Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Seeking clarification on 'business application' options

Seeking clarification on 'business application' options

Old Jun 24th 2004, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Bluespace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeking clarification on 'business application' options

Hi

It's early days, but I'm looking to apply to emigrate to Canada.

Should I apply under 'self employed', could someone please advise me what 'cultural activities' covers as I'm unsure whether I'd qualify under this banner.

The 'Entrepeneur' option looks more suitable for me. I'm looking to buy into a business in Ontario, but I'd like to know if the business must be in place when I apply. If "not" will the authorities accept my intention to buy into a business if my 'networth' meets the entry criteria.

Many thanks
Steve
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

dave_topley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seeking clarification on 'business application' options

Originally posted by Bluespace
Hi

Should I apply under 'self employed', could someone please advise me what 'cultural activities' covers as I'm unsure whether I'd qualify under this banner.

The 'Entrepeneur' option looks more suitable for me. I'm looking to buy into a business in Ontario, but I'd like to know if the business must be in place when I apply. If "not" will the authorities accept my intention to buy into a business if my 'networth' meets the entry criteria.

Many thanks
Steve
Hi Steve,

We've applied under the 'Entrepreneur' route. You do not need to have a business in place when you apply - indeed it is difficult to register a Canadian business without a canadian director on the board! You are expected to qualify for this route as per the cic site and then undertake to set up a business and meet certain criteria within three years of landing. The details can all be found on http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/entrep-1.html

It will take a while though - current timelines seem to be about the same as the skilled worker route - minimum 12 months in UK throough London CHC.

Regards
Dave and Trish
Old Jun 24th 2004, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Dave & Trish

Your answer cleared my befuddled head.

Mind you, I'm still curious to know what all the "cultural activities" for the self-employed option are.

Steve
Old Jun 24th 2004, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Dave & Trish

Your answer cleared my befuddled head.

Mind you, I'm still curious to know what all the "cultural activities" for the self-employed option are.

Steve
I guess if you're a film star, a golfer, an artist or an author - you might just qualify under 'cultural activities' otherwise you can be a farmer!

Cheers
Dave and Trish
Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Oh well, that's me. hahaha
Old Jun 25th 2004, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Alex and Bob is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh well, that's me. hahaha

You also need to have run a "qualifying" business in the UK for five years.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 2:39 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Not true. One must have meet 2 out or four qualifying business criteria for at lest 2 out of past 5 years.

Originally posted by Alex and Bob
You also need to have run a "qualifying" business in the UK for five years.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Andrew. I'll have to check the 4 qualifying business criteria again. 2 out of 4 for at least 2 out of past 5 years, you say?

Hmm. I've run my own IT Consultancy business for the last 2 years plus. Would that qualify as adequate experience or not?

Originally posted by Andrew Miller
Not true. One must have meet 2 out or four qualifying business criteria for at lest 2 out of past 5 years.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 10:05 pm

Find basis regulatory requirements here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/business/entrep-2.html

scroll down to "qualifying business" criteria to see if your business meets them (at least 2 out of 4 for at least 2 years in past 5 years).

If you were self-employed and without any employees then it may be impossible for you to meet criteria, unless you had rather huge volume in sales and profit.

Reagardless what some may say here any immigration category needs some experience and expertise to apply for without simply plunging into the gamble. Some who gamble and apply on their own are approved, but many who otherwise would be approved are not due to often small mistakes made in the process, especially in Business class. If one has enough money to even think about applying in Business class then why risk sometimes years of processing and processing fees just to "save" few thousands in fee for professional assistance?

Thanks Andrew. I'll have to check the 4 qualifying business criteria again. 2 out of 4 for at least 2 out of past 5 years, you say?

Hmm. I've run my own IT Consultancy business for the last 2 years plus. Would that qualify as adequate experience or not?
Old Jun 26th 2004, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi Again,

The 'Qualifying Business' criteria is:

"a business for which in each of any two years in the period beginning 5 years before the date of application and ending on the date a determination is made in respect of the application, there is documentary proof of any two of the following:

(i) that the percentage of equity multiplied by the number of full
time job equivalents is equal to or greater than 2 full-time job equivalents per year

(ii) that the percentage of equity multiplied by the total annual
sales is equal to or greater than $500,000.

(iii) that the percentage of equity multiplied by the net income
in the year is equal to or greater than $50,000

(iv) that the percentage of equity multiplied by the net assets
at the end of the year is equal to or greater than $125,000"

Hope this helps

Cheers
Dave and Trish
Old Jun 26th 2004, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Dave

In conjuction wth what Andrew was saying, yes that does paint a clearer picture.

On the face of it, I fail to qualify for for this category as I fall in to the self-employed category.

Maybe I should declare my intentions and see if there is another way in.

Although a Database Administrator. I didn't want to apply as a skilled worker. (Would need to have a job set up first anyway and at 53, I wanted to make a change). No, what I wanted to do was buy into a business in Ontario so I could be with my ladyfriend who is a Native Cree. We may well marry along the way but for now, we were looking at buying into an established camping lodge and running it with the help of family in her Band who have the requisite skills.

From what I have heard and read so far, there's no suitable category in which I can apply.

The only other possiblity is that I am a published author. I don't know if that would aid the self-employed route.

Finally, I'll be over there in July/August. Maybe there's someone in Canada I can talk to on this matter.

All the best
Steve

Originally posted by dave_topley
Hi Again,

The 'Qualifying Business' criteria is:

"a business for which in each of any two years in the period beginning 5 years before the date of application and ending on the date a determination is made in respect of the application, there is documentary proof of any two of the following:

(i) that the percentage of equity multiplied by the number of full
time job equivalents is equal to or greater than 2 full-time job equivalents per year

(ii) that the percentage of equity multiplied by the total annual
sales is equal to or greater than $500,000.

(iii) that the percentage of equity multiplied by the net income
in the year is equal to or greater than $50,000

(iv) that the percentage of equity multiplied by the net assets
at the end of the year is equal to or greater than $125,000"

Hope this helps

Cheers
Dave and Trish
Old Jun 26th 2004, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Dave

In conjuction wth what Andrew was saying, yes that does paint a clearer picture.

On the face of it, I fail to qualify for for this category as I fall in to the self-employed category.

Maybe I should declare my intentions and see if there is another way in.

Although a Database Administrator. I didn't want to apply as a skilled worker. (Would need to have a job set up first anyway and at 53, I wanted to make a change). No, what I wanted to do was buy into a business in Ontario so I could be with my ladyfriend who is a Native Cree. We may well marry along the way but for now, we were looking at buying into an established camping lodge and running it with the help of family in her Band who have the requisite skills.

From what I have heard and read so far, there's no suitable category in which I can apply.

The only other possiblity is that I am a published author. I don't know if that would aid the self-employed route.

Finally, I'll be over there in July/August. Maybe there's someone in Canada I can talk to on this matter.

All the best
Steve

Hi Steve,

If you do talk to someone in Canada, may I suggest you use a 'Registered Immigration Consultant' details of which may be found on www.csic-scci.ca. Of course, you could take up Andrew's offer as he is on that list, but I do believe he's based in Vancouver (Andrew please correct me if I'm wrong) - just a little way's away from Ontario I reckon lol.

Of course, if you've got oodles of cash, you could apply through the Investor route (worth $800,000 CDN and 'lend' $400,000 to Canadian Province for 5 years interest free (which, I believe, you could borrow at the appropriate interest rate!)

Good luck

Dave and Trish
Old Jun 27th 2004, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Help! I'm strugglng to find a suitable category

Thanks again Dave and Trish

Yes, I'm sure a registered consultant may well have some invaluable advice at a price. lol. I'm not adverse to paying 'if' I can fit into an application category other than 'skilled workers' that will give me a fair chance of success.

Given yours and Andrew's advice so far, I've changed the thread heading to highlight my problems in finding a suitable category

Here it is.

My fiancee lives in Ontario. She is a student and thus she wouldn't be able to sponsor me in respect of the financial side. So my first question is, would me applying via the family sponsorship route be a waste of time?

However, I was hoping to buy into a business (a camping lodge) within her Native community and thus within the first 3 years there prove we would be self-supporting. (via the Entrepeneur route)

Again, there's a snag as I've only been self-employed in the UK and thus, I don't qualify for 'running a business with one other employee' criteria wise.

It's get harder. lol . Finally, I notice one can apply for a Temporary worker visa if one has a business over there. Maybe I should buy into a business over there first and try this for starters.

What do you think?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

Originally posted by dave_topley
Hi Steve,

If you do talk to someone in Canada, may I suggest you use a 'Registered Immigration Consultant' details of which may be found on www.csic-scci.ca. Of course, you could take up Andrew's offer as he is on that list, but I do believe he's based in Vancouver (Andrew please correct me if I'm wrong) - just a little way's away from Ontario I reckon lol.

Of course, if you've got oodles of cash, you could apply through the Investor route (worth $800,000 CDN and 'lend' $400,000 to Canadian Province for 5 years interest free (which, I believe, you could borrow at the appropriate interest rate!)

Good luck

Dave and Trish
Old Jun 27th 2004, 2:29 pm

Default Re: Help! I'm strugglng to find a suitable category

You may forget work permit on the basis of "having a business here" - you would have a chance only if you would not be self-employed and your company in UK would be sending you to Canada to open a branch or subsidiary. Company in UK would have to continue operations and have employees.

Your best route will be spousal sponsorship - you must get married first though as there in no fiancee category anymore. You may explore if you can qualify as conjugal partners - but this is a tough one and if you are only fiancess living separately by choice then no chance. By choice means that it is you guys who decided for various reasons not to get married and/or not to try to live together as common-law partners. You would have to document trying and have visa refusals, etc. plus document having conjugal (married like) relationship with all aspects of interdependency (emotional, physical, social, financial, etc.).

If you are married then it is simpler - your spouse doesn't need to meet minimum income requirements as long as she can document being able to support financially herself and you.

Now your thread clearly shows that you should have contacted immigration practitioner in Canada in the first place and at least get full evaluation of your chances and possible options. The way you are "shopping around" for information, piece by piece and without disclosing all details of your circumstances will take long time or may not even lead you to any reliable conclusion.

Many reputable and experienced immigration practitioners in Canada (including myself) offer free evaluation.

Thanks again Dave and Trish

Yes, I'm sure a registered consultant may well have some invaluable advice at a price. lol. I'm not adverse to paying 'if' I can fit into an application category other than 'skilled workers' that will give me a fair chance of success.

Given yours and Andrew's advice so far, I've changed the thread heading to highlight my problems in finding a suitable category

Here it is.

My fiancee lives in Ontario. She is a student and thus she wouldn't be able to sponsor me in respect of the financial side. So my first question is, would me applying via the family sponsorship route be a waste of time?

However, I was hoping to buy into a business (a camping lodge) within her Native community and thus within the first 3 years there prove we would be self-supporting. (via the Entrepeneur route)

Again, there's a snag as I've only been self-employed in the UK and thus, I don't qualify for 'running a business with one other employee' criteria wise.

It's get harder. lol . Finally, I notice one can apply for a Temporary worker visa if one has a business over there. Maybe I should buy into a business over there first and try this for starters.

What do you think?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve
Old Jun 27th 2004, 3:19 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Having read all of the comments below it is clear that youshould apply in the skilled worker category. There are many free assessment features on any number of websites including the CICs at www.cic.gc.ca
Jim Humphries, former visa officer
Hi

Many thanks
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.