Security Check

Old Aug 17th 2004, 6:16 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Talking Security Check

I already received my IA, interview waiver, and request for medicals a month ago. I was only asked for a police certificate from the US. I grew up in the United Arab Emirates and stayed there until I was 18 years old and 6 months and a few days. When I sent my application, I didn't send a police certificate from the UAE.

Considering the fact that they didn't ask me for a police certificate from the UAE, do you think they will run a security check in the UAE? I'm just trying to gage how long my security check will take. I would think it will be relatively fast if it was only done in the US.

Any input?
Old Aug 17th 2004, 6:24 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Security Check

There is really no way to guage how long your application will take. It would be nice but there is such variability nowadays that averages are made up from widely differing data. It will be at least 4 months but could be much longer depending upon where youare living now and what other countries you may have spent time in.
Jim Humphries, former visa officer
Originally Posted by MJ23
I already received my IA, interview waiver, and request for medicals a month ago. I was only asked for a police certificate from the US. I grew up in the United Arab Emirates and stayed there until I was 18 years old and 6 months and a few days. When I sent my application, I didn't send a police certificate from the UAE.

Considering the fact that they didn't ask me for a police certificate from the UAE, do you think they will run a security check in the UAE? I'm just trying to gage how long my security check will take. I would think it will be relatively fast if it was only done in the US.

Any input?
Old Aug 17th 2004, 6:38 am
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
There is really no way to guage how long your application will take. It would be nice but there is such variability nowadays that averages are made up from widely differing data. It will be at least 4 months but could be much longer depending upon where youare living now and what other countries you may have spent time in.
Let me rephrase my question, considering the facts I mentioned in my earlier post, from Immigration law point of view, did I live in one country (The US) or two countries (The US and the UAE)?. I'm wondering, because they only asked for a police certificate from the US. Obviously, it will be faster if they only checked in the US and not in both the US and UAE.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 7:04 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

OK. The police certificate is separate from the background and securitysheck so it is not a clue as to processing speed. I think that you will be seen as only a resident of the USA. But others may have a different opinion, including those who make the decision as to how and where to conduct background checks. Its not satisfactory but it is the way things are.
Let me rephrase my question, considering the facts I mentioned in my earlier post, from Immigration law point of view, did I live in one country (The US) or two countries (The US and the UAE)?. I'm wondering, because they only asked for a police certificate from the US. Obviously, it will be faster if they only checked in the US and not in both the US and UAE.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 7:10 am
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
OK. The police certificate is separate from the background and securitysheck so it is not a clue as to processing speed. I think that you will be seen as only a resident of the USA. But others may have a different opinion, including those who make the decision as to how and where to conduct background checks. Its not satisfactory but it is the way things are.
Thanks for your reply! One thing I learned from going through immigration laws in the US and Canada, is that nothing is for sure Although, I have to say that Canadian immigration laws are much clearer than the US. Atleast I feel that I'm persumed to be innocent until proven guilty!
Old Aug 21st 2004, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Aspirant2000 is an unknown quantity at this point

While we are in the topic of security check, how does one know that the application is currently undergoing security/background checks? Is there a hidden field in the CAIPS Notes that says the security checks have been initiated for the applicant?

Everyone seems to be taking for granted that the security checks is initiated after IA or Waiver, but how do the immigration officials know that an application has been sent to some agency or someone for security checks?

-Aspirant2000

Thanks for your reply! One thing I learned from going through immigration laws in the US and Canada, is that nothing is for sure Although, I have to say that Canadian immigration laws are much clearer than the US. Atleast I feel that I'm persumed to be innocent until proven guilty!
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 12:52 am

Every case is submitted for the background checks including security.

Originally Posted by Aspirant2000
While we are in the topic of security check, how does one know that the application is currently undergoing security/background checks? Is there a hidden field in the CAIPS Notes that says the security checks have been initiated for the applicant?

Everyone seems to be taking for granted that the security checks is initiated after IA or Waiver, but how do the immigration officials know that an application has been sent to some agency or someone for security checks?

-Aspirant2000