Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Which route to PR?? My situation... Help appreciated :)

Which route to PR?? My situation... Help appreciated :)

Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

andyhughes88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Which route to PR?? My situation... Help appreciated :)

Hi guys

I am researching and considering a couple of options and could do with some advice if you can help me please:

I am keen on moving away from the UK and want to head out to Canada next year to work and experience living in the country with the ultimate aim of obtaining PR in the future if all goes well.

I have been recommended by a BE member to apply via the IEC route initially and get a 12 month open work permit in the process. I would be looking to get work experience sorted asap after arrival in this skilled occupation area: "1224 Property administrators" as my work experience in UK for past 4 years since graduating is in this line of work.

I know the IEC permit is non-extendable and should all go well over there, I may be in a position where I want to stay and the company I’m working for wants to keep me on (hopefully). What options do I have to remain in Canada and continue work with a company after my IEC work permit expires? I understand I could apply for a TWP provided the company I am working for seeks and obtains a positive LMO. If I can obtain a two year TWP and continue employment with that company would I then be able to apply for PR via the CEC route if I count skilled work experience gained during my IEC and TWP permits?

What are the implications in getting a TWP arranged whilst in Canada on an IEC permit – I know this can be a time-consuming process and I wouldn’t want to risk nearing the expiry of my IEC and not having something in place. There is info out there but it lacks clarity and doesn’t relate to my circumstance (i.e. someone who has a Canadian gf and is considering marriage etc.)

Considering my plans do you think the IEC>TWP>PR via CEC is the best route to take or, considering my line of work (i.e. skilled occupation 1224: Property administrators) would I be better applying for PR in the first instance via an alternative method? Pros and Cons would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all advice shared!

Andy

Last edited by andyhughes88; Sep 10th 2012 at 12:55 am.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which route to PR?? My situation... Help appreciated :)

Originally Posted by andyhughes88
Hi guys

I am researching and considering a couple of options and could do with some advice if you can help me please:

I am keen on moving away from the UK and want to head out to Canada next year to work and experience living in the country with the ultimate aim of obtaining PR in the future if all goes well.

I have been recommended by a BE member to apply via the IEC route initially and get a 12 month open work permit in the process. I would be looking to get work experience sorted asap after arrival in this skilled occupation area: "1224 Property administrators" as my work experience in UK for past 4 years since graduating is in this line of work.

I know the IEC permit is non-extendable and should all go well over there, I may be in a position where I want to stay and the company I’m working for wants to keep me on (hopefully). What options do I have to remain in Canada and continue work with a company after my IEC work permit expires? I understand I could apply for a TWP provided the company I am working for seeks and obtains a positive LMO. If I can obtain a two year TWP and continue employment with that company would I then be able to apply for PR via the CEC route if I count skilled work experience gained during my IEC and TWP permits?

What are the implications in getting a TWP arranged whilst in Canada on an IEC permit – I know this can be a time-consuming process and I wouldn’t want to risk nearing the expiry of my IEC and not having something in place. There is info out there but it lacks clarity and doesn’t relate to my circumstance (i.e. someone who has a Canadian gf and is considering marriage etc.)

Considering my plans do you think the IEC>TWP>PR via CEC is the best route to take or, considering my line of work (i.e. skilled occupation 1224: Property administrators) would I be better applying for PR in the first instance via an alternative method? Pros and Cons would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all advice shared!

Andy
1) you can apply for a 2nd IEC which will give you an extra 12 months. You can then apply for LMO/TWP and then do the whole Canadian experience class. Your work whilst on the IEC if in a skilled position will count towards the 2 years you need.

2) apply for 2nd IEC, just in case, get a skilled job and apply for Provinvial Nominee which then will grant you a work permit until a decision on your PR application under the PNP rounte has been made. Or get a LMO/TWP and apply under the Federal Skilled worker stream for PR but you might have to get a 2nd LMO depending on the timelines.

Have I missed something?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the response nina. I had considered the 2nd IEC option, not sure if I can apply from within Canada though or whether it has to be in the UK? I know I would have to flagpole regardless to get my new work permit activated. I would like to use this as a last resort though really (just in case).

Ideally I would like to find skilled employment asap and go the TWP with postive LMO route, gain my 2 years skilled experience and then apply for PR via CEC. I just dont know what the implications are of applying for a TWP whilst in Canada working on my IEC permit.

Could an alternative be (and shoot me down in flames if I've misunderstood) to get out there on an IEC, find skilled work and an employer who wants to keep me on and apply for PR via the skilled worker class?

Thanks again!!

Andy
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Becks 7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I would wait to see how you like living there before making a decision to permanently relocate. I'm sure you will like it, but I never made plans to stay permanently until I had lived in the country for 6 months or so and realised I preferred it.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Becks 7
Personally I would wait to see how you like living there before making a decision to permanently relocate. I'm sure you will like it, but I never made plans to stay permanently until I had lived in the country for 6 months or so and realised I preferred it.
Good advice Becks, obviously this is all prospective and I'm not one to run before I can walk but I do like to prepare and have a good idea in my mind what I need to do in the event that I love it and wanted to stay.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Becks 7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Find a nice Canadian girl. Or guy.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Becks 7
Find a nice Canadian girl. Or guy.
That would make life easier... I think the girls over there may be slightly offput by my brummie accent, maybe my blue eyes may seal the deal though - you never know eh?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response nina. I had considered the 2nd IEC option, not sure if I can apply from within Canada though or whether it has to be in the UK? I know I would have to flagpole regardless to get my new work permit activated. I would like to use this as a last resort though really (just in case).

Ideally I would like to find skilled employment asap and go the TWP with postive LMO route, gain my 2 years skilled experience and then apply for PR via CEC. I just dont know what the implications are of applying for a TWP whilst in Canada working on my IEC permit.

Could an alternative be (and shoot me down in flames if I've misunderstood) to get out there on an IEC, find skilled work and an employer who wants to keep me on and apply for PR via the skilled worker class?

Thanks again!!

Andy
Yes you can apply for your 2nd IEC from within Canada and then flagpole.
Yes you can come on an IEC find skilled work, get an LMO + TWP then apply for PR under the FSW programe.
Have a look at the PNP programe too. You'd have to have a skilled job too and the employer has to be approved but basically the Province checks everything before they make you a Provinvial Nominee and therefore you won't need to sit the English test(IELTS) and have to submit less documents when applying for PR and have a workpermit until a decision is made.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

I think it is definitely worth looking at the possibility of a PNP nomination whilst there on my first IEC. If the company I am working for is willing to go ahead with this then getting PR status sorted is better than TWPs and obtaining LMOs.

If I was going through the process of PNP and it looked likely that a decision wouldn't be made until after my IEC permit expired would I still be able to work in the 'limbo-period' between expiry or IEC and decison on PNP, or would it be wise to apply for a second IEC to cover myself just in case?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

I think it is definitely worth looking at the possibility of a PNP nomination whilst there on my first IEC. If the company I am working for is willing to go ahead with this then getting PR status sorted is better than TWPs and obtaining LMOs.

If I was going through the process of PNP and it looked likely that a decision wouldn't be made until after my IEC permit expired would I still be able to work in the 'limbo-period' between expiry or IEC and decison on PNP, or would it be wise to apply for a second IEC to cover myself just in case?
You don't get implied status when your IEC visa expires. So no you couldn't work. And would have to get a visitors visa. And at least for the FSW=>PR route you will need a valid work permit until you actually get PR. Not sure about the others but it might be the same.
I would come over here apply asap for the 2nd IEC and keep it just in case. Then look which route you want to take. LMO/TWP/FSW/PR, PNP/PR, LMO/TWP/CEC/PR.
If you need more time activate the 2nd IEC. Worst case it's some money lost, best case it buys you time. To become a Provincial Nominee doesn't take ages (usually lol). I don't know what Province you are looking at. Once your employer is approved, then you apply and pay. If everything is ok you become a PN(You have to apply for PR in a certain time frame after becoming a PN) and flagpole to get your TWP. This TWP is usually for 2 years which will give you enough time for your PR application. If you needed more time then you will get an extension until a decision is made without further docs needed.