Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Self assessment says not eligible for fsw? Also can I apply for visa before nurse reg

Self assessment says not eligible for fsw? Also can I apply for visa before nurse reg

Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Kara81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self assessment says not eligible for fsw? Also can I apply for visa before nurse reg

Hi all, my family and I are beginning the visa process to immigrate to canada, I have completed the online self assessment questionnaire however it is coming back that unfortunately I am not eligible to apply for a PR visa, I have counted the points myself and seem to get the 67points, would be grateful for any advice.

I am 27 years old (married before 22, which I saw was a question, does that make a difference?)
I am a registered Nurse, have completed my 3 year diploma (currently completing a degree course to upgrade to BSc level nursing but wish to apply for visa before that is completed in October 2015.
I have 6 years full time work experience as an RN in the UK.
I have completed my Ielts with a score of 7.5 in all categories except listening with a score of 8. Therefore I have assumed I have high proficiency?
We have no family in canada and no candian education.

Is there an obvious reason why I do not qualify for a PR visa?

Am I correct in saying that applying via the FSW route gives PR status?

If I have miscalculated something and I am Eligible to apply for a PR visa via the FSW route can I apply for the visa before gaining nurse registration? Our intention is to move to ontario, I am aware that my degree is required to nurse in Ontario and therefore do not wish to apply to CNO before my degree is complete in October 2015. I am also aware that CNO registration is a long process with updates to hours in certain modules on my behalf very likely.

Thankyou.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self assessment says not eligible for fsw? Also can I apply for visa before nurse

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Kara81

I am 27 years old (married before 22, which I saw was a question, does that make a difference?)
I am a registered Nurse, have completed my 3 year diploma (currently completing a degree course to upgrade to BSc level nursing but wish to apply for visa before that is completed in October 2015.
I have 6 years full time work experience as an RN in the UK.
I have completed my Ielts with a score of 7.5 in all categories except listening with a score of 8. Therefore I have assumed I have high proficiency?
We have no family in canada and no candian education.

Is there an obvious reason why I do not qualify for a PR visa?
So, according to my calculations you'd score 24 for your English ability, 12 for your age, 21 points for education, and 15 for experience = 72 points.

If I've calculated that correctly, you have enough points to apply as FSW. But how have you got 67 points, can you break your calculations down so that we can see why they differ? It's easy to make a mistake on it, it's too early for me and I've not had a coffee yet and just completely miscalculated your points and had to do them again!! But if you can give us your points calculation then hopefully we can figure out why it's saying you're not eligible. Also, what is your NOC code, are you a RGN?

Am I correct in saying that applying via the FSW route gives PR status?
Yes.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 17th 2014 at 7:18 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Self assessment says not eligible for fsw? Also can I apply for visa before nurse

Hi thankyou for the quick reply!

Yes I am a registered Nurse therefore will be code 3012.

I am now getting 72points the same as you by using the official cic website. The 67 came from an online calculator which I will disregard as it was not an official site.

The discrepancy I'm getting is when I fill in this online assessment it says unfortunately I am not eligible, its likely that I am selecting an option wrong as I am getting enough points when I count it up myself. This is the assessment I am using
Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?

Lastly I am aware to practice as an RN in ontario I am required to have my degree which is why I am studying part time to upgrade my diploma to this level whilst still in the UK. Can you advise if I am required to have my degree when applying for the visa if applying under the RN category 3012. I am not sure I do as I am aware there is a couple of provinces which allow UK diploma nurses to practice as an RN without their degree, Therefore the diploma should be sufficient enough to apply for the visa and my degree will be complete when applying for nurse registration?

With the many changes that happen with the visa process I would much rather get my application in ASAP with the diploma and not wait until my degree is complete.

Thankyou again.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The discrepancy I'm getting is when I fill in this online assessment it says unfortunately I am not eligible, its likely that I am selecting an option wrong as I am getting enough points when I count it up myself. This is the assessment I am using
Do you want to come to Canada, or extend your stay?
That's really odd, are you answering no to any of the other questions i.e. about funds or similar? If it's saying you're not eligible then there must be a reason for that and I'd hate for you to spend money on an application only for it to be rejected.

Can you advise if I am required to have my degree when applying for the visa if applying under the RN category 3012. I am not sure I do as I am aware there is a couple of provinces which allow UK diploma nurses to practice as an RN without their degree, Therefore the diploma should be sufficient enough to apply for the visa and my degree will be complete when applying for nurse registration?
No, you don't need a degree to apply.

HTH.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou for the help.

I've no idea what I'm doing wrong with the self assessment, these are my answers, there is nothing in this confidential or that could identify me so I don't mind posting them however if it's not allowed within the rules then please delete.Thankyou again.

What would you like to do in Canada? Move there
How long are you planning to stay in Canada? Permanently
What is the country of nationality of your passport? UK
What is your current country of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada. SCOTLAND
Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older? NO
What is your date of birth? I am 27
Are you a permanent resident of the United States and have your alien registration card (Green Card) or other proof of permanent residence? NO
Do you have a written offer from an employer in canada? NO
What is your estimated net worth (in Canadian dollars)? less than 300'000
Do you plan to own or operate a farm in Canada? NO
Do you plan to be self-employed in sports or cultural activities? NO
How much full time (or equivalent to full time) skilled work experience do you have? More than 6 months.
How much full time (or equivalent to full time) skilled work experience do you have in Canada? None
Does your occupation fall under one of these groups? NO
Major Group 72 - industrial, electrical and construction trades
Major Group 73 - maintenance and equipment operation trades
Major Group 82 - supervisors and technical occupations in natural resources, agriculture and relation production
Major Group 92 - processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
Minor Group 632 - chefs and cooks
Minor Group 633 - butchers and bakers

Does your occupation fall under one of the following? YES (deleted all options for post)
3012 Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses

Are you enrolled in, or have you recently completed a Ph. D. program in Canada? NO
Do you have a letter of support from a designated entity (angel investor group or venture capital fund)? NO

High proficiency in all first language questions, no proficiency in second.

What is your highest level of education? Bachelors level or three years post secondary credential.
Do you have a completed Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational credential OR a completed foreign educational credential AND an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report issued by an organization designated by CIC if your educational credential was obtained outside Canada? YES
Have you studied in Canada? NO
Do you (or your spouse or common-law partner, if you have one) have family in Canada? NO

Within the last five years, how many years of business experience do you have? Didn't really understand this and it gave no Option for none so I selected 5 years?
What is your current marital status? MARRIED
What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time. ONTARIO
Did you get married, or begin a common law relationship before your 22nd birthday? YES (why is this asked)

Last edited by Kara81; Jun 17th 2014 at 9:27 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Sorry to bump this just wondering if anyone can tell me where I may have gone wrong on the self assessment on the cic site (above post) I've been trying it all day and can't understand why my points add up but when I complete the self assessment it says not eligible?!

Thankyou
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:35 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What is your current country of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada. SCOTLAND
Maybe Scotland isn't in the database? Try UK.

What is your estimated net worth (in Canadian dollars)? less than 300'000
If that was exactly what you typed the software might have read it as 300.
Check typing.

How much full time (or equivalent to full time) skilled work experience do you have? More than 6 months.
Again, check where the typo is: you said 6 years earlier.

Did you get married, or begin a common law relationship before your 22nd birthday? YES (why is this asked)
That'll be for dependents of PR applicants, not applicable in your case.

HTH
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:40 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Maybe Scotland isn't in the database? Try UK.

If that was exactly what you typed the software might have read it as 300.
Check typing.

Again, check where the typo is: you said 6 years earlier.

That'll be for dependents of PR applicants, not applicable in your case.

HTH
Yeah I can't imagine 6 months work experience getting you any points thus meaning you do not meet the criteria.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:50 am
Just Joined

No I didn't type these answers (ive typed them for the purpose of this post) the answers are selected from a drop down menu. The options for work experience were , none, less than 6 months or more than 6 months, I was surprised by that myself.
Again country if residence UK was not listed, only England, Scotland etc

I must just be selecting an option wrong somewhere as I've gone over the points calculations all day and I can't see why I don't qualify.

Thanks for the input.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 8:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No I didn't type these answers (ive typed them for the purpose of this post) the answers are selected from a drop down menu. The options for work experience were , none, less than 6 months or more than 6 months, I was surprised by that myself.
Again country if residence UK was not listed, only England, Scotland etc

I must just be selecting an option wrong somewhere as I've gone over the points calculations all day and I can't see why I don't qualify.

Thanks for the input.
You're welcome. Good luck in figuring it out.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 9:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I can't understand it either, the only thing I can suggest is that you contact an immigration lawyer to check your case over and see if you do qualify.

As an aside, I'd appreciate it if you'd re-read the Site Rules, particularly no. 13.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 7:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I have used the Come to Canada wizard a few times of late, inputting various scenarios that 'should' result in a "yes, you qualify to apply for PR" but have all resulted in 'no, you do not qualify'.

I suspect there is a fault on it.

Old Sep 8th 2014, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Confused 26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Siouxi, I have the same problem. Have you figured it out?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 1:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Confused 26
Hi Siouxi, I have the same problem. Have you figured it out?
There is a fault on the wizard at the mo - several threads on the subject.

HTH.