Wikiposts

school

Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:38 am
Just Joined

nslover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default school

hi everybody...

me and my oh and 8 year daughter and mad dog..lol.have just applied for pr through the nsnp ci route in bridgewater ns.

we have our house on the market at the moment and hoping to sell soon..

if we sell the house soon we would be tempted just to move over to bridgewater and pay for our daughters schooling until we hopefully gain our pr.

does anybody know the cost of this or what paperwork we will need..
thanks nslover.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school

Presumably you are familiar with this? I doubt other school boards will be much different. Have you been in touch with the school board?

http://www.hrsb.ns.ca/content/id/264.html

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 6th 2009 at 7:00 am.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:48 am
Just Joined

hi.. i've had no contact as yet with the school board. but will be on monday.

i just wanted to see if anybody else has done this and what costs were looking at

thanks nslover...
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nslover
hi.. i've had no contact as yet with the school board. but will be on monday.

i just wanted to see if anybody else has done this and what costs were looking at

thanks nslover...
If you are there as visitors, then I don't think your daughter would not actually be eligible for schooling. Also, bear in mind that you wouldn't be eligible for anything like healthcare, and you may not be admitted for the full six months (it's up to 6 months so you could only be admitted to Canada for a month or two), so might be worth thinking about what you'd do if that were the case. Plus of course, you wouldn't be admitted if they suspected you were planning on staying, so you can't go with all of your worldly possessions or similar!

Sorry to be so negative, but just some things to think about. Some people on BE have done it before, and with great success, but they usually don't have kids and can live without earning for quite some time.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:35 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you are there as visitors, then I don't think your daughter would not actually be eligible for schooling. Also, bear in mind that you wouldn't be eligible for anything like healthcare, and you may not be admitted for the full six months (it's up to 6 months so you could only be admitted to Canada for a month or two), so might be worth thinking about what you'd do if that were the case. Plus of course, you wouldn't be admitted if they suspected you were planning on staying, so you can't go with all of your worldly possessions or similar!

Sorry to be so negative, but just some things to think about. Some people on BE have done it before, and with great success, but they usually don't have kids and can live without earning for quite some time.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

See the link for Halifax school board. It is possible, albeit personally risky in my view. They would have to pay for it though and find some form of medical insurance. Travel insurance may be a bit chancy as there would be the question of domicile.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:49 am
Just Joined

hi..thanks for your very fast and great advise.

i think we need to sit down and have a good think about it.

maybe we should just be patient and wait like everybody else..

thanks nslover
Old Sep 6th 2009, 8:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nslover
hi..thanks for your very fast and great advise.

i think we need to sit down and have a good think about it.

maybe we should just be patient and wait like everybody else..

thanks nslover
You could do it, but need to have an awful lot of cash behind you to support yourselves for potentially a year or two until you get PR, and personally with a child I wouldn't risk it.

But good luck deciding! Hope it all goes smoothly.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:04 am

personally with a child I wouldn't risk it.
Neither would I
Old Sep 6th 2009, 9:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Neither would I
But if I was young, free and single, and had buckets of cash I'd be on that plane like a shot!

Ah, the joys of responsibility.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:53 am

But if I was young, free and single, and had buckets of cash I'd be on that plane like a shot!

Ah, the joys of responsibility.
I used to do the get on a plane bit, but then a few later had to go back or I'd miss my ride. The cash was a bit on the short side though.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

Tomorrow is Labor Day so the school Board won't be there!
Even if you were to do it and pay privately, they would charge you International Student rates which are scarily high.
I too think it may be best to wait.