Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which route should I take - Help please...

Which route should I take - Help please...

Old Jan 8th 2013, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really nice
Default Which route should I take - Help please...

Hi there I'm currently trying to move myself and my family out to Canada this yeat. I have canadian citizenship (father was canadian). My hubby has a trade so we were thinking that the easiest route to take is for him to get his AIT sorted then try get an offer of a job and then the job can offer an LMO for him and the kids to come over on.

My 2 oldest children are elligible for canadian citizenship via myself but my baby was born after 2009 so is not. So I would have to sponsor her and my hubby. Current processing times for citizenship is 13 months for minors. Sponsorship is 8 weeks. Does anyone know if that is true? I cannot speak to anyone in person as the australian office does not take calls so thought it might be faster and easier to try here. I have all the forms ready to send for the citizenship for the oldest two kids and I've managed to get 7 out of 27 items ticked off my sponsorship list. So I have a feeling you will be hearing alot from me in the days to come.

Its all so confusing my head feels like its going to burst.

Any advise on which way to go would be appreciated.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which route should I take - Help please...

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Your easiest/quickest route over (by a mile) is to get your husband PR through you, via spousal sponsorship.

It's going to be much quicker than him trying to find a job offer and LMO - the LMO alone will take 3-4 months going on current processing times, and he's got to find an employer prepared to go through the hassle/paperwork/wait of hiring him first.

I'm not sure how long sponsorship will take via a visa office in Australia (it's around 6 months for UK citizens), but you can check the processing times on the CIC website. You'll need to look at the time it takes for the sponsor (i.e. you) to be approved (which is probably the 8 weeks you've read about), then add on the processing time for the rest of your application via the applicable visa office.

Regarding your children, were you born in Canada? If not, when were the older two born?

If you do need to sponsor any of them (you won't if you were born in Canada, as they would be citizens by descent), then it would be the same family sponsorship as you'd do for hubby.

Have a look at the Wiki which has a really good article about spousal sponsorship, and the CIC website which sets it all out very clearly.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really nice
Default Re: Which route should I take - Help please...

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

Your easiest/quickest route over (by a mile) is to get your husband PR through you, via spousal sponsorship.

It's going to be much quicker than him trying to find a job offer and LMO - the LMO alone will take 3-4 months going on current processing times, and he's got to find an employer prepared to go through the hassle/paperwork/wait of hiring him first.

I'm not sure how long sponsorship will take via a visa office in Australia (it's around 6 months for UK citizens), but you can check the processing times on the CIC website. You'll need to look at the time it takes for the sponsor (i.e. you) to be approved (which is probably the 8 weeks you've read about), then add on the processing time for the rest of your application via the applicable visa office.

Regarding your children, were you born in Canada? If not, when were the older two born?

If you do need to sponsor any of them (you won't if you were born in Canada, as they would be citizens by descent), then it would be the same family sponsorship as you'd do for hubby.

Have a look at the Wiki which has a really good article about spousal sponsorship, and the CIC website which sets it all out very clearly.

HTH, good luck.
Hi there, no I wasnt born in Canada, I obtained citizenship via decent. My kids were born 2005, 2007 and 2011. So should I go ahead with citizenship for them and then just sponsor all kids and hubby? I've had a look at the wiki site and its answered alot of questions but one i'm stuck on is identification for the 2 older kids. It states on checklist that they must provide 2 pieces of personal identification such as a drivers licence and a health insurance card, one which must have photo on it. Obviously they dont drive yet, so would a passport be ok? Cant find info anywhere on it. Its also asking for proff that I was a canadian citizen when they were born. My canadian certifcate doesnt have a date when it was issued. Maybe I'm tired and just missing out on something.

Sorry just had another look and there is a year next to eye colour so I presume this is the date they mean.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

Last edited by Mrs. B.; Jan 8th 2013 at 9:01 pm. Reason: adding info