Seeking advice on marriage

Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:34 am
Account Closed

Ninum88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeking advice on marriage

Hello everyone,

I've been in a relationship with my Canadian partner now for 2 years, i popped the question at a very crowded Niagara Falls and she said yes! Unfortunately I had to return back to the UK to settle debts, sell all unnecessary stuff etc. She's an Ontario native and thats where we would be looking to wed.

I've been reading up on the next steps to take and it seems to me an outland application seems to be the quickest option but Im curious about my working situation, can I work, or apply to work? Or will I have to wait for PR to be granted for that?

Also it takes between 6/7 months for PR from what I've read, can I stay in the country or do I have to come back to England?

Additionally what documentation will I need to take with me? And will I have to notify the UK of any changes in my situations? i.e for student loans.

Im sorry if I haven't been specific enough, if there is anything else you need to know ask me! Just want to make sure the process is as easy as possible with no unwanted surprises

Thanks!
Old Oct 26th 2014, 9:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeking advice on marriage

Firstly, congrats!

You've not actually mentioned, so just checking - you are talking about applying for PR once you're married?!

With an outland app, you can't work until you get PR.

You can leave Canada at any time.

For documentation, you can look at the checklist on the CIC website to see what's required, there's too much to list really!

And yes, you'd need to inform the UK student loan peeps, but you can carry on paying it back from Canada.

HTH, good luck.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:00 am
Account Closed

Oh sorry yes, It would be once were married!

Is there not any way I could obtain a work permit or anything whilst were waiting for the visa to be processed? I mean 6 months off would be lovely but I wouldn't know what to do with myself. What options do I have, or what do people tend to do in this time period?

And thanks for the quick response and wishing of luck, all information helps.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, good - I was just checking that you weren't planning on applying as her common-law spouse now rather than waiting for the wedding.

You could return to the UK and work there whilst it's being processed, or if you wanted to work in Canada you'd need to get a work permit, but there's no route to a work permit from an outland spousal app. So you'd need to find a job offer and get a LMIA, unless another IEC is an option?

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 26th 2014 at 10:19 am.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Well my educational background is a degree in media/marketing but I've been working in retail management for the past 4/5 years so I'm not sure about job sponsorship as its not skilled profession is it?

As for an IEC I've never done it and not entirely sure about what it is? If I was in Canada on a visitors visa or in the process of PR could I apply for this IEC or would I need to be in the UK to apply? Again is that a complicated process and do I need any specific paperwork to apply, Is it difficult to obtain?

Sorry about all the questions, just want to be prepared because I know its not an easy process.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ninum88
As for an IEC I've never done it and not entirely sure about what it is?
That's odd. I was just going on your first post on the forum which said 'from reading these forums the IEC visa seems to be the best way to get your foot in the door so i'll be applying for that when they release them'.

Hence my assumption that you knew about IECs and that was in fact your current visa status. Are you posting using somebody else's account?

In any event, a quick Google or forum search will tell you all about the IEC, from what you've said that or waiting for PR via spousal sponsorship are your only options, as finding an employer to do a LMIA would be very tricky. You can apply for the IEC from Canada.

Good luck.