can be self-employed in other specific areas too.
Just wondering, I'm a licenced jeweller/designer/craftsman and was self-employed in that line of work for the last 15 years.
Can I proceed in the "self-eployment" class ?