Seeking Knowledge

Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Erasedbliss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeking Knowledge

Hi everyone,
Im a little stuck with what my options are so hopefully someone can help.
currently i have moved to canada with my family and our PR application is in progress, however im having a hard time finding out my options regarding my girlfriend, we are quite serious and we had decided before i came out here that she would want to join me as soon as possible, she doesnt have many options regarding skilled work so i think that one is out of the question as for her applying on her own, just wondering if anyone had any info on a solution as to which way to head with this as far as i can tell marrige being one of them which could be an option as we have talked about it, but im also wondering would that be much hassle to apply as a newly married couple im not sure if there would be restriction, like having to be married for a certain amount of time for example, anyway any help or enlightenment anyone could offer would be great
many thanks
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:07 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking Knowledge

Hi, Erasedbliss, and welcome to the forum.

From the information you have provided, it's a bit tough to figure out your full story.

When you say you moved to Canada with your "family," I take that to mean your parents (my apologies if I've got that wrong). I'm guessing that your mother or father came to Canada on a temporary work permit, and you accompanied him/her as a dependent.

My understanding is that only a permanent resident (PR) or Canadian citizen can sponsor their spouse or common law partner. So you would have to wait till you were a PR before you could sponsor your girlfriend.

These issues were discussed in a previous thread entitled Advice needed re spousal application.

If your girlfriend is a British citizen under the age of 30, I think a temporary (12-month) solution would be for her to come to Canada on a working holiday visa through BUNAC.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Erasedbliss is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seeking Knowledge

yeh i came with my parents, and we have send all of our PR paperwork off so i just wondered what my options were, thanks alot for the info thats the kinda thing i thought i might be looking at so much appreciated, ive had to apply on my own because im 22 so i dont know if that affects things in any way