Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Second IEC visa delayed, can I flagpole?

Second IEC visa delayed, can I flagpole?

Old May 12th 2012, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Manc-lass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Second IEC visa delayed, can I flagpole?

Hello everyone

My second IEC visa is late by two weeks, I applied in January! and despite emailing them numerous times I haven't heard off them and my current visa expires on Monday

I'm really scared about going to the border and flag poling, I want to come back into Canada as a visitor and wait for my visa to come through, it surely can't be much longer, but I don't know if this is an option or whether they will refuse me entry.

I have never had an issue before with getting an IEC visa, they've always come with plenty of time to spare and so I assumed it would be the same this year. I didn't apply to change my status to a visitor 30 days before my visa expired as I thought I would get my visa on time like usual. So i'm worried the border officials might give me a hard time.

I am a UK citizen, I have paper work to show that I have applied for my visa and that I am waiting for it, but I don't know if this will be enough. I'm not on an implied status as the IEC is processed by the Canadian embassy in the UK.

I dont really know wha to do, I don't want to get stuck at the driving border in Montana.

Has anyone been in this situation or does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks in advance,
Old May 12th 2012, 12:57 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Second IEC visa delayed, can I flagpole?

You state you have "always" received IEC visas with plenty of time to spare. I know you thread title says second IEC visa, but how many have you had (did you have a BUNAC permit previously)?

If you have been outside the UK for more than 18 months in the past 3 years you won't qualify for another IEC Permit, which may be the reason for the delay at CHC London.

As for what to do...I don't know. Either you head back to Europe or you try to flagpole - not much more to it than that. Remember both the US and Canada don't have to let you into their respective country's. Just don't overstay.
Old May 12th 2012, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Manc-lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thanks for the reply I've been in Canada for a year and a half, with a 6 month gap in between, I went back to the uk for 6 months so I'm good, I'm on my first IEC and before that I had a holiday working visa, so I'm ok for my 2nd IEC.

I'm just a bit concerned that they wont let me back in while I wait. I don't want to go home.
Old May 13th 2012, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

UK_Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Manc-less,

Sorry, this is irrelevant to your thread as I have no clue what you could do but i was wondering if you can give me some advice as I am arriving in Canada in July on the IEC.

Any advice you could give on what I should take with me etc would be great, especially in regards to documents from the uk in order to get bank accounts/drivers license/work etc??

It's getting close now and I'm starting to panic, but excited all the same!

Where abouts in Canada are you and did you find it easy to get work and meet people?

Look forward to hearing about your experience!
Old May 13th 2012, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

UK_Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

*Manc-lass* sorry
Old May 13th 2012, 7:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc-lass
Thanks for the reply I've been in Canada for a year and a half, with a 6 month gap in between, I went back to the uk for 6 months so I'm good, I'm on my first IEC and before that I had a holiday working visa, so I'm ok for my 2nd IEC.
Just checking, but you have spent at least 18 months in the UK out of the past 3 years? Just that you say you've been in Canada for a year and a half, so I'm wondering how close you are to the time limit and if that's what has delayed your second IEC application?

Good luck with it.