Wikiposts

Seeking Some Advice

Old May 13th 2017, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

MarkS28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeking Some Advice

I've been reading through various threads on the forum which has been helpful for bits and pieces of information but haven't found a scenario exactly as mine. I'll start with a little background info.

My girlfriend and I are living and working in Canada on the IEC. Her permit is set to expire at the end of June, mine not until November. We are trying to apply for Express Entry (her profile, myself as common law) and it seems like we do have enough points to qualify. I should also add that she has a positive LMIA from her employer. We are just waiting on the education assessment through the company WES before submitting. This should be done well before her IEC expires and we would expect an invitation to apply soon after.

So, what i'd like to know is, can she apply for any kind of permit to enable her to work until an Express Entry decision is made or would she need to change to visitor status? It is my understanding that you cannot have implied status from the IEC but unsure if having the LMIA or applying for a new permit altogether would allow her to keep working.

I don't think this is relevant but I will include it in case, we will be out of the country for a couple of weeks close to the IEC expiry date, returning 10 days prior to it expiring.

Any kind of help and advice would be much appreciated. If she has to stop working then so be it, just don't want to break any rules and jeopardise the PR.

Last edited by MarkS28; May 13th 2017 at 4:55 am.
Old May 13th 2017, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking Some Advice

If she has a positive LMIA then she would be getting a new work permit based on that.
What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
Old May 13th 2017, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If she has a positive LMIA then she would be getting a new work permit based on that.
What is a Labour Market Impact Assessment?
So when we re-enter Canada, we show the border officer the LMIA and they won't have a problem allowing her to continue working? Or is the new permit you speak of similar to a bridging visa we must apply for beforehand until Express Entry is finalised?

Last edited by MarkS28; May 13th 2017 at 6:04 am.
Old May 13th 2017, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkS28
So when we re-enter Canada, we show the border officer the LMIA and they won't have a problem allowing her to continue working? Or is the new permit you speak of similar to a bridging visa we must apply for beforehand until Express Entry is finalised?
Is the current work permit she is on issued under the IEC?
A LMIA basically means that an employer has paid the $1000 to hire a foreign worker and has been issued a positive LMIA by ESDC. To get the work permit at the POE she will have to produce the LMIA and other related documents as shown in the link to get a new work permit.
Old May 13th 2017, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Is the current work permit she is on issued under the IEC?
A LMIA basically means that an employer has paid the $1000 to hire a foreign worker and has been issued a positive LMIA by ESDC. To get the work permit at the POE she will have to produce the LMIA and other related documents as shown in the link to get a new work permit.
Yes, she's currently on the IEC permit.

I appreciate your information. If i'm understanding you correctly, we will take the documents noted in the link you posted to the border officer upon re-entering the country, she will be issued a new permit there to enable her to continue working then all going to plan will receive the PR through the Express Entry program later in the year.
Old May 13th 2017, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MarkS28
Yes, she's currently on the IEC permit.

I appreciate your information. If i'm understanding you correctly, we will take the documents noted in the link you posted to the border officer upon re-entering the country, she will be issued a new permit there to enable her to continue working then all going to plan will receive the PR through the Express Entry program later in the year.
Correct.