A Scottish wedding

Old Jan 1st 2016, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

tomsteetley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Scottish wedding

Hello,

My partner and I are looking at getting married in Scotland before we file for sponsorship. She's Canadian and currently in the UK with me on a UK ancestry visa. Does the application or legalisation change in anyway if we choose to marry in Scotland instead of England?

Tom
Old Jan 1st 2016, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Scottish wedding

I am not exactly sure what you are asking but here's a couple of links about getting married in Scotland if you're not from the EEA:

Registering Civil Partnership in Scotland | National Records of Scotland

and advice from the Canadian government:

Marriage overseas - Travel.gc.ca

and the UK Government webpages:

https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-p...ships/overview

As long as the marriage is recognised in the country where it takes place and meets Canadian (federal) law, then it will be recognised by CIC. This is from the CIC glossary:

Married means that two people have had a ceremony that legally binds them to each other. This marriage must be recognized under the laws of the country where it was performed and under Canadian law.

Glossary

S
Old Jan 1st 2016, 10:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No difference whatsoever.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Not sure on Scotland but be aware your wife may need to 'give notice' at a register office in a main city who are able to verify she is in the UK legally. This happened with me and my US wife where she had to go to the central office in Nottingham whilst I could give notice in my local one.