Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which route to take? Recent Graduate

Which route to take? Recent Graduate

Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

marwaha.ks is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Which route to take? Recent Graduate

Hi there, I am a recent graduate from Keele University graduating from ITMB - Computer Science. I would like to kick start my career in Vancouver, I do have relevant experience. However i am unsure of which route to take.

I have read somewhere that I need a job offer before i can apply for a visa, so I have applied for about 30+ jobs in and around Vancouver via Boards, such as Monster, Craigslist; Directly from websites, and Email. However not many are getting back to me, is this down to the fact I'm still in the UK?

I also have a partner there (Long distance.. tell me about it ) however due to the parents we cannot get married unless i move there, and the only viable way to move there is to get a job, get married then attain permanent residency, or bring her back to the UK.

All that being said, I am still unsure what to do, how to approach it, i have read the website regarding skilled workers etc, but for the life of me i cannot quite grasp the concept.

Please help?
Old Jul 24th 2011, 7:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which route to take? Recent Graduate

Forget the Skilled Worker route, because I can't see how you'd qualify.

For a Temp Work Permit, you'll need an employer not only prepared to offer you a job, but also to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. Hate to say it, but I can't see anybody going through the paperwork/hassle for a recent graduate with no experience.

How old you are? Sorry for the personal question, but if you are aged 30 or under, you could apply for a Working Holiday Visa which would give you a year's open work permit. If that's an option, then don't delay as there are a limited number of visas available each year and they are predicted to run out soon.

For other visa options, have a read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page). Also have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand why you are getting no response to your job applications (hint: pick up the phone or get out there, don't email!).

HTH, good luck.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Forget the Skilled Worker route, because I can't see how you'd qualify.

For a Temp Work Permit, you'll need an employer not only prepared to offer you a job, but also to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job. Hate to say it, but I can't see anybody going through the paperwork/hassle for a recent graduate with no experience.

How old you are? Sorry for the personal question, but if you are aged 30 or under, you could apply for a Working Holiday Visa which would give you a year's open work permit. If that's an option, then don't delay as there are a limited number of visas available each year and they are predicted to run out soon.

For other visa options, have a read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page). Also have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand why you are getting no response to your job applications (hint: pick up the phone or get out there, don't email!).

HTH, good luck.
Hey, thanks for replying. I'm 22, I've got like 3 years work experience alongside my university studying, my brother in law has his own company so I was employed on contract as an IT Technician, heh these old folk aren't tech savvy lol But the working holiday visa looks like a treat, would i apply for that without a job offer?

And sorry for you to state the obvious, can I work in vancouver the a working holiday visa? Would this be able to transform into a permanent visa if my employer loves? An what if i get married to a Canadian within (not a year, that'll be crazy) about 2 years (if i apply for an extension on the working holiday visa), 2 years seems like a good amount of time to be married in, I'd be 24 hmm, or 25 depending on when the dates set, lol sorry for thinking out aloud.. Sorry but to rephrase that question, how would my visa change if i were to get married out there?

Also picking up the phone to phone people in Canada would run up quite the phone bill, not sure thats a feasible option, unless is significantly raises my chances, what do you think?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm totally new to this, I visited Canada for a month in June, was soo awesome!! Went bungee jumping, hiking, sky diving, i absolutely loved it!

Thank you!!!

Last edited by marwaha.ks; Jul 24th 2011 at 7:28 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 7:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marwaha.ks
Hey, thanks for replying. I'm 22, I've got like 3 years work experience alongside my university studying, my brother in law has his own company so I was employed on contract as an IT Technician, heh these old folk aren't tech savvy lol But the working holiday visa looks like a treat, would i apply for that without a job offer?
Yes, you don't need a job offer for a WHV. There aren't many requirements tbh, other than a clean police check and a small amount of proof of funds (think it's only something like $3,000), and of course to be aged between 18 and 30.

And sorry for you to state the obvious, can I work in vancouver the a working holiday visa?
Yes, you can work anywhere in Canada on it.

Would this be able to transform into a permanent visa if my employer loves?
You can try and go from a WHV to PR, but it won't be easy to be honest. You may need to be prepared to have a Temp Work Permit in the interim - info on all of this is in the Wiki so please grab a cuppa and have a good read.

An what if i get married to a Canadian within (not a year, that'll be crazy) about 2 years (if i apply for an extension on the working holiday visa),
If you were married, then your wife could sponsor you for Permanent Residency. But, she could also do that if you are 'common-law spouses' and for this you don't need to be married, you just need to have lived together for a year or more. Many people on the forum have done this, gone on a WHV and then applied for PR as a common-law spouse as soon as that year is up, so that may be another option for you? If you do that, just make sure you start gathering as much proof of living together as you can, i.e. joint rental agreement, joint bank account, wills naming each other as beneficiaries, etc.

Also picking up the phone to phone people in Canada would run up quite the phone bill, not sure thats a feasible option, unless is significantly raises my chances, what do you think?
It doesn't just significantly raise your chances, it actually gives you a chance - which just applying via the internet isn't going to! You really, really need to read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how differently Canadians do things, and picking up the phone is the minimum really. Ideally, if you want a job offer, you'd need to approach people in person, but if that isn't possible then pick up the phone.

Also, I can't see why you think it would run up a large phone bill? Most companies these days include international calls in their standard package - I pay £6 a month and that includes unlimited calls to Canada (and other countries) plus landlines and mobiles within the UK.

I hope that the above helps, but I strongly suggest you read the Wiki to understand that advice you are being given and to figure out your visa options.

Good luck.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Aperture is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I am a recent graduate from Keele University graduating from ITMB - Computer Science. I would like to kick start my career in Vancouver, I do have relevant experience. However i am unsure of which route to take.

I have read somewhere that I need a job offer before i can apply for a visa, so I have applied for about 30+ jobs in and around Vancouver via Boards, such as Monster, Craigslist; Directly from websites, and Email. However not many are getting back to me, is this down to the fact I'm still in the UK?

I also have a partner there (Long distance.. tell me about it ) however due to the parents we cannot get married unless i move there, and the only viable way to move there is to get a job, get married then attain permanent residency, or bring her back to the UK.

All that being said, I am still unsure what to do, how to approach it, i have read the website regarding skilled workers etc, but for the life of me i cannot quite grasp the concept.

Please help?
If I were you, I'd do this:

1. Get a working holiday visa (BUNAC is the company that does year-long visas for British people who want to work in Canada)

2. Move in with your partner in Vancouver

3. As you look for a job/work, spend the entire year gathering information that will help you prove your relationship (e.g., sign joint leases, open joint bank accounts, take photos of yourselves together on trips and with family/friends, save all your travel tickets together, prepare family/friends to write letters of support for you, etc.); also save as much money as possible (see point 5)

4. Once you reach the 12-month cohabitation mark with your partner (probably around the same time as the end of your 12-month working holiday visa), submit the paperwork that would allow your partner to sponsor you for permanent residency

5. Prepare for the fact that it could be another year before you could legally work in Canada again (you could stay in Canada as a visitor during that time or move back to the UK for a year to generate income)

Another option would be to get the working holiday visa, move to Canada to activate it, then get married and immediately apply for PR via your spouse. (I'm not 100% sure if it's legal to get married and apply for PR whilst on a working holiday visa, so double-check.) If you did it this way, you may be able to overlap your WHV with your legal ability to work with PR.

Also, christmasoompa is totally right about picking up the phone. You have a slim-to-none chance of getting a job by e-mailing potential employers through job websites, especially since you don't already have a work visa for Canada. Best to arrange a visa first, then look for jobs (and to do so aggressively--in person is ideal, on the phone is okay if you can't, and exploiting any contacts you have is a must).
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Just a couple of things to add to Aperture's excellent response -

Originally Posted by Aperture
1. Get a working holiday visa (BUNAC is the company that does year-long visas for British people who want to work in Canada)
You can also get them directly through CIC now, and at less cost. CIC are gradually taking over the program and Bunac will be getting less visas over the next couple of years until they no longer have any.

5. Prepare for the fact that it could be another year before you could legally work in Canada again (you could stay in Canada as a visitor during that time or move back to the UK for a year to generate income)
If they do an outland application, then the OP should have PR within approx 2-4 months after applying, so it shouldn't take a year - only inland applications take that long.

(I'm not 100% sure if it's legal to get married and apply for PR whilst on a working holiday visa, so double-check.)
Yep, it's fine!

Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Just a couple of things to add to Aperture's excellent response -

You can also get them directly through CIC now, and at less cost. CIC are gradually taking over the program and Bunac will be getting less visas over the next couple of years until they no longer have any.

If they do an outland application, then the OP should have PR within approx 2-4 months after applying, so it shouldn't take a year - only inland applications take that long.

Yep, it's fine!

Awe!! You guys are AWWWEEEEESome!!!!! Thanks guys, love you both lol.. Okay i think i'll apply for the working holiday visa now!! Goto do some wiki-ing and googling first on how to go about doing so! and what CIC of Bunac is!

Thank you!!

Hey just to add more to the scenario, what is she can't live with me, like she is restricted by her parents, should i just get her to change the addresses on all her letters to my Canadian address or is that cheating the system too much?

Thanks!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hey just to add more to the scenario, what is she can't live with me, like she is restricted by her parents, should i just get her to change the addresses on all her letters to my Canadian address or is that cheating the system too much?
If by 'cheating the system' you mean 'would it be committing immigration fraud, be illegal, and have the potential to have me deported and my PR revoked', then the answer is yes.

If you cannot live together as 'husband and wife' (which is what CIC want to see with your proof), then you'll need to get married or find another route to PR. Whatever you do, don't lie about your relationship, because the consequences would be horrendous if you were found out.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

If by 'cheating the system' you mean 'would it be committing immigration fraud, be illegal, and have the potential to have me deported and my PR revoked', then the answer is yes.

If you cannot live together as 'husband and wife' (which is what CIC want to see with your proof), then you'll need to get married or find another route to PR. Whatever you do, don't lie about your relationship, because the consequences would be horrendous if you were found out.
Oo, crap don't want to do that! Im downloading the CIC as we speak now.!! OO exciting stuff!!

Just to clarify, does the Working Holiday Visa start as soon as it is issued, or as soon as go into Canada? I'm guessing its the former, but I'm all questions questions questions!! Sorry about this! You guys are such a great help!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Oo, crap don't want to do that! Im downloading the CIC as we speak now.!! OO exciting stuff!!

Just to clarify, does the Working Holiday Visa start as soon as it is issued, or as soon as go into Canada? I'm guessing its the former, but I'm all questions questions questions!! Sorry about this! You guys are such a great help!
The WHV is activated upon arrival in Canada. If you want to stay in Canada as a visitor for a few weeks/months before activating the WHV, that can also be allowed. (My British partner did that. He got his WHV approved in April--or thereabouts--then we arrived in Canada in August were he asked for visitor status, we searched for an apartment together, took a trip to the United States for a month, then activated his visa when we came back in September. You have to ask the the border patrol agent when you land in Canada.)

Also great news that you can now get the visas through CIC! BUNAC is fine if you're going to Canada for an actual working holiday (e.g., you don't know anyone and just feel like travelling for a year), but if you don't need the extras--like job search support, housing help, etc.--then a straight-forward visa from CIC directly is ideal.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 1:57 am
Just Joined

The WHV is activated upon arrival in Canada. If you want to stay in Canada as a visitor for a few weeks/months before activating the WHV, that can also be allowed. (My British partner did that. He got his WHV approved in April--or thereabouts--then we arrived in Canada in August were he asked for visitor status, we searched for an apartment together, took a trip to the United States for a month, then activated his visa when we came back in September. You have to ask the the border patrol agent when you land in Canada.)

Also great news that you can now get the visas through CIC! BUNAC is fine if you're going to Canada for an actual working holiday (e.g., you don't know anyone and just feel like travelling for a year), but if you don't need the extras--like job search support, housing help, etc.--then a straight-forward visa from CIC directly is ideal.
Cool! Thats a good way to do it, get a visitor visa, look for a job then once you've got a job go through the border again and get the WHV activated, Yeah!

But surely theres a time limit on how long u can keep a WHV without activating it? Like I'm sure you're not allowed to keep it in your 'back pocket' for 2 years just incase of a job opportunity?

Also does BUNAC guarantee a job, if you go for them?

Thanks!
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:22 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

No, some things you just have to do for yourself.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
No, some things you just have to do for yourself.
So why the steep price increase in relation to CIC?
Old Jul 25th 2011, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Cool! Thats a good way to do it, get a visitor visa, look for a job then once you've got a job go through the border again and get the WHV activated, Yeah!

But surely theres a time limit on how long u can keep a WHV without activating it? Like I'm sure you're not allowed to keep it in your 'back pocket' for 2 years just incase of a job opportunity?

Thanks!
Bear in mind that there may be official rules about looking for a job on a visitor visa (that is, it's probably discouraged if not outright illegal). We only looked for an apartment before activating it. If you want to look for a job whilst on a visitor visa, you should check with CIC.

And, yes, the WHV can only be activated until a certain date (I think about one year after you received it, but don't quote me on that--talk to CIC).

Neither BUNAC nor CIC guarantee you a job. Coming to Canada on a WHV is very much a DIY operation. (BUNAC offers some guidance through its travel centres, where they have job postings and through which they also host social events and orientation seminars, but the jobs there tend to be of the minimum wage variety.) In fact, my partner was unable to find a job in his field the entire year we've been here so far. You should be prepared to either live off savings until you find a job in your field or (more wisely) take any job you can get while you look.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Network, network, network, network. Find people in Canada, talk to them over skype/phone/linked in. Create opportunities.

That's how I did it, as a just-graduated student (I finished the degree in May and emmigrated in June). Heck at least you have an IT degree, I have a Bachelors in Music! I was able to find someone in Canada would I befriended and spoke to often in Skype, who was also starting an IT consulting company. He liked me enough to do all the work to get me a work permit - he simply didn't know any Canadians with my skills, personality and approach. Now I'm waiting for a new work permit working for someone else who I did work for under the other company.

If you put everything into it, it's possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.