Second Medical required! Why?

Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:27 am
Just Joined

wazoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Second Medical required! Why?

Ok, so i am currently applying for my PR status under the spousal sponsorship. After countless sleepless nights making sure i completed all the documents required i sent off my application and had the required medical.

The question is that i have now (two and a half months later) recieved a letter requireing a further medical and a sealed envelope which i need to give to the doctor. To say the least i am a little concernd and curious to what further tests they could want done and whats in this taped down and stappled letter.

If anyone else has gone through this please let me know and what to maybe expect.

Many thanks in advance
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:25 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Second Medical required! Why?

Original medicals results showed something what needs to be tested further - it may be something completely innocent (like poor quality X-ray, little infection in urine, etc.) or something more serious requiring longer tests. You won't know what it is all about until you return to the DMP who originally examined you and she or he opens the envelope.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

try to put your mind at rest
the dmp has an obligation to tell you directly and urgently if there is something seriuosly wrong with you so if your medical was ages ago this will not be the reason for a repeat

i would be climbing the walls !!! but please dont and keep us informed good luck
more likely to be as am says a faulty x ray or something.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

i would also be opening that envelope!!! and pleading innocent afterall you did it acidentally didnt you
Old Sep 11th 2008, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys will be going on Friday so will keep you updated. Just hope that its a re-xray or something simular. Strange the Doctors wouldn't have called me in themselves if this was the case sooner but will see.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wazoo
Thanks guys will be going on Friday so will keep you updated. Just hope that its a re-xray or something simular. Strange the Doctors wouldn't have called me in themselves if this was the case sooner but will see.
In my case it was TB testing.
But it could be anything really: high BP (if thats the case, you'd be asked for serum creatine test), urine (however if your urine is abnormal, you would have been told that right away), Xray (were any of yours ever abnormal?) HIV/Syphilis (sometimes those give false positives, and applicants are asked to retest.)
All you can do - just relax for now whatever it is, you'll figure it out.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 7:55 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes it is as simple a neglecting to have your eyes tested with your glasses or even just signing the darn thing.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 8:42 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

I'll echo the other posters, tthat anything serious they HAVE to advise yourself or your doctor straight away.

but anything like BP or minor it sounds ridiculous, as you stated this is a spousal sponsor app, you are classed as excessive demand exempt anyway, so unless you are a risk to the general population you will not be turned away on medical grounds.

I'm going to go with the fact that the DMP missed something from your app or the x-ray was of poor quality.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Second Medical required! Why? (Update)

Ok, so it appears that even though the Doctor i had the medical with saw nothing in my original X-ray, immigration doctors said they saw something and want me to re-take the x-ray plus have sputum test taken for TB reasons.

I'm ok with this even though it will have more of a delay in my application but in reading some websites about TB it seems that a vacsination i had in the UK when i was a child (BCG) can cause a false positive. I would have thought they would know this in advance. Wondering what to do if they come back and say it's positive now.

I suppose only time will tell.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:20 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

BCG shouldn't produce a false positive on xray only on a skin test.

I wonder if you have resided in any countries where TB is endemic , thus making them a bit twitchy about any marks on your Xray.

still if the sputum test comes back negative , then no worries.

At the very absolute worst you will have to delay until you've had any treatment needed. They will not refuse you , just make you wait until it is all clear !!

Best of luck and do let us know how you get on.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Second Medical required! Why? (Update)

Ok, so at least now you know its abnormal Xray that raised red flags.
First of all, do not freak out. Chances are that you don't have it. However, keep in mind:

-BCG vaccine that you had in the past HAS NOTHING to do with the fact that your XRAY is (possibly) abnormal. This is a huge misconception out there. The only thing that BCG might cause false positive on, is a skin test (Mantoux). They rarely do these for adults (well, at least where I am from) due to the fact that by age 20-30 about 80% of all population are TB carriers, that is they all were exposed to TB bacilli and skin test would should a positive. But this does not mean they have an active disease. This is less true for North America, primarily due to the fact that TB is very rare here, plus they dont do BCG in NOrth America, thus skin test would results are more or less accurate and usable.

-Abnormal XRAY basically means that your lung paranchyma (just a fancy word for lung tissue) has an abnormality, either a nodule, fibrosis or god forbid
cavity or a lump.

-DMP is not a radiologist, very few doctors can actually read xrays. So for him not seeing anything means nothing. However, when you took your xray, radiologist should have created and attached a report. We can only guess whats in there. The good news is that the radiologists report probably didnt show anything significant, otherwise, your DMP is obliged to send you for additional testing even before the results are mailed to Immigration. That is just a common practice.

-What you can do though, go and take another XRAY in the hospital and ask for the radiology report. Don't worry about the radiation exposure, its very small, but at least you will know for a fact if there is anything suspicious in your lungs. Moreover, second opinion is always good to have handy.

- It might not be necessarily TB. If you have had a pneumonia in the past, this could leave scaring in your lungs as well. It could be due to some other bacilli or fungi. So, the only way to figure out if you have a TB bacillus in your lungs or not is to do sputum tests. Now, keep in mind these could take anywhere between 2-4 months of labwork. So, prepare to be patient. Usually, the rule is to take 3 sputum samples, in the mornings 3 consecutive days.

-What to do if it comes back positive? well, than immigration should be the least of your concerns. You will have to get treatment. Period. There are no other options. And treatment takes anywhere between 6-26 months. Again, I am 99% sure you will be just fine and the results will come negative. So keep up the good spirits

Ok, so it appears that even though the Doctor i had the medical with saw nothing in my original X-ray, immigration doctors said they saw something and want me to re-take the x-ray plus have sputum test taken for TB reasons.

I'm ok with this even though it will have more of a delay in my application but in reading some websites about TB it seems that a vacsination i had in the UK when i was a child (BCG) can cause a false positive. I would have thought they would know this in advance. Wondering what to do if they come back and say it's positive now.

I suppose only time will tell.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Second Medical required! Why?

Hi Guys!

So the news so far is that today i received in the post a 1 year work permit indicating the following on the bottom:

TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(6) APPLICATION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE HAS BEEN RECEIVED INITIAL APPROVAL LD-B

I know it's not a final decision but at least i can keep working and show my present employer my new visa, as they were getting fussy about the implied status thing.

Another small step forard. Hope it's not too long now. Oh, and i am now a proud daddy lol to a baby girl!

thanks guys for all your support!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys!

So the news so far is that today i received in the post a 1 year work permit indicating the following on the bottom:

TEMPORARY RESIDENT STATUS MAINTAINED AS PER R183(6) APPLICATION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE HAS BEEN RECEIVED INITIAL APPROVAL LD-B

I know it's not a final decision but at least i can keep working and show my present employer my new visa, as they were getting fussy about the implied status thing.

Another small step forard. Hope it's not too long now. Oh, and i am now a proud daddy lol to a baby girl!

Congratulations on your new baby girl, sleepless nights and all
Good news on the PR side hope you get that soon,
Did you find out what was on the Xray ?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Hi Guys!

Congratulations on both counts!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:11 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, did you have to pay more fees?

I also had a subsequent visit to the doc with that sealed envelope. I had to pay exactly the same amount again as the original tests (separate to the medical itself) because the full fee applied for any number of tests.

One little blood test cost the same as all the original tests that also included X-Rays.

Had the doc requested that test at the original medical (indications were that he could have) I wouldn't have paid twice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.