Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Scanning Canadian PR American Passport at US-Canada Border!

Scanning Canadian PR American Passport at US-Canada Border!

Old Jan 19th 2002, 4:28 pm
Jeandelize B Gonzale

Hello experts. Happy new year. This is the first time I have seen it happen. Here is
the story:

Half of the year I spend half of the week in the US and the other half in Canada .
The other half of the year I am in Canada. Something which is totaly legal. Besides,
my permanent reidence is in Canada.

The last time that I presented myself at the border (leaving the US and crossing into
Canada), after the immigration & customs officer looked at my landing paper and I
answered a few questions, he scanned a part of the back of the cover of my American
passport (the same page that contains the picture and has a few codes on it) under a
machine connected to a computer monitor (the monitor was not apparently on) before
giving it back to me.

After I went back on the bus, I asked a few people whether the officers had done the
same thing with their passport. They all said that their passport was not scanned. I
wonder what that was all about. Does anyone have an idea why they did that to me. If
you do, I would apprecaite your comment.

I thank you in advance for all your help. Have a great day, JGR

Old Jan 19th 2002, 11:30 pm
Stephen C. Gallagher

>
    >
paper
    >
    >
it)
    >
    >

The monitor may have been on. They're made so that you can't see them unless you're
standing directly in front of them. From the side, they appear dark. But I
digress......

>
had
    >
    >
    >

Scanning your US passport did two things. It performed a preliminary validation of
your passport (very last number in the machine readable section of your passport
data, is a validation number. All the data up to that point goes through a
mathematical formula to produce this last number. If the last number on the passport
isn't correct, then it's an indication that the passport may be tampered with or
counterfeit.

The scanner reads the information from the coded lines on the bottom of your
passport, and automatically puts the information into the CIC database. All they were
doing is keeping a record of your entry into Canada. Nothing to worry about. As to
why nobody else's passport was scanned, I don't know, but again, don't worry.

Stephen

Old Jan 20th 2002, 2:36 am
The Wizzard

i've had my UK passport scanned a couple of times on entering Canada, i just presume
it's a quick way to bring up all of yoru travel details etc, for example i was
concerned when i got my new passport that it looked like i had never travelled
anywhere before cos it was all new and shiny and i was going to visit my wife and
they might get all concerned i might not leave, where as my old one had lots of
Canada stamps and USA customs ones showing i went in and out a lto etc, so i brought
my old one with me , hehe, but of course it's not really needed as they can scan it
and see all the details i think of wether its been scanned before and you have been
and left. hopefuly tahts what it does anyway, then it's easy for them to see i have
been lots of times and am a regular visitor.

Drew

--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

Old Jan 20th 2002, 8:37 am
Pmm

Hi Stephen et al

[usenetquote2]> > The last time that I presented myself at the border (leaving the US and crossing[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > into Canada), after the immigration & customs officer looked at my landing[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > and I answered a few questions, he scanned a part of the back of the cover of my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > American passport (the same page that contains the picture and has a few codes on[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > under a machine connected to a computer monitor (the monitor was not apparently[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > on) before giving it back to me.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > After I went back on the bus, I asked a few people whether the officers[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > done the same thing with their passport. They all said that their passport[/usenetquote2]
was
[usenetquote2]> > not scanned. I wonder what that was all about. Does anyone have an idea why they[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > did that to me. If you do, I would apprecaite your[/usenetquote2]
comment.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Nice guess, but his passport was scanned by Customs, Immigration does not scan
passports. The passport is read and compared against the Immigration "Look Out"
list. This is the part of the Immigration Data Base which contains records of
previous deports, "watch fors" (suspected criminals, terrorists and the like) and
persons who have reported under the Immigration Act. It also contains the customs
watch for lists.

PMM