Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

are school letters needed before applying for dependants' visas?

are school letters needed before applying for dependants' visas?

Old Sep 20th 2016, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

CLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default are school letters needed before applying for dependants' visas?

Hi,

I have started my visa paperwork today. I have a job offer which is LMIA exempt. I need to apply for an open work visa for my spouse and have been told I need to get study visas for my school aged children.

On the CIS website is says I need to provide a letter of acceptance from the educational institution.

Is it the case that I need to register my child with a school BEFORE I can apply for a visa?
Old Sep 20th 2016, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are school letters needed before applying for dependants' visas?

Not sure who's told you you need study permits, but that's not correct.

School age children of TWP holders can attend school without needing a study permit.

HTH.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:43 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

+1

You can obtain your work permit and your wife's open work permit at the port of entry, at that time you would ask for visitor records for your children. This is sufficient for education (unless they are Uni age). There is no need to apply online for any of these!

Old Sep 25th 2016, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

CLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond reputeCLW78 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

I'm a bit confused. I got the following response from the email address linked to the Canadian embassy. (from [email protected])

This is the response I received to my questions about visa requirements for my spouse and children.

"The spouse or common-law partner of a work permit applicant may be eligible to apply for an open work permit. To apply for this, a separate fee and work permit application form must be submitted by the spouse. If you have accompanying child (ren) aged 6-18 years who will be attending primary or secondary school in Canada, they must obtain a study permit before entering Canada. If they are of school age, they are required to complete a separate application form, and the processing fee for their study permit must be included in your application. However, if you are destined to the province of Quebec, you must apply for the study permits after arrival in Canada. Study permits are not required for children attending kindergarten or nursery school under the age of 6."

Has this changed recently then? I'm feeling rather lost on the whole visa process tbh :-(
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLW78
Hi folks,

I'm a bit confused. I got the following response from the email address linked to the Canadian embassy. (from [email protected])

This is the response I received to my questions about visa requirements for my spouse and children.

"The spouse or common-law partner of a work permit applicant may be eligible to apply for an open work permit. To apply for this, a separate fee and work permit application form must be submitted by the spouse. If you have accompanying child (ren) aged 6-18 years who will be attending primary or secondary school in Canada, they must obtain a study permit before entering Canada. If they are of school age, they are required to complete a separate application form, and the processing fee for their study permit must be included in your application. However, if you are destined to the province of Quebec, you must apply for the study permits after arrival in Canada. Study permits are not required for children attending kindergarten or nursery school under the age of 6."

Has this changed recently then? I'm feeling rather lost on the whole visa process tbh :-(
Its not changed for a number of years. That is the standard response if applying via an overseas office which in your case you don't need to.
You have a job which is LMIA exempt and entitles your spouse to an open work permit and you have kids. You simply show up all together with the paperwork required for your job i.e. job offer/contract and other relevant documents to your employment. You then ask for the SOWP and visitor records for the kids and thats it. Pay the $155 for the SOWP and $100 processing fee for it. Visitor Records are FREE. Your work permit should have had the $230 compliance fee paid by the employer and you would pay the $155 for the work permit.
If you are all UK passport holders then no need to apply via the visa office as all can be done at a POE.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

My husband is a German national (resident in UK for 19 years). Would you know if it is still the case if he can get the SOWP at a POE?

And just so I'm clear, we should be able to apply for all of our paperwork once we land seeing as I have a contract and proof of LMIA exemption? Do we just need to sort out the ETA?
Old Sep 25th 2016, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is a German national (resident in UK for 19 years). Would you know if it is still the case if he can get the SOWP at a POE?

And just so I'm clear, we should be able to apply for all of our paperwork once we land seeing as I have a contract and proof of LMIA exemption? Do we just need to sort out the ETA?
Yes eTA required plus husband holds a visa exempt passport so no need to go through the visa office.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

I have decided that this forum is going to be the FIRST point of contact for any of my future questions!!! Thank you everyone.
Old Sep 26th 2016, 8:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as said above you've just been given a standard response, which is incorrect and isn't relevant to you at all.

If in doubt, check the CIC website where it says:

Generally, minor children need to apply for a study permit from outside of Canada, if they want to go to study in Canada. However, a minor child can go to school without a study permit if:

one parent (biological or adoptive) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident; or
one parent (biological or adoptive) is permitted to study or work in Canada; or
neither parent is physically in Canada.

Can a minor child go to school in Canada without a study permit?

HTH.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Can I also ask one more question? Do we need to say anything specific at POE about multiple entry (as we will need to head back to UK during 2 year work period) and I am likely to need to travel to US for work-related business.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can I also ask one more question? Do we need to say anything specific at POE about multiple entry (as we will need to head back to UK during 2 year work period) and I am likely to need to travel to US for work-related business.

Thanks in advance.
No you can travel as much as you want on the documents issued.
Old Oct 10th 2016, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

On CIS website it mentions the need for a Letter of Introduction to accompany all paperwork for POE applications. Is the Letter of Introduction one's offer of employment or is this something else?
Old Oct 10th 2016, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick thought has your husband thought of getting a UK passport before leaving the UK?
Old Oct 10th 2016, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On CIS website it mentions the need for a Letter of Introduction to accompany all paperwork for POE applications. Is the Letter of Introduction one's offer of employment or is this something else?
The LOI is issued by the overseas visa offices that applicants apply through when requesting work/study permits. Those eligible to apply at a POE are not issued with the LOI but it is their responsibility to prove that they are LMIA exempt and have a job etc etc.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

We have had a discussion about this as Brexit (may?) take effect while we are out of the country. Being an EU national returning to the UK post-Brexit may be tricky. He hasn't made up his mind on this. As a point of principle, he feels reluctant to do it (particularly given some of the most recent announcements) but we're equally aware of the need to be practical.

I'm just not sure we have the time to do that before we get to Canada.